Alfreton Town v Sheffield Wednesday XI

Guest Saturday Owl

Not Megsons department.

There's a lot of things for MM to do at this club, perhaps scouting and the academy (the clubs future) should be higher on the list of priorities.

I'm not convinced that MM would see the academy as a priority. MM is here for the short, at a push medium term, gain. Would ploughing resources into the academy be part of a long term plan

One of my kids attended a school holiday football camp. One of the coaches was a big Wednesday fan and my young un was wearing a Wednesday shirt. The coach spoke to me at the end and told me that there was some potential and recommended I get in touch with an academy.

Wednesday fan kid spotted by a Wednesday fan coach, the academy they recommended?? The bLADIES academy. Says it all.

Not Megsons department.

There's a lot of things for MM to do at this club, perhaps scouting and the academy (the clubs future) should be higher on the list of priorities.

Surely Megson would have the final say - afterall they are his players.

Guest scott_andrew_william

I never thought I'd see the day when Alfreton Town is trending on twitter.

roger MY LIFE.

The people to blame are whoever arranged the friendly and decided no 1st teamers were going to be involved. Alfreton would give our 1st 11 a game they are the league below Rotherham thats all so why the big shock at scoreline.

No reason O'Donnell, Beevers, Reynolds, Reda, O'Connor & The trailist couldnt have played today then this score wouldnt have happened with Tumility, Nyoni, Oliver & Modest round them.

Just playing kids together in friendlys is plain daft as the only way they will develop is playing with better players.

First of all, there are absolutely no excuses for Sheffield Wednesday U18's being 0-14 by ANYBODY including Barcelona. And make no mistake, it's our strongest academy team. Cuff, Tumilty, Modest and Nyoni have all been around the first team set-up. Regardless of other factors, the players need to have a long, hard look at themselves, this level of performance is simply unacceptable.

Onto McAuley. I have never been a fan, and can remember quite a few of our fans saying he should have been the first team manager following Laws' tenure - laughable. Having seen his style of management compared to other academy managers from other clubs, I've been of the opinion for a long time that he shouldn't be anywhere near our club, he is completely counter-productive and is often vicious with his criticism. Again, I am not excusing the players, but it's no wonder their confidence is shot to pieces with McAuley in charge. I've personally seen him scream vitriol at players for misplacing passes, threaten to substitute a defender for clearing his lines and literally turn his back on the players during the last game of last season, preferring to watch the U16's instead.

His methods of developing players includes fielding youngsters out of position for months on end just to 'beef them up', and his recruitment process this summer consisted of giving up on local lads and journeying to Durham and London, where he apparently signed up four black lads after watching them play on public parks.

Of course there are different managerial styles, but he comes across as a bully to me, and he should have been sacked long, long ago, and Lee Strafford has a lot to answer for for offering him a five year contract, unheard of in youth football.

And while both the players and McAuley need to take large chunks of blame for their part in this disaster, you really have to question the wisdom of fielding kids against a senior professional football club. The academy has a long standing annual match with Dinnington Town seniors, who always provide a tough game and often beat the youngsters. For them to be asked to step up and play a side five divisions above Dinnington is not on.

Pro's that didn't play yesterday should have played today - where were O'Donnell, Beevers, Jones etc...? If they couldn't play, the fixture should have been postponed, the gulf in quality was simply too much and would help neither team in their preparation for the new season.

Alan Irvine was the man who started the trend of fielding the youngsters, a trend which was continued under gary megson, neither seemingly having any regard for the confidence of the kids who repeatedly took batterings on the pitch.

Thankfully the reserve set-up has been scrapped this year so the lads will only have to focus on playing academy football, which is tough enough for them as it is, but Milan Mandaric still needs to be asking questions as to why this fixture and result was ever allowed to happen, and why we are so lacking in strength in depth.

Megson stated when he took over that he had no interest in the acadamy, it is the first team that leads the club. I do agree to an extent, yes in the position we are/were in we need to be moving the first team forward, but the constant defeats and lack of any promising players suggests something is very wrong, i believe all acadamies are important, so for me we either change the approach to our acadamy or give it up because at the moment we are doing nothing for anybody.

Guest scott_andrew_william

More people are talking about this on Twitter, than the Gand Pix and David Silva ect.