How much do you think we've upgraded...?

Lewis Buxton                 Jack Hunt

Giles Coke                     Lewis McGugan

Dejan Kelhar                 Vincent Sasso

Gary Madine                  Lucas Joao            

Jacques Maghoma       Marco Matias

Rhys McCabe                Alex Lopez

Kamil Zayatte                Darryl Lachman

Chris Maguire                Ross Wallace

Chris Kirkland                Lewis Price

Of those who have left, Mattock, Floro and Yong are yet to be replaced.

Although we are yet to see how several recruits handle the Championship it's a clear upgrade in most positions - but probably not as much as most thought when DC took over?

I'm scoring 7/10

Guest ben29

If you look at the list on the left - who actually played regular first team for us? Maguire and Maghoma.

So most of the new guys are replacing fringe players anyways. We have definitely upgraded significantly as it stands. Let's just hope they can all gel.

Hopefully we now have round pegs for round holes.

For to long we've had makeshift winger's .

This.

Players playing in their natural positions and a squad with strength in depth. They need to gel and the tactics need to be right which might take time but things are definitely moving in the right direction.

C'mon you blue & white wizards!

No denying the squad looks stronger on paper.

Whether it will all click and CC can bring the best out of them is the question.

Lots of new players, plus quite a few who will need to get use to English football.

That goes for the coach and his staff too.

Edited by SiJ

Difficult to say at this point isn't it. Certainly looks stronger on paper, but who knows how the 5 foreign lads will do, if we have a player that regularly finds the back of the net this season then it could be a very good year. 

Which, as far as we know, we still don't have. 

I'd be a bit concerned if we are expecting the new lad to get all the goals. 

Saw with May last season what can happy when overly lofty expectations are placed on a young, largely unproven striker.

Think we need someone with a bit of experience and known how up top. 

Shame that those type of players will usually cost a small fortune. 

Team vs Watford - last game

43 Kirkland

36 Vermijl

15 Lees

2 Buxton

17 Helan

20 Lee (substituted for Isgrove at 77 minutes')

6 Semedo booked at 73 minutes

33 Melo Silva

10 Maguire

48 Keane (substituted for May at 77 minutes')

13 Lavery (substituted for Nuhiu at 37 minutes')

Team vs Brighton -first game

Westwood

8 Palmer

5 Loovens booked at 55 minutes

3 Mattock

15 Lees

19 Maghoma (substituted for Semedo at 81 minutes')

20 Lee

14 Coke

10 Maguire

4 Hutchinson

9 Nuhiu (substituted for Madine at 86 minutes')

Nobody really knows. It's down to your own optimism levels really. Personally I think those that have come in are better than those that have left in the main. There's more promise there overall. Then again I'd not heard of most of em so it could all go wrong.

We all hope it won't though don't we? So I'm gonna go with optimism and hope for the best.

As I said in the other squad comparison thread, if you are to include loanees in the right column, you should also do so in the left. Having said that, I agree with the premise that we are much stronger and that some of the players don't need replacing as they were as good as gone well before Xmas.

Lewis Buxton Jack Hunt

Giles Coke

Lewis McGugan. Lewis McGugan

Dejan Kelhar Vincent Sasso

Gary Madine

Will Keane. Lucas Joao

Jacques Maghoma

Lloyd Isgrove. Marco Matias

Rhys McCabe Alex Lopez

Kamil Zayatte Darryl Lachman

Chris Maguire Ross Wallace

Chris Kirkland Lewis Price

Of those who have left, Mattock, Floro and Young are yet to be replaced. And Coke, Maghoma, and Madine (except that GM had already left for Blackpool).

Which, as far as we know, we still don't have. 

I'd be a bit concerned if we are expecting the new lad to get all the goals. 

Saw with May last season what can happy when overly lofty expectations are placed on a young, largely unproven striker.

Think we need someone with a bit of experience and known how up top. 

Shame that those type of players will usually cost a small fortune. 

ALF?

The left side is a poor list really, apart from Kirkland (who would be backup) and Buxton (too many injuries now).

Didn't rate Maguire much either, scored pens but very poor decision making so few other goals/assists. Maghoma was awful. Only one I may have kept was Mattock but he was suspended too many games last year so no real miss.

So it's nearly all improvements to the squad. I really like our midfield now, our defence could still use another addition and we are looking good in forward areas minus one main striker hopefully to come (can't imagine the onus will all be on young Joao to provide the goals immediately).

Difficult to say at this point isn't it. Certainly looks stronger on paper, but who knows how the 5 foreign lads will do, if we have a player that regularly finds the back of the net this season then it could be a very good year. 

virtually as with any side...

a big threat up top covers a lot of shortcomings...

The left side is a poor list really, apart from Kirkland (who would be backup) and Buxton (too many injuries now).

Didn't rate Maguire much either, scored pens but very poor decision making so few other goals/assists. Maghoma was awful. Only one I may have kept was Mattock but he was suspended too many games last year so no real miss.

So it's nearly all improvements to the squad. I really like our midfield now, our defence could still use another addition and we are looking good in forward areas minus one main striker hopefully to come (can't imagine the onus will all be on young Joao to provide the goals immediately).

get jones in on loan, and buy alf, and we should be in with a shout (hopefully)...

depends how watertight we are at the back, i personally don't see the need for ball playing backs...

get in there, win it, get shut to one of ours, job done...