Love this and so true.

darra

1 hour ago, darra said:

🗣️Miroslav Klose: "I said stop playing football because I no longer recognized it. Today, young people think about other things. As a child, I only thought about training and becoming someone in this sport that I always loved. At Lazio and in the national team, after each training session, I put myself in a bathtub full of ice to avoid injuries. But the young people on the team systematically refused.

When they saw me picking up the bags of balls to put them away at the end of training, they said to me 'But who tells you to do that?'. At that moment, I said to myself: "You're 20 years old and you can't help a 60-year-old worker? They care more about whether their cleats go with their socks. That's why I said stop. The football I knew no longer exists.

Today's young people think first of cars, contracts with their sponsors, and their new crampons. It is only after all these things that football comes. For them, their image is the most important thing. Whereas for me, all that mattered was football in its purest form.”

This is so true

Even at academy level they would go out of their way to avoid picking up a bag and carrying it to the coach 

The sense of entitlement is off the scale

It's one of the things we used to try to get through to them that when they get released don't be crying about how unfair it is - when they've invested relatively so little into themselves to grab a golden opportunity

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, scram said:

This is so true

Even at academy level they would go out of their way to avoid picking up a bag and carrying it to the coach 

It's one of the things we used to try to get through to them that when they get released don't be crying about how unfair it is - when they've invested relatively so little into themselves to grab a golden opportunity

I remember Dean Saunders saying he was terrified of his coaches and if he had a bad game he would be worrying about it all night especially if a coach had said something to him, do you think they get as worried nowadays?

Some do - and a lot depends on the coach and his "methods"

I think in general the attitude seems to have got increasingly worse over the years - and the entitlement higher

Some of them think they're doing the club a favour by playing 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scram said:

Some do - and a lot depends on the coach and his "methods"

I think in general the attitude seems to have got increasingly worse over the years - and the entitlement higher

Some of them think they're doing the club a favour by playing 

Instant gratification and self entitlement culture.

• Like 2

I remember Alan Brazil talking a few years ago about his early days playing football. How as a young player he would turn up at the training ground and be given a bag of dirty football boots to clean. They were the boots of some of the first team squad.  Can't see that happening now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, darra said:

I remember Alan Brazil talking a few years ago about his early days playing football. How as a young player he would turn up at the training ground and be given a bag of dirty football boots to clean. They were the boots of some of the first team squad.  Can't see that happening now.

Think was the case right up until the late 90s/early 00s? 

Problem now is you can make it without actually making it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scram said:

This is so true

That's partly on the coach. 

I used to make the kids from u7 to u16 bring all equipment to me and listen to the brief instruction. 

They are still teachable moments that can be enforced regardless of their ability

5 minutes ago, darra said:

It does at some clubs - most?

The scholars will have a jobs list which can be anything from making sure all the water bottles are filled to inflating the footballs every day to taking the training equipment out to the pitch - each will be assigned a task

They will have collective tasks such as carrying equipment to/from the coach, cleaning their changing rooms and cleaning the boots of senior pro's and staff

Unfortunately the ones with the good attitude and pride in what they do will tend to get to do the bulk of the shared tasks as they pick up the slack created by the ones who think they're above doing the tasks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, scram said:

It does at some clubs - most?

The scholars will have a jobs list which can be anything from making sure all the water bottles are filled to inflating the footballs every day to taking the training equipment out to the pitch - each will be assigned a task

They will have collective tasks such as carrying equipment to/from the coach, cleaning their changing rooms and cleaning the boots of senior pro's and staff

Unfortunately the ones with the good attitude and pride in what they do will tend to get to do the bulk of the shared tasks as they pick up the slack created by the ones who think they're above doing the tasks

You would think if they're getting them to do that sort of thing to teach discipline, respect etc, and they don't do it, there would be some sort of repercussions. But if the kid has been made to feel so entitled they'll think f' em and go to another club?

54 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Think was the case right up until the late 90s/early 00s? 

Problem now is you can make it without actually making it.

Exactly this 

Clubs like Chelsea have young lads on £10-20k  per week and they send them out on loan year after year, most don’t even make it at a decent level and they’ll still retire multi millionaires 

Currently watching the Beckham documentary on Netflix, that period in the 1990’s- early 2000 was the golden age of football for me. I’ve very little interest these days 

• Like 1

Bloody loved Klose back in the day, a brilliant striker just had that knack 

Can't argue with anything he has said there. 100% true. I think it was Gattuso that said something very similar that whenever he lost a match he would feel like punching something where as nowadays players get back into their ferraris and are straight on social media 

I've said it on here before that I miss the Roy Keane/Patrick Vieira tunnel bust ups. Real passion and desire to win instead of all this lovey-dovey shirt swapping and hugging

• Like 2

13 hours ago, lukeyswfc said:

They don’t need to do owt now. Some of them are on 30k a week to never play.

The money has ruined it. Needs capping for many reasons.

This, and I'd add that for other reasons some of these nasty little self entitled oinks need knee-ccapping!

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

On a related note, lads at school who are with academies are often terribly behaved and arrogant. Often having changed markedly from

the behaviour pre getting signed.

Fully agree with this one. Some can be proper arrogant little individuals. Their parents can be as bad too. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, scram said:

This is so true

Going back a few years, I taught a lad who was on the books of Forest.

I used to take an interest in how he was getting on, and one day he told me he'd fallen out with his coaches at Forest and was moving to Villa.

A few months later, the same had happened again and he joined Wednesday. 

Then he fell out with Nicky Weaver so left after a month or so.

He told me without a hint of of self awareness that he didn't like being told what to do.

Funnily enough, he never made it in the game.

🙄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Going back a few years, I taught a lad who was on the books of Forest.

I used to take an interest in how he was getting on, and one day he told me he'd fallen out with his coaches at Forest and was moving to Villa.

A few months later, the same had happened again and he joined Wednesday. 

Then he fell out with Nicky Weaver so left after a month or so.

He told me without a hint of of self awareness that he didn't like being told what to do.

Funnily enough, he never made it in the game.

🙄

I don't know if you watched the TV series "Boots and Dream" (i think?)

There's a lad on there who screams "bad attitude" - you can see instantly why he never made it and probably why he didn't fulfill his potential - there were so many basic deficiencies in his game - he obviously either didn't take instruction and/or didn't put the hard yards in

But he was one of those characters which - i dunno, there's something in there that would make me want to drill down into why he is like that

It's the job of an academy to try to be holistic and maybe this kid would benefit from a different type of input to help him - not only in football but in life generally

But on your other point - the kids at academies do become classroom royalty - the better the club they're at the more they rise in any hierarchy

So it is a lot to deal with at a young age - it's often why the level headed ones are the ones that make it through

Edited by scram
  • Like 2