Girona and Leverkusen

I have a lot of spare time.... 😂

Been watching the games of these teams for a couple of months now since it started to look like there might be a bit of a story developing. Worth your time to watch if you get the chance.

I heard that Girona had either spent big or had some very clever investment at least 

Leverkusen have the nickname ‘Neverkusen’ I think… so it’d be great for them to win the league. They look impressive. 

2 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

I heard that Girona had either spent big or had some very clever investment at least 

Leverkusen have the nickname ‘Neverkusen’ I think… so it’d be great for them to win the league. They look impressive. 

The "Neverkusen" tag feels like a pretty powerful curse.....it will take some shifting, people will dive on that first league defeat when it comes I'm sure. Bayern losing today has helped!! German football desperately needs a new champion IMO.

Girona seems to be clever tactics and some very astute recruitment. Dovbyk tge Ukrainian forward is immense, scored a hattrick in about 8 minutes earlier after they'd gone a goal down to Sevilla. The other standout would be the winger Savio who's on loan from Troyes. They are part of the City group but I think theres only one or two City players on loan there. 

5 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

Are Leverkusen the German Tottenham?

Arguably worse, though it's a decent comparison.

They've never won Bundesliga in its modern form.

Won the Bundesliga North title once, a German cup and a UEFA Cup.

4 hours ago, Morepork said:

Pretty sure he's injured atm. Didn't play against RBL at the weekend. 

He's at the AFCON,  playing upfront for Nigeria with Osimehn. 

Girona are very interesting..part of the City group yes, but that's not reflected in the playing squad. 

Paolo Gazzaniga in the net, Daley Blind in Defence and Cristhian Stuani  upfront has a real ' Expendables' feel about it, but it's working. 

Leverkusen just aren't losing. Managed so well by Xabi Alonso who has joined the ' Super Manager' bracket and will end up at Barca , Real, Liverpool..anywhere he wants really. 

5 hours ago, Matt_1 said:

Are Leverkusen the German Tottenham?

Football wise it's a fairly easy parallel to draw, although I think there's some important and more interesting context behind Leverkusen being a fairly small town (Wiki says 163,000 people), with the club set up and existing for most of its history as a sporting venture for the pharmaceutical company. 

Other than Bayern winning it every year, German football is one of the more interesting leagues to follow I think, not just for the culture and fan ownership aspect but also for the way some clubs massively over (and under) perform. Leverkusen are undoubtedly one of the biggest clubs in Germany but they're probably punching above their weight, especially given their modest location (with places like Cologne, Dortmund and Dusseldorf not far away) and origins. 

2 hours ago, Bannofan said:

He's at the AFCON,  playing upfront for Nigeria with Osimehn. 

Girona are very interesting..part of the City group yes, but that's not reflected in the playing squad. 

Paolo Gazzaniga in the net, Daley Blind in Defence and Cristhian Stuani  upfront has a real ' Expendables' feel about it, but it's working. 

Leverkusen just aren't losing. Managed so well by Xabi Alonso who has joined the ' Super Manager' bracket and will end up at Barca , Real, Liverpool..anywhere he wants really. 

He is but he's injured. He looked a player last year at USG, astute transfer business, I can only imagine what that must feel like. 😂

How would Girona or Leverkusen winning their respective league stack up against Leicester winning the Premier League? Are we talking a bigger sporting achievement? I've not taken much interest in the German and Spanish leagues for a while, so have no idea. I know Barca and Madrid aren't what they once were, and that Bayern are still miles ahead of everyone else in Germany, but that's about it!

2 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

How would Girona or Leverkusen winning their respective league stack up against Leicester winning the Premier League? Are we talking a bigger sporting achievement? I've not taken much interest in the German and Spanish leagues for a while, so have no idea. I know Barca and Madrid aren't what they once were, and that Bayern are still miles ahead of everyone else in Germany, but that's about it!

I remember Leverkusen being good in 2000, they finished second in their league 3 times and reached the champions league final, losing to Madrid.  As its been said they are probably like a Spurs in our country.  So winning the league would be very unusual, but not completely shocking.

Girona on the other hand would be like if the Man city owners bought a club like Millwall and helped them to win the PL.   Girona have historically been in the spanish 2nd to 5th tier of football.  

• Thanks 1

Would love them both to do it.

Girona should be looking at a top 2, but Real will probably win the league. Barca don’t look like getting close.

Leverkusen ending the 10 year title win the year Kane signs is hilarious. The mans cursed!

3 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

I remember Leverkusen being good in 2000, they finished second in their league 3 times and reached the champions league final, losing to Madrid.  As its been said they are probably like a Spurs in our country.  So winning the league would be very unusual, but not completely shocking.

Girona on the other hand would be like if the Man city owners bought a club like Millwall and helped them to win the PL.   Girona have historically been in the spanish 2nd to 5th tier of football.  

Thanks. I remember Leverkusen back then - a quality side with Lucio, Ballack, and Berbatov amongst the ranks from memory. Haven't seen much since the early 2000's though until now with Alonso looking like he'll be a top manager.

Wow, Girona would be some story then. Albeit owned by the City Group, they don't seem to benefit a great deal - on the pitch at least (got a defender on loan from Man City is all I can see) - from that, so it would be a pretty remarkable story if they can hold off Madrid!

On 22/01/2024 at 15:10, sheffield_dave said:

Football wise it's a fairly easy parallel to draw, although I think there's some important and more interesting context behind Leverkusen being a fairly small town (Wiki says 163,000 people), with the club set up and existing for most of its history as a sporting venture for the pharmaceutical company. 

Other than Bayern winning it every year, German football is one of the more interesting leagues to follow I think, not just for the culture and fan ownership aspect but also for the way some clubs massively over (and under) perform. Leverkusen are undoubtedly one of the biggest clubs in Germany but they're probably punching above their weight, especially given their modest location (with places like Cologne, Dortmund and Dusseldorf not far away) and origins. 

That area of Germany is a proper hotbed. Cologne, Dusseldorf, Leverkusen, Bochum, Dortmund, Schalke, Monchengladbach all there. And that's not including some of the lower league teams that pull in five figure attendances like Duisburg and Essen!

It's the underperforming clubs who fascinate me in Germany. Berlin has a weird history with its clubs and surely massively underperforms compared to clubs from other major capitals. Hamburg not having a Bundesliga club is mad although looks like St Pauli might change that (HSV seem perennially stuck in 3rd at that level). Schalke are struggling.. Kaiserslautern draw big crowds for the second and third tier.. Dresden has a similar population to Sheffield and they're down in the third (OK, maybe not too dissimilar then..)