Girona and Leverkusen

2 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

It's the underperforming clubs who fascinate me in Germany. Berlin has a weird history with its clubs and surely massively underperforms compared to clubs from other major capitals. Hamburg not having a Bundesliga club is mad although looks like St Pauli might change that (HSV seem perennially stuck in 3rd at that level). Schalke are struggling.. Kaiserslautern draw big crowds for the second and third tier.. Dresden has a similar population to Sheffield and they're down in the third (OK, maybe not too dissimilar then..)

What about 1860 Munich for the whacky nature of the Bundesliga? 

I think they shared grounds with Bayern for years (won a Bundesliga title), and then they dropped so far as the regional division in Bavaria. 

Now find themselves in the third tier. 

17 minutes ago, SiJ said:

I think they shared grounds with Bayern for years (won a Bundesliga title), and then they dropped so far as the regional division in Bavaria. 

Somewhere on a German Football forum someone has said what exactly this about us. lol

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

I’m probably missing some stupid obvious example but I don’t think Germany really sustains multiple teams from the same city. 

At least not successful ones. You tend to see one big team per city and then a bunch of significantly smaller clubs set up by general sports clubs or whatever.

The two exceptions I can think of, Berlin and Hamburg, the “other” club is driven by specific political/societal differences that make them a draw. I remember seeing a really interesting documentary on YouTube about how Hertha in particular have been massively held back by the way that cities history is divided. It really splits the city between tons of smaller and much less successful clubs, and has enabled a club like Union to rise and take advantage. Lots of really interesting historical and social wrinkles to German football.

• Like 1

I caught the end  of kaiserslauton v Schalke last night and the schalke team who got stuffed 4-1 stood in line before there fans while getting dogs abuse thrown at them .. weirdest thing as they just stood there copping the fans rage for about 5 minutes 

On 10/02/2024 at 18:13, beswetherick said:

Leverkusen leading Bayern and Girona two down at Real Madrid (live on ITV4, Vinicius Jr is having a stormer)

Watched that game. Real will comfortably win the league this season. Vinicius Jr was class and had a hand in all 4 goals. That assist for Bellingham was unreal.

• Like 1

I don't think Girona will be too downbeat, they are massively overachieving, hopefully they can hang in for a Champions League spot.

I watched the Leverkusen game, they were immense. Tuchel, essentially surrendered the fixture before the game started with his decision to completely alter the way they usually play and hand the initiative to Alonso's team which they accepted with both hands..... 

2 hours ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Watched that game. Real will comfortably win the league this season. Vinicius Jr was class and had a hand in all 4 goals. That assist for Bellingham was unreal.

The one with the outside of the foot? Pure filth, maybe the best assist I’ve seen all season. 

I think RM have got La Liga sewn up for the next few seasons with the amount of world class talent they have - Vinicius, Bellingham, Rodrygo, Tchouameni, Camavinga, Valverde all under 25. They’ve got Endrick arriving this summer I think and they’re always linked with Mbappe as well

13 hours ago, beswetherick said:

The one with the outside of the foot? Pure filth, maybe the best assist I’ve seen all season. 

I think RM have got La Liga sewn up for the next few seasons with the amount of world class talent they have - Vinicius, Bellingham, Rodrygo, Tchouameni, Camavinga, Valverde all under 25. They’ve got Endrick arriving this summer I think and they’re always linked with Mbappe as well

Aint got Ashley Fletcher tho have they :Chansiri: