Players living near you

How many stars of the future  continue to live amongst their old mates?   Looking at some of the cars they drive and their change in circumstances, I would say, not many before they are whisked off to join the jet setters

It was not always thus

When Tommy and Jim   McAnearney came down from Scotland to sign for the Owls, they  were content to take lodgings  with a local family  sharing the front room, a bedroom and attic and basic facilities  with family

They got on well with local kids and it was not unusual for Tommy to have a kick about with the  lads in the street

Other players such as Redfern  Frogatt stayed true to their Hillsborough roots and Ronnie Starling owned the local news agency and was always available for a chat or advice given to the park players  opposite his shop

There were many more such instances which, IMO made the game more inclusive than it  is now

The gulf between players and supporters is getting wider which, for the locals is a shame

• Like 5

Unless you've got a few bob you're unlikely to live near players even in the 2nd tier now. I remember Mitch Ward lived opposite my Auntie in Eckington whilst he was at the pigs, was a decent road with big houses, but if he was that age now and playing he'd certainly be somewhere nicer. 

I imagine the young lads at Wednesday and United that don't yet have families will rent flats in places like Dore. Although it seems everyone famous who lives in Sheffield is around there. 

15 hours ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Unless you've got a few bob you're unlikely to live near players even in the 2nd tier now. I remember Mitch Ward lived opposite my Auntie in Eckington whilst he was at the pigs, was a decent road with big houses, but if he was that age now and playing he'd certainly be somewhere nicer. 

I imagine the young lads at Wednesday and United that don't yet have families will rent flats in places like Dore. Although it seems everyone famous who lives in Sheffield is around there. 

Yeah they do, I've previously done maintenance work on the flats just off Dore Road and Ryecroft Glen Road and met a few of the players. Kadeem Harris and Van Aken used to live in the apartments on Ryecroft when at Wednesday, Saido Berahino used to live in the new build apartments on Dore Road, Oli Burke and Ethan Ampadu lived in the same block when they played for the pigs. The new builds were going around 3/4k a month for rent, I remember Ampadu was driving an Audi RSQ8 which was brand new and around £100k+ at the time, he hadn't even broken into the Chelsea first team at that point and yet must have been on big wages even then.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Imre Varadi said:

I used to deliver John McGovern ex Forest captain and twice European Cup winners mail sometimes...he lived at Woodhouse.

Before my time, but seems crazy he didn't get a single Scotland cap when you consider the career he had. 

• Like 1

Did a removal job for Jamie Murphy (ex pigs) a few years back, before they sold him. Moved some stuff from a big house in Ranmoor which I guess he’d been renting to a flat on Psalter Lane.

Was pretty surprised how a bloke who was a similar age to me could afford such a huge house - then got to his flat where some of his shirts were framed on the wall and it made sense. Genuinely had no clue who he was until then. Nice fella though, tipped well!

4 hours ago, Imre Varadi said:

I used to deliver John McGovern ex Forest captain and twice European Cup winners mail sometimes...he lived at Woodhouse.

Used to play football with his lad. Despite being one of the few who was in awe of him (Jon), because I've always liked footballing history, it's safe to say his footballing genes were not passed on to his lad. 

Decent bloke though and was great as a kid to have someone like that even near our team

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kopman9 said:

Joe Wildsmith lives on my road round the corner although he just sold his house

Josh Windass, Barry Bannan and Chris Waddle to name a few also live near me

Totley?