Half a century

As a kid they were my heroes, even though we were terrible then!

Johny Sissons, Eric Potts and Willie Henderson were my favourites and Tommy Craig was a class act. Ken Knighton was the real hard man of the team.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, brian joicey said:

The 50th anniversary of my first match ! Its been a rollercoaster for sure, never a dull moment but what memories!!!  💙

IMG_20240209_212548.jpg

Congratulations! I think.

You say never a dull moment though. Did you not go to the 0-0 (ironically also against Bristol City) under Carlos? No shots on target the whole game (I don't even think there were any shots at all full stop.....)

That bloody game still stains my memory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Green Army said:

It’s amazing what football fans can remember. 

I can tell you all about Argyle marches from the 80s with the mention of certain refs names still enough to make my blood boil!  But I can’t tell you what my wife asked me to pick up from the Supermarket even though she only asked me 10 mins ago!  

I can remember Alan Ball taking a corner with the ball NOT in the quartile (have I made that word up?) , which was unheard of in the sixties and was ungentlemanly conduct.  I said to my mate Spanner, if Everton score from this and we go down , it will be very unfair (or words to that effect).

They did, we did, and it still rankles with me 54 years later.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, brian joicey said:

The 50th anniversary of my first match ! Its been a rollercoaster for sure, never a dull moment but what memories!!!  💙

IMG_20240209_212548.jpg

Steve Burtenshaw 

What a manager !!

Im haunted by some of those faces.

Just 2 months later we were getting thrashed at Middlesboro  8-0 on my wedding day 

1 hour ago, brian joicey said:

IMG_20240209_212548.jpg

Congrats, its my 43rd anniversary this week so a bit behind you - you've seen even more shít than me! At least I started going in 1981 when we were OK and were getting better and better, starting in 1974 might have put me off for life... 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Green Army said:

It’s amazing what football fans can remember. 

I can tell you all about Argyle marches from the 80s with the mention of certain refs names still enough to make my blood boil!  But I can’t tell you what my wife asked me to pick up from the Supermarket even though she only asked me 10 mins ago!  

Obviously a Ron Dewdneys (aka ivor) 🤣🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, deantheowl said:

Obviously a Ron Dewdneys (aka ivor) 🤣🤣

It would have to be a Ginsters given their financial support of the club over the years.  

Please pronounce correctly.  It is not Gin (the drink) sters.  But Gin (rhyme with bin) sters.  

🥟

13 minutes ago, Green Army said:

It would have to be a Ginsters given their financial support of the club over the years.  

Please pronounce correctly.  It is not Gin (the drink) sters.  But Gin (rhyme with bin) sters.  

🥟

Don't know how you say it down there, but gin (the drink) definitely rhymes with bin to me! 

• Haha 2

Happy Anniversary!

Loving that cover design - the classic (and best) owl and great font for 'Sheffield Wednesday'. Plus the graphics of the players faces. Superb.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2024 at 09:18, Ibbo48 said:

Steve Burtenshaw 

What a manager !!

Im haunted by some of those faces.

Just 2 months later we were getting thrashed at Middlesboro  8-0 on my wedding day 

Rather than haunted by some of those faces they give me a warm feeling as they were some of my first heroes. 
We were crap, but I didn’t know any better at the time. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

Rather than haunted by some of those faces they give me a warm feeling as they were some of my first heroes. 
We were crap, but I didn’t know any better at the time. 

Yes , mate , you’re right 

I was being a bit unfair to say haunted.

Sissons , T Craig , Potts and Joicey were decent players but we had some shockers too around that time .

Great times following them round the country despite some dire performances 

• Like 1