Do our fans understand modern football?

Think to be fair. 

The attitude towards Carlos in the early stages of his tenure (including the target aimed at his head) and as recently as 2 weeks ago "The jury's still out on Carlos", tells you all you need to know about the average level of intelligence, patience and understanding of the game demonstrated on here and indeed live at games.

Do Bears s**t in the woods?

Do football fans talk s**t?

Modern football?

Odd, because what I'm seeing are old fashioned things done well.

Players working hard as individuals and as a collective unit

A clear pattern and system which all the Players understand and slot into.

A clear to see team spirit which has been forged in the squad.

Not sure what's modern about that.

---------------------

As for taking the micky out of older fans who urge the ball forward quicker, I think it's all too easy to call them long ball merchants.

It is possible to get from back to front quickly without being a hoof it merchant. Just because some people aren't orators of modern technical speak doesn't mean they don't have a point.

Would their points be more valid if they all bought a Steve McLaren thesaurus and started saying "What we need here is to move the ball into the last zone quicker in our attacking stage of transition" instead of "gerrit forward"?

--------

Interesting too to note that the main talking points of the game. Namely our four goals and their sending off all came from quick first time delivery toward the Brentford box.

Down with this sort of thing. Etc etc etc

You still know nowt with all that experience?

i used to work with some guys who were (somewhat) on the 'inside' at a 'localish' professional club...

and they had an absolute 'flying' winger...

but he was so eager he was offside a lot...

so one week they set out to teach him the 'offside' rule...

it was like floggin' a dead horse, he was either 3 yards offside, or timed his run so badly he was 2 /3 seconds late settin' off...

they gave up on trying to 'educate' him...

the 'flyer' eventually went to a 'top flight' (i think it was still league division 1 at the time) side, but never came to anything...

so you can play football without knowing too much about it...

look at all the top quality footballers who've 'bombed' at management...

Professional performance yes, ran the game without risking anything, true. But that second half was boring. If we want more fans to pay over 30 quid every week then it's not the way to go about it. If we miss the auto spot on goal difference then we'll look back to this second half. With a 3 goal lead, 1 extra man and 45 minutes left to play to only come away with one more goal is poor.

not just me then that thought that.

I thought the job was mire than done in the first half. It allowed us to play with control and then spring to life in phases of play once we wanted. In 2nd gear. Yes at times it was a little boring, (probably because I'd had Hooper and forestieri to score twice in my bet) but it was well earned and something we can, with this side, now do. I'm sure it'll pay off in the long run.

The only thing that surprised me was the subs. I thought all 3 would've been done to rest our key players. But I suppose because we played at a canter there was no need!!

Modern football?

---------------------

As for taking the micky out of older fans who urge the ball forward quicker, I think it's all too easy to call them long ball merchants.

It is possible to get from back to front quickly without being a hoof it merchant. Just because some people aren't orators of modern technical speak doesn't mean they don't have a point.

Would their points be more valid if they all bought a Steve McLaren thesaurus and started saying "What we need here is to move the ball into the last zone quicker in our attacking stage of transition" instead of "gerrit forward"?

--------

Interesting too to note that the main talking points of the game. Namely our four goals and their sending off all came from quick first time delivery toward the Brentford box.

some are 'too busy' admiring the 'emperor's new clothes' they bought...

and of course it is all the latest 'fashion' on here to 'announce' to all and sundry that 'you are so knowledgeable on footballing matters'...

beats me, they complain about 'the band', then blow their own ****** trumpet all week long on here...

Think to be fair. 

The attitude towards Carlos in the early stages of his tenure (including the target aimed at his head) and as recently as 2 weeks ago "The jury's still out on Carlos", tells you all you need to know about the average level of intelligence, patience and understanding of the game demonstrated on here and indeed live at games.

Do Bears s**t in the woods?

Do football fans talk s**t?

watford ended up lookin' a right set of ***** with that 'champions' sign they'd had made up last term for the final game...

let's wait and see what we win before 'announcing' our success, eh?

Modern football?

---------------------

--------

All that's true.  But sometimes the team is playing patiently, looking for options: then the the options aren't there so the ball gets recycled back to central defenders or even the GK.  At that point the "gerrit in box" merchants get overexcited.  Obviously the ball has to get in the box, but it doesn't happen magically, and the quick strikes sometimes happen after two or three attempts to create positions have broken down.

Perhaps people expect too much.  Most passages of play inevitably fade out.  As it is, we seem at present to be capable of creating a decent opportunity every ten minutes or so, and scoring one in three.  Keep doing that and we really can threaten the top two

Circa 1970 brain 

so westwood's long direct ball to hooper then, we shouldn't count it?

i think the majority of you 'tippytappers' will find 'all aspects' of moving a ball forward should 'be open at all times'...

it may involve a multi man passing move for people to 'gush' over...

it may involve a winger 'skinning' a defender and gettin' a cross in...

it may involve a long 'early' ball allowing a front man to get one on one with a 'struggling to turn defender'...

trouble is on 'ere, there's way too many shoutin' "HEY LOOK, I'VE INVENTED THE WHEEL"...

Exhibit A your honour -: Bryan Robson

bobby charlton, billy bremner...

There's nothing wrong with direct football, I'll stick up for that style of play if we play it and we do well with it. What is wrong is demanding a direct style of play when we're doing well with a patient, possession style. That's the problem, people can have different opinions, preferred styles, views of what an idealistic Wednesday team would be like - that's fine. But it's daft to complain that the team doesn't play exactly how you want it to play, especially when the teams doing well. Learn to enjoy and appreciate it, don't get stuck in the past wanting 11 men chasing and harrying when we're 4-0 up.

Guest everydays_wednesday

Blimey......I hope all of the clueless idiots don't stop going or there will only be about 5000 genius tacticians there !

There's nothing wrong with direct football, I'll stick up for that style of play if we play it and we do well with it. What is wrong is demanding a direct style of play when we're doing well with a patient, possession style. That's the problem, people can have different opinions, preferred styles, views of what an idealistic Wednesday team would be like - that's fine. But it's daft to complain that the team doesn't play exactly how you want it to play, especially when the teams doing well. Learn to enjoy and appreciate it, don't get stuck in the past wanting 11 men chasing and harrying when we're 4-0 up.

it's maybe that our support isn't used to our side winnin' at a 'canter'...

and the management and players choosin' to 'keep their powder dry'...

the 'bigger' picture has to be a 'shot' at promotion, and as some have pointed out not beating a 10 man brentford 6/7-0...

There's a simple solution to this one: give out free copies of this at the next home game...

post-37726-0-37587600-1455448026_thumb.j

...and then initiate an entry test on the turnstiles at the following home game.

'Sorry, sir - you incorrectly defined the Standard Morphocycle, and your understanding of Tactical Periodisation leaves a lot to be desired. Your season ticket has been revoked; now sod off to the Lane!'

:manager: