Man of the Match & Player Ratings vs Ipswich (A)

Man of the Match & Player Ratings vs Ipswich (A)  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match?

• Beadle
    • Iorfa
    • Iheikwe
    • Bernard
    • Johnson
    • Vaulks
    • Bannan
    • Musaba
    • Poveda
    • Gassama
    • Ugbo
    • Valentín
    • Momo Diaby
    • Smith
    • Wilks
    • Famewo

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 24/03/24 at 18:24

13 hours ago, torryowl said:

a bad day , there commentator called it right after about 5 minutes that if this is how we going to play our back line is in for painful time ......i baled out when the 4th went in and at that  point we didnt have a man of the match so havnt voted .....

yes there 2 commentators said that within 5 mins that the room there players have in midfield is unreal  if they break the high press. i said to my kids hide behind the  sofa once i saw the line up and set up i thought it was madness at 2pm.  we would have gone too if it was not for the chaos trying to get there and back . 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Owlabroad2001 said:

Well that was a shocker. Abysmal performance and one that hopefully doesn’t damage our fragile confidence.

Beadle 4 pretty poor performance. Dawson Esq on the fifth. He’s ok but we need better next season 

Iorfa 4 really struggled against Davis who I think is the best left back in the division. One good run to set up Ugbo.

Ihiekwe 3 cannot play in a back four. Awful

Bernard 3 when the going gets tough he goes into his shell.

Johnson 2 probably his worst performance of the season. Looked like he thought he’d actually signed for Ipswich in January 

Bannan 3 did absolutely nothing 

Vaulks 5 one of the few to keep going

Poveda 5 lovely dribbler but gave the ball away cheaply a number of times. Could be curtains for us if he has a big injury 

Gassama 3 been poor for the last few games now 

Musaba 5.5 never gave up and a few bursting runs. 
Ugbo 3 non existent 

M. Diaby 2 he’s sooooo poor

Valentin 5 brighter than some

Smith 4 poor but held the ball better than Ugbo….twice! Still not good enough mind

Wilks 2 I don’t want see him again this season. Awful player. How could he not get that headed on target?

Röhl 2 Danny Danny Danny….what were you thinking with that formation? I just don’t understand him at times!

A special mention for Omari Hutchinson who I thought was absolutely outstanding. He will go on to play for England in my opinion. Also, Luongo showed what a massive loss he is to us. He ran the midfield.

completely agree with that . i have no idea either how danny Röhl thinks momo diaby wilks and smith are better than gregory and hendricks ,its simply impossible to be worse than those 3 who should be paid off and told to train elsewhere. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hyde2005

A reasonable summary bud. 

Our defence looked sluggish. 

When Famewoo came on and I saw him running back he looked really sluggish! TBH I wanted Iorfa-Ihiekwe-Bernard at the back. In front of them, Vaulks was a loner. We needed in January a ball winning midfielder. 

Marv is not a good defender! 

Neither is Pol Valentin. 

Palmer should av played at Ipswich. 

+

Never play Gassama + Musaba together from the START! 

My view was NOT to start with either of them at Ipswich. But 65 mins onwards.... maybe? 

I suspect Danny will bring back next game...... 

Dawson 

Bambo. Yes I know! 

Palmer for his experience. Good. 

Injuries again!!!! 

Worry now is how stretched we are if say if Poveda or Bannan etc are out. 

Our Squad is very weak if we are honest. Worrying. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Set up to fail vs a top side so a team 4/10

Agree only 1 of musaba/gassama start unless poveda injured

Beadles very young and seems to suffer away from home/under pressure, dawson recall?

We are a threat on the break but the risk/reward was dire attempting to high press, especially vs a side who can beat a fairly laboured press, easily carving through it to an unprotected defence

Defending our half, playing on break and pol instead of a winger in a 343 or 4141 wouldn't have ended up as 6-0, might even have frustrated/competed

Bannan being run into ground in a 2, inevitably injured, 2nd game in a row where a no10 has had alot of joy inbetween lines of midfield/defence.

Johnson good vs lesser sides when he can get forward but struggles vs quicker players defensively so needs more protection (lower press/mid block would help)

Still in survival race but need to adapt better to different opponents imo

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Hyde2005 said:

yes there 2 commentators said that within 5 mins that the room there players have in midfield is unreal  if they break the high press. i said to my kids hide behind the  sofa once i saw the line up and set up i thought it was madness at 2pm.  we would have gone too if it was not for the chaos trying to get there and back . 

The predictability of how a thin midfield is going to allow the opposition possession and put pressure on a ropey defence shows evident madness. Why does DR think these gambles can pay off? Seeing it at 2 pm  begs question of why he and the army of coaches could not see it. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Screen Door Slams said:

Beadle    -    4    Very shaky display

Iorfa    -    5    Not quite as awful as the rest of the defence.

Ihiekwe    -    4    Got bullied.

Bernard    -    3    Really poor , afraid I don`t see what a lot on here do.

Johnson    -    2    All day he had the air of a stroppy teenager who had seen his x box taken off him , abject display.

Bannan    -    3    As poor as I have ever seen him.

Vaulks    -    6    Better than most.

Gassama     -    4    Ineffective

Poveda    -    7    Not too far fetched to say our season could well depend on how bad his hamstring is.

Musaba    -    3    Really starting to annoy me how easily he just spaffs away possession.

Ugbo     -    5    Barely saw the ball

Valentin    -    5    

I assume we brought on M. Diaby , Smith and Wilkes just to show DC we have cr@p in depth.

Awful day , wasn`t expecting much but the manner of that defeat was very worrying....does DR take some blame ?...well , yes that`s at least one too many times we have set up that way with the same outcome.....strangely we set up more compact against Leeds at home than Ipswich away.

Swansea game is absolutely huge , as we need to shake this horror show off very quickly.

Very good points.

Ugbo “barely saw the ball”….he won’t if the manager picks both Gassama and Musaba as wide midfielders. We neutralise our main goal scorer.

SKy highlights showed how Johnson was a liability unable to run or defend, very exposed,  and a two man midfield swamped with Poveda clutching his left thigh as he tried to track back . We need Palmer behind  Valentin and James behind Johnson. We are far too thin on the flanks in defence and attack. Musaba a good impact player after 65 minutes. 

The manager ought not to pick a team which exposes all our failings which helps the opposition and depresses the supporters.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Beadle: 3 - All over the place.

Iorfa: 4 - Some good tackles, but was asked to mark Moore from corners and was beaten nearly every time

Ihiekwe: 4 - Also dominated by Moore. Chasing shadows. 

Bernard: 4 - Barely noticed him.

Johnson: 4 - I'm Marv's biggest fan, but he just kept lofting hopeless balls forward today.

Vaulks: 5 - At least looked angry that we were getting stuffed. Although one point when he received the ball on the half-turn under little pressure and just wellied it halfway up the stand kind of summed up that performance.

Bannan: 3 - Must have been carrying an injury, because that's probably his worst game for us in nearly 400. Should have blocked the first, gave the ball away for the third.

Musaba: 4 - Kept trying at least and nearly caused a couple of moments of trouble.

Poveda: 7 - Some brilliant runs, but felt like he was playing them on his own at times.

Gassama: 4 - Struggled.

Ugbo: 5 - Didn't get much service. Nearly got his shot away a couple of times.

Valentín: 5 - Did okay, but the game was already lost.

Momo Diaby: 4 - Played like he was half asleep.

Smith: 5 - Thankless task.

Wilks: 5 - Tried to make stuff happen.

Famewo: 4 - Defended just as well as the rest of the team.

We were dreadful. If we had been outskilled then fair enough, but it was more that we were outfought - Moore bullied us all game long. Shots that should have been blocked weren't. Luongo and Morsy gave us a masterclass in how to shield the ball and get stuck in. Our defence was chasing shadows.

Ipswich played well at times, but Kieffer Moore aside, that was similar to the Ipswich team we played and drew 2-2 with last season (worse in some ways, Chaplin, Clarke were injured, Burns limped off, so their understudies played). The players have to take half the blame for such a half-hearted effort, and Röhl the other half for setting us up in such an open way.

We had really found a solid way of playing with the 5-4-1, our last two away games were wins at Millwall and Rotherham. Instead he goes back to the back 4 that saw us:

Lose 2-0 at Leicester

Lose 4-1 at Coventry

Lose 4-0 at Huddersfield

Lose 4-0 at Southampton....

in our last 4 away games. Hopefully this is just a one-off aberration and we go back to playing with the fight and game intelligence we've shown in the past 5 games.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Iorfa: 4 - Some good tackles, but was asked to mark Moore from corners and was beaten nearly every time

Johnson: 4 - I'm Marv's biggest fan, but he just kept lofting hopeless balls forward today.

Vaulks: 5 - At least looked angry that we were getting stuffed. Although one point when he received the ball on the half-turn under little pressure and just wellied it halfway up the stand kind of summed up that performance.

Bannan: 3 - Must have been carrying an injury, because that's probably his worst game for us in nearly 400. Should have blocked the first, gave the ball away for the third.

Musaba: 4 - Kept trying at least and nearly caused a couple of moments of trouble.

Poveda: 7 - Some brilliant runs, but felt like he was playing them on his own at times.

We were dreadful. If we had been outskilled then fair enough, but it was more that we were outfought - Moore bullied us all game long. Shots that should have been blocked weren't. Luongo and Morsy gave us a masterclass in how to shield the ball and get stuck in. Our defence was chasing shadows.

Ipswich played well at times, but Kieffer Moore aside, that was similar to the Ipswich team we played and drew 2-2 with last season (worse in some ways, Chaplin, Clarke were injured, Burns limped off, so their understudies played). The players have to take half the blame for such a half-hearted effort, and Röhl the other half for setting us up in such an open way.

We had really found a solid way of playing with the 5-4-1, our last two away games were wins at Millwall and Rotherham. Instead he goes back to the back 4 that saw us:

Lose 2-0 at Leicester

Lose 4-1 at Coventry

Lose 4-0 at Huddersfield

in our last 4 away games. Hopefully this is just a one-off aberration and we go back to playing with the fight and game intelligence we've shown in the past 5 games.

Some great points. Most of us are really worried now and also frustrated by playing an under strength midfield , and 4  at the back against the better teams. Although we rarely know who is not quite fit, exception vs Leeds where we were told afterwards, there appears to be some tinkering going on. I thought we had learnt to play Palmer behind  Valentin ( or one or the other) down our right but that seems to have been dropped and Iorfa was at right back yesterday.

Playing both Musaba and Gassama together means it weakens midfield and removes the defensive cover for those at full back.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, torryowl said:

a bad day , there commentator called it right after about 5 minutes that if this is how we going to play our back line is in for painful time ......i baled out when the 4th went in and at that  point we didnt have a man of the match so havnt voted .....

Lightweight 🤣

• Like 1

Struggling with the MOM here as we were totally demolished.

Poveda was most forward thinking player before his hamstring packed up.

They did a job on Bannan first half and closed him down fast.

They also doubled up down our left and caused Johnson no end of problems.

Really struggling to give good marks for anyone.

Famewo was useless btw - not sure where he was playing 2nd 

Beadle:  4

Iorfa:  5

Ihiekwe: 5

Bernard: 5

Johnson: 5

Vaulks: 6

Bannan: 5

Musaba: 4

Poveda: 6

Gassama: 4

Ugbo: 6

Valentín: 6

Momo Diaby: 6

Smith: 3

Wilks: 2

Famewo: 2

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Emerson Thome said:

Lose 2-0 at Leicester

Lose 4-1 at Coventry

Lose 4-0 at Huddersfield

Such a good post.

Danny has to go back to what was working really well. 

We don’t need much. If we can take 4 points from our trips to Boro, Blackburn, QPR and Sunderland that’ll probably be enough to help keep us in this division. 

• Like 1

i thought we set off really boldly and it was just a matter of time before they exploited our full backs high line, time and time they were exposed and we didnt really do much about that till it was too late.

im not gonna blame Iorfa too much because it was clearly an instruction from the manager, alas DR got it wrong but thats likely to happen on occasions with a young manager learning on the job, not DR bashing more experienced managers than him have got it badly wrong over the years.

id give them all low scores this time around including Poveida and Vaulks, just a really bad day at the office from them, i saw a stat at half time where they had won 71% of airiel duels which is shocking considering that they werent the tallest side (moore apart)

onwards we go and a little break may have come at the right time for us.

Size is only half the equation when heading a ball, how tall you are doesn't matter much if you don't jump that much. The best ever example had to be Jostein Flo at Utd. 6'6" when he stood up 5'3" when he tried to head the ball (He was well weird).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Size is only half the equation when heading a ball, how tall you are doesn't matter much if you don't jump that much. The best ever example had to be Jostein Flo at Utd. 6'6" when he stood up 5'3" when he tried to head the ball (He was well weird).

I remember thinking that when we beat Ipswich 1-0 under Moore and several times Luongo battered Bakinson in the air due to his better technique and aggression despite being several inches shorter.

Of course, I wasn't exactly chuffed that a year later after that Bakinson was playing for us and Luongo for them....

• Like 1

Thanks to the masochists who voted:

Ipswich Town vs SWFC, 16th March 2024

Beadle: 4.1

Iorfa: 4.4

Ihiekwe: 4.0

Bernard: 3.8

Johnson: 3.1

Vaulks: 5.9

Bannan:4.0

Musaba: 4.5

Poveda: 6.2 - MoM

Gassama: 3.9

Ugbo: 4.6

Valentín: 5.6

Momo Diaby: 3.4

Smith: 3.4

Wilks: 2.9

Famewo: 3.5

Team Rating: 4.44

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I think we've been slightly generous with these marks - in many ways it was the worst performance of the season (not least the score). But according to our Owlstalk Ratings we've managed three worse performances.

1st worst: 0-3 vs Sunderland (2.88)

2nd worst: 0-3 vs Swansea (3.64)

3rd worst: 0-4 vs Millwall (3.83)

4th worst: 0-6 vs Ipswich (4.44)

5th worst: 0-1 vs West Brom (4.44)

6th worst: 0-1 vs Ipswich (4.50)

7th worst: 1-4 vs Coventry (4.68)

8th worst: 0-4 vs Huddersfield (4.70)

9th worst: 2-4 vs Hull City (4.77)

10th worst: 0-3 vs Plymouth (5.15)

I think the cumulative rage against Xisco starts to build up in some of these marks, particularly the 1-0 vs West Brom where personally I didn't think the players did all that bad (despite the horrific tactics).

• Thanks 3

On 17/03/2024 at 20:09, 1952Owl said:

Hyde2005

A reasonable summary bud. 

Our defence looked sluggish. 

When Famewoo came on and I saw him running back he looked really sluggish! TBH I wanted Iorfa-Ihiekwe-Bernard at the back. In front of them, Vaulks was a loner. We needed in January a ball winning midfielder. 

Marv is not a good defender! 

Neither is Pol Valentin. 

Palmer should av played at Ipswich. 

+

Never play Gassama + Musaba together from the START! 

My view was NOT to start with either of them at Ipswich. But 65 mins onwards.... maybe? 

I suspect Danny will bring back next game...... 

Dawson 

Bambo. Yes I know! 

Palmer for his experience. Good. 

Injuries again!!!! 

Worry now is how stretched we are if say if Poveda or Bannan etc are out. 

Our Squad is very weak if we are honest. Worrying. 

Dawson? 😂