They might have gone up but....already in trouble

16 minutes ago, vulva said:

When that hotel was emptied McCabe took everything from the plug sockets to the laminate flooring. 

What is happening with the ex-hotel. Is it like the Overlook hotel from the Shinning - some janitor checking the rooms?

image.png.3a3226e5c578472d552366b049209f25.png

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Right-footer said:

I think that's the main point about this promotion.  It sounds like behind-the-scenes it's been a real mess, and yet the Manager has largely ignored it and focussed on what he can control; preparing the team for the next match.

I'm like 99% of Blades.  I have no real idea what the actual financial situation is.  It's certainly not great.  It appears that we would have faced a possible financial meltdown if we'd not been promoted.  Where has all the money gone?  We've had years of parachute money, money from a good cup run, and been on Sky Sport TV on many occasions.  Yes, I know we have an expensive wage bill.  But I still don't get it.  This farce with the Nigerian businessman just adds to the confusion.

I DO realise SWFC are not strangers to financial problems.  It does make me worry for the long term health of English football.  I guess the real problem is the ridiculous wages footballers receive.  I don't want to go back to my Dad's era where he knew SUFC players as he bumped into them in the shops & pubs they worked in - being a professional footballer is a fulltime job.  But I don't think it's right the stupid sums of money an ordinary Premier League/Championship player expects.  Like most clubs, many Blades fans are feeling the pinch at the moment.  Watching some second-rate player who sits on the bench most Saturdays drive past you in a Lamborghini is wrong.

Rant over ...

Mate the premier league don’t care about a newly promoted team, or any other club on the periphery of the top division.

As long as the top six or so have enough cannon fodder to make them look good, and increase their financial grip on the game, they don’t worry about the rest of English football.

Money is king these days and the disdain held for the rest of us was evident by the failed European super league, which imo will resurface in the not too distant future 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, nbupperthongowl said:

They will be taken over you can bet on this...... just depends on what the owners strategy is, it's either get as much wonga as he can and run for the hills not caring about who the new owner is or transfer ownership to people who have the right intentions for the club?

Here's hoping......

There's no reason for him to sell now, he can clear his debts, spend nothing, they get relegated and three years of parachute money for him to pocket

if i was in that position it would take a very good offer for me to sell

1 hour ago, Right-footer said:

Blade here.  You're right.

90% of SWFC and 90% of SUFC fans are the same.  It's THE local rivalry (whatever fans of Barnsley or Rotherham think!).  Nearly all of us talk about a Sheffield Double, and we know what we mean by that.  We're not obsessed with each other.  Our first priority is our own team.  But after that, we do hope our main rival loses.

However, and this is important, 95% of SWFC and 95% of SUFC fans are decent people who refrain from disgusting language and a delight in violence.  Sure, unfortunately both clubs have that element.  But I strongly believe they are a minority.

It's about healthy rivalry.  It's normal.  It's not obsession.

I say all this knowing that, almost certainly, there will come a time when you're the top Sheffield side again.  I'd like that to never happen; but it's probably just a matter of when.  When SUFC were languishing in League One for all those years I thought we'd never get out.  Have faith.

Last comment:  Lots of stuff on here and on S2 4SU forum about who has the most supporters.  What is a fact is that BOTH Sheffield clubs have incredible support for our relative successes.  That's something we can agree on and be proud of.

Great and honest post.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, the third man said:

There's no reason for him to sell now, he can clear his debts, spend nothing, they get relegated and three years of parachute money for him to pocket

if i was in that position it would take a very good offer for me to sell

You would think, but according to the press he wants out, that does seem strange 

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We’re in real danger of being in a place where they consolidate in the Premier League and we become a Pompey in League One. 

Time will tell.

Football changes quite rapidly.

Given their reported financial issues, I'm not too concerned about them consolidating. The life of a yoyo team can take its toll in time.

As for us, who honestly knows.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We’re in real danger of being in a place where they consolidate in the Premier League and we become a Pompey in League One. 

I think most realistic Blades expect us, at best, to become a yo-yo side, alternating between the Premier League & the Championship.  It's extremely hard to properly establish a team in the Premier League. 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Time will tell.

Given their reported financial issues, I'm not too concerned about them consolidating. The life of a yoyo team can take its toll in time.

Snap

Just now, Right-footer said:

I think most realistic Blades expect us, at best, to become a yo-yo side, alternating between the Premier League & the Championship.  It's extremely hard to properly establish a team in the Premier League. 

The problem most clubs have is you have to spend to be a PL side, but the problem is a return to the Championship is on the cards.

It is proper Catch 22.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Time will tell.

Financial issues won’t be a problem now they’re in the Prem.

Either way it’s utterly embarrassing the gulf between the two clubs. And yep it does make me jealous to see them celebrate two promotions in as many years, get to an FA Cup semi final and are widely recognised as the better club in Sheffield. 

We’re a joke in comparison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

It's a windfall but it doesn't solve the fact the Prince appears to be skint and is desperate to get out.

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Either way it’s utterly embarrassing the gulf between the two clubs. And yep it does make me jealous to see them celebrate two promotions in as many years, get to an FA Cup semi final and are widely recognised as the better club in Sheffield. 

We’re a joke in comparison.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but ...

Pull yourself together!  Supporting a club is about doing it through thick and thin.

I'm pretty old.  I started going to The Lane in the days of Currie, etc.  Great days.  I then went away from Sheffield to uni in Liverpool.  This as we went from the old 1st Division into the 2nd.  Then into the 3rd.  And finally, into the 4th!  Of course it was awful being the laughing stock of my friends.  But you're a Blade for life.  And in your case, you support The Wednesday whatever happens. 

Your day will come.

And one small consolidation is it does feel good to be a big fish in a small pond, winning most matches.  The first Wilder season was probably the most exciting season I've EVER experienced.  Yes, it's good to get into the PL, but it was so good travelling round the country to places I couldn't even find on a map and hammering them.

I say again, your day will come.  Keep the faith.  We can sneer at all these plastic fans who chose their team from the top of the PL, rather than your Sheffield postcode and your Dad's alliance. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1