Is anyone good enough?

Simple question

Sometimes, the players look like they are mostly lower Championship standard, with maybe one or two higher Championship, or having the potential to develop into one. 

Sometimes, they look as though they are barely league one standard

Sometimes, like yesterday, they start off looking ok - for the first half hour, there really wasn't much between the teams, then seem to decide they just can't be bothered 

Individually, most are ok I think, but a bunch of ok players will get ripped apart playing a team with just a few really top level players.

We also see that some players can look really good or really poor depending on the opposition. Johnson is probably the best example. If the opposition doesn't have much on the right, he is excellent, a constant threat and able to deal with their mediocre attacking. If they have a quality right wing or wing back, he might as well not even be on the pitch. Even Diaby showed that yesterday. Ignoring the fact he doesn't seem capable of concentrating for 90 minutes, and had very poor ball control, he mostly did pretty well- they had forwards who could easily be bullied off the ball, so he won challenges. Most teams don't, so he ends up just looking poor.

• Like 2

The vast majority of our players are squad players (at best) in the championship, starters in league 1 level.

With the except of probably Poveda and Bernard, none of our squad would be starting week in week out for a non-relegation battling side.

Even Bannan and Windass would mostly be impact subs or starting 20-30 games a season as rotation players.

The rest of the squad would struggle to start more than 10-20 games a season for an average midtable championship side.

Compare our squad to most of the other teams at the bottom and you’ll struggle to find a squad which is worse than ours outside of probably Rotherham - even then their keeper is far more valuable than any of our current players.

• Like 5

I think the signs of how far off these players are from competing in this league, where there in the first game against Southampton. I was shocked how superior Southampton were in every position. Obviously they had just come out of the PL, but we struggled to get 20% possession. Over the months, it's been excruciating how poor we are. Röhl got a tune out of them every now and again, but save for Bannan and the two loanees, I don't any of them would get a game for another Championship club - maybe Rotherham. Bannan's days are nearly done, and the 2 loanees will be gone after the last game. 

It's back to league 1 with a new team, built by Paxo - happy days!

• Like 2

Players like Gassama and Musaba are good enough on their day, but then again so were Leon Clarke and Jermaine Johnson. That doesn't qualify them as consistently good enough for this league.

Cadamarteri could make a Championship player, but too early to say. Ugbo is good enough, but we aren't signing him full time.

The rest, I'm struggling to see them getting into any other top half Championship squad.

• Like 1

I think some of our forwards could be awesome in other teams. But unfortunately we don’t have the defenders to play a back four, meaning we need 3 CBs. We don’t have the midfielders to play a midfield two meaning we have to play 3 CMs and at that point they’re all covering each other. 

I think we’d actually look half decent with another all around CM player and a LB. Playing 4231. Trouble is coaches have come in with same idea and then thought how do I squeeze Bannan in. Then we’re back to 532. 

• Like 1

Some are squad players for this level, but that's about it. 

What do they say? 

Better players make you a better player?

Well, we've got a team of average/poor players for this level. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I think some of our forwards could be awesome in other teams. But unfortunately we don’t have the defenders to play a back four, meaning we need 3 CBs. We don’t have the midfielders to play a midfield two meaning we have to play 3 CMs and at that point they’re all covering each other. 

I think we’d actually look half decent with another all around CM player and a LB. Playing 4231. Trouble is coaches have come in with same idea and then thought how do I squeeze Bannan in. Then we’re back to 532. 

You've done it now...

• Like 1

Yep, said it before. On a good day we have 3/4 average Championship players (Bazza, Windass, Johnson, perhaps Palmer/Patto) + Pavado and Ugbo. The rest are 5/10. Just not enough quality all over the park. And our best players are either injury prone or over 30. Bazza is head and shoulders above most, but he's 34 and witgout him we have zero creativity in midfield.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, doubleo said:

Yep, said it before. On a good day we have 3/4 average Championship players (Bazza, Windass, Johnson, perhaps Palmer/Patto) + Pavado and Ugbo. The rest are 5/10. Just not enough quality all over the park. And our best players are either injury prone or over 30. Bazza is head and shoulders above most, but he's 34 and witgout him we have zero creativity in midfield.

It will be interesting if Paterson and Johnson stay in L1. I expect Windass to leave and Bannan and Palmer to stay another year, although their success will be dependent on who comes in to play around them.

Not sure about Vaulks - was listening to the Sky summariser yesterday after the game, and he was saying Vaulks really controlled the midfield and was putting some good challengers in - but as soon as he was booked he disappeared - unfortunately this is his USP and it would be dependent whether L1 refs would be less harsh.

I honestly tly don;t think they are,maybe Poveda would walk into another championship side, Bernard perhaps, Bannan I doubt a team would take him because of his age, Gassama and Musaba would have to be more consistent

We are a very poor team in all honesty

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

We need another proper Clear Ahhhhhhht!!

A few pints of Wards and a curry at The Taj Mahal on Ecclesall Road usually sorted that out.

Showing my age now lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I guarantee we will stand a better chance with Palmer in for Diaby 

He can bring the ball out and play it into feet - Diaby has no f00kin idea once it’s into his feet and distribution is terrible

• Like 1