Relegation Run-In 2024

3 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

We still have to play the teams in these current league positions.

3rd, 4th, 5th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th and 13th

We are going to need a decent amount of points from these games, because that is half of our remaining games.

A very tall order.

051FBB7F-2C1A-451B-8C6F-CB35F7FE7D77.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

47 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

It looks very tough.

I don't subscribe to the thinking that some clubs 'are out of our league' our points against Leicester and Leeds are an example of that - plus beating Hull albeit against 10 men.

Every game is vital, we are running out of games and time.

It's more that some games are much more challenging than others really. In a very literal sense, none of those teams are "out of our league".

That said, on paper Huddersfield should be one of our easiest games; but considering how much it will mean to them too, that might not turn out to be the case. And, teams expecting to beat us might be slightly complacent (although I might be clutching at straws there). 

People seem to be about to give up but since the start of December we have won  5 games

Blackburn

Stoke

QPR

Preston 

Hull

and lost to

Norwich 

Cardiff

Coventry x2

Southampton 

In the main we are doing well against all but the much better teams. 

• Like 3

If we're in touching distance after Leicester, we'll have played half of the top 10 and have 7 of the bottom 10 still to play, with Huddersfield and Birmingham having 4 games each v top 10 sides in their next 5.

• Like 1

It's not over by and stretch, but it seems a real tall order.

We are saved by virtue of there being three other very poor teams in this division. 

54 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

If you look at the divide that has appeared between the bottom 10 and the rest of the league, any of the bottom 10 could easily be dragged into the relegation spots.

It's also handy to look at who have played who twice and who they have left to play in the run in as well as where the points are coming from. For 6 of the bottom 10, their points in the second half of the season have almost exclusively come from each other with only us, Millwall, Swansea and Plymouth getting wins outside the bottom 10.

Screenshot_20240122_121554_Sheets.jpg

Love this - and helps put things in perspective. 

A small error though - our win against Cardiff was in the FA Cup. Our league tie should have been green as well but we Wednesdayed it. 😁

18 games left, if teams maintain the form they have produced in the last 18 games its bad news for us. Looking at the last 10 games as a more realistic projection of how DR has us playing we could sneak out of it with a total of 49 points (the 3 season average for survival being 45).

Highlights how important the January transfer window will be. We would be required to replace the players that move on with players that help us maintain our form and offset any potential injuries at the very least. Should teams around us strengthen then we will definitely need to match that. Will be a very tight run in but we have half of our remaining games at home (a potential 27 points) to go after. we would still need wins in all of those home games should we fail to pick up points on the road to hit 49 points.

image.png

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BIG D said:

People seem to be about to give up but since the start of December we have won  5 games

Blackburn

Stoke

QPR

Preston 

Hull

and lost to

Norwich 

Cardiff

Coventry x2

Southampton 

This ^   Cardiff is the only real disappointing result in those 10 games.  

But the next 3 games will tell us a lot, about whether we have just been unlucky to come against 3 decent sides recently (saints, coventry & norwich), or actually our team just isn't that good and it will go down.   

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BIG D said:

I'm attempting to convince myself here. Ignore me.

lol

No, keep going.

I think we are probably fooked, but it's not over yet.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Blackburn

Stoke

QPR

Preston 

Hull

and lost to

Norwich 

Cardiff

Coventry x2

Southampton 

And cardiffs win was a fluke.   We HAVE to beat our 3 rivals and we can but ti's touch and go whether we can get to 44 points which may not be enough.  I thought we had to catch Hudd but QPR look our rivals for the safety place. in my opinion.

beating Watford and Hudd will be a real morale boost if we can do it.

Thanks Big D, nice work.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, royalowlisback said:

I'm probably reading it wrong - but if we've picked up 19 points from 17 games under Röhl- if we repeat the same we will go down?

Didn't we lose 5 of his first 6 though, still hungover from Xisco? I'd expect us not to go through that run again - unless we gamble with the squad as it is and then suffer key injuries.