Relegation Run-In 2024

Can’t wait for it to be over. Collect the c. £500 I’ve got coming from betting on us to go down before a ball had been kicked then walk away from the club til Chumpsiri has gone. 

I’m sure I’ll think of a way to spend the c. £3k a season I normally waste watching us. 

We need to be out of the relegation zone by 6th March, that's easily achievable if performances stay the same, things that can make that harder are Mowbray and any new Huddersfield manager having big impacts, a thing that can make that easier is Whitaker leaving Plymouth.

Blackburn.

Can see them going down if they don't do something drastic.

10th from bottom is on 33 points, 11 points above us, but every team has a run in the next 2 months that should give them 3-4 defeats on the bounce, so that 11 could disappear quickly and drag any one i to it.

On 23/01/2024 at 23:36, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

This is exactly why I'm hoping at least one club above us gets pulled up for breaking P&S rules. Right now it's looking like 3 from 4 (Plymouth seem ok just now from their manager change, Stoke look capable of at least matching our results and have a healthy lead over us, Birmingham look far better, Millwall capable of a winning streak together, and whilst Swansea and Blackburn look in a bit of free-fall, they have a big lead over us already), and without additional players in this window, I don't fancy our chances.

I actually didn't think about it from the point of view of possible points deductions.  it's a long shot but would stoke be in the firing line?  Assuming no points deductions then I find it almost impossible to comprehend any of that group above Hudds getting dragged into it. They have too much of a buffer

• Like 1

I'm not even looking out for Plymouth, Stoke, Birmingham ect. As far as I'm concerned we're in a mini league with Huddersfield currently top of it. Could be going in to that game with an 8 point gap too so I'd say it's probably a must win game now.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, New Zealand Owls said:

I actually didn't think about it from the point of view of possible points deductions.  it's a long shot but would stoke be in the firing line?  Assuming no points deductions then I find it almost impossible to comprehend any of that group above Hudds getting dragged into it. They have too much of a buffer

I’m sure someone poster (can’t find the post now and forgot to reply!) that it’s unlikely anyone will have a FFP/P&S issue now this season in the Championship. There are no clubs currently under investigation and the cut off point for points deductions is March. It’s highly likely we are going to have to stay up on merit rather than the punishment of others!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I’m sure someone poster (can’t find the post now and forgot to reply!) that it’s unlikely anyone will have a FFP/P&S issue now this season in the Championship. There are no clubs currently under investigation and the cut off point for points deductions is March. It’s highly likely we are going to have to stay up on merit rather than the punishment of others!

damn, there goes that glimmer of hope then! we need some backs to the wall away wins like the one at preston to take the pressure off. I am fascinated to see if we go to QPR and Huddersfield and try to be ultra aggressive and over power them.  Honestly I think we need 4 points from those two. 

• Like 1

Just said in another thread, I reckon Rotherham finish bottom and it's basically a three horse race between us, Huddersfield and QPR. If either of those teams improve their squads in this window and that gets them 3-6 points they wouldn't have had otherwise that will probably be the difference maker.

Lots talking about Huddersfield as a must win, and clearly we’d love to win, but a draw coupled with a win at home against Brum and a likely defeat for Udders away at Southampton and we’d be within 2 points in a week and a half’s time. 

Everybody’s feeling a bit down after not winning tonight, but it’s still so tight even with the squad we’ve got. 

We have 6 games against the bottom 8, win them all, 18 points.

5 games against the mid-table 8, draw these, 5 points.

5 games against the top 8, lose these, 0 points.

W6 D5 L5

23 points from 16 games

So a total of 46 points 

The average points for 4th bottom in the Championship is 48.

So is it possible? A very big ask but maybe.

(Yes I've ignored home/away and this is a huge simplification, but it shows what our task is)

Edited by Johnny Fantham
  • Haha 1