Can Lavery be our No.1 striker?

Read a quote in The Star from Lee Bullen, who said:

“Hopefully this call-up will give Caolan an extra lift and and he will comeback for pre-season training on July 1 full of confidence, well rested and wanting to show why he deserves to be our number one striker next season.â€

Makes me wonder how high our expectations for him are? I think he's a good player with potential, my brother thinks he is our best player, just wondering how many of you fellow owlstalkers think he realistically can become a 20 goal a season striker at this level?

Realistically is the key word. Take off your blue and white hat, or your doom and gloom hat, and let me know. Or just discuss.

“Hopefully this call-up will give Caolan an extra lift and and he will comeback for pre-season training on July 1 full of confidence, well rested and wanting to show why he deserves to be our number one striker next season.â€

Makes me wonder how high our expectations for him are? I think he's a good player with potential, my brother thinks he is our best player, just wondering how many of you fellow owlstalkers think he realistically can become a 20 goal a season striker at this level?

Realistically is the key word. Take off your blue and white hat, or your doom and gloom hat, and let me know. Or just discuss.

I don't know.  I haven't seen your brother play - is he any good? 

He certainly has all the attributes to become a 20 goal a season forward, he reminds me of Danny Ings, pace, skill, great movement and vision.

He comes across as a level headed lad, fingers crossed he will keep working to improve his game, no reason why he couldn't become a top player, the lads still only 22.

Potentially so.

He has a lot of good attributes, and although he isn't a youngster as such anymore, still has plenty of time to develop.

The injury he got last season was a bad one, and he's done well to remain patient, eager enough to go and seek games elsewhere and take his chance when it arrived here. All good signs from a personality point of view.

I don't see Lavery as an out and out striker, but as a left winger/inside forward he's got plenty of strings to his bow. As an out and out striker he doesn't hold the ball up well enough nor brings other into play, but as a wide man in a 3 man forward line, those weaknesses are nullified because they aren't required. All his strengths (finding space, running at players, cutting inside and shooting, crossing) are utilised out there. It's in this position I can see Lavery becoming a very important player both this season and in the future (and perhaps at the highest level).

He's excellent at creating half a yard for himself to shoot, very quick feet.

Just needs to work on his composure as he more often than not blazes it over the bar.

He could definitely be a 15-20 goal striker at this level in my opinion.

I would like to see him play out wide. He has the pace and energy to get up and down the pitch but doesnt have that natural instinct to be a 20 plus a season goalscorer. A few times last season he was caught on his heels when presented with good opportunities to score. Saying that I like him but feel he would do a better job out wide.