Lee Bullen's Ayr United

1 hour ago, BridportOwl said:

Falkirk are sponsored by crunchycarrots.co.uk

Lee Bullen's Ayr United have the impressive sounding 'The Honest Men' as their nickname.

Auld Ayr, which ne'er a town surpasses,

In honest men and bonnie lasses.

Robert Burns, y'all....

Edited by owlinexile
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Went to the game last night. Lee is coming in for a fair bit of stick just now - playing too much long ball and hoping things come of their talisman, Dipo. It's not working with much consistency and the players seem to be struggling with any other plan.

Maguire's missed pen - even followed it up despite no-one else touching the ball; ref then giving a free-kick to Falkirk! 😄

• Love 1

Lee's Ayr may have screwed up their chances of a cup final, but they could still go up. A ridiculously tight regular league season comes to a finish tonight with Queens Park, on 58 points, hosting Dundee, on 60, in a straight fight for the 1 automatic spot, live on BBC Scotland online. The former will make it 3 promotions running if they win and return to the top flight for the first time since to the '50s. If they lose, they are at least guaranteed one of the 3 play-off spots, but 4 other teams, including Ayr, are fighting it out for the other 2.

• Like 1

That game between Queens Park and Dundee was great to watch.

Also it was good to be able to watch a match without being frustrated by a player(s) throwing themselves around on the floor. I can’t recall Dundee trying to slow the game down either during the second half despite the rewards being so big for them.

The quality may be lower but the commitment of the players and the passion of the supporters made for a superb match.

As a neutral I preferred Queens Park last night, but now they have to go into the Play-Offs I hope that Bullen can get his Ayr side promoted.

On 06/05/2023 at 11:29, paulrs said:

Top man is Bully.

Don’t think Ayr have been in the top flight for something like 50 years so it would be a superb achievement to get them there. 

Just looked on Wikipedia and it was 1978 they were last in the Premier division.

I also didn't realise Simon Stainrod used to be manager there for a couple of years mid 1990s.

• Like 1

Continuing the Scottish theme, ex-Owls legend Rhys McCabe is currently player-manager at Airdrie. Having finished 7 points behind Falkirk in the league, they went into half-time in tonight's play-off 1st leg against them 5-0 up, with Rhys getting the 2nd. But Falkirk have pulled 2 back and Airdrie have their keeper sent off.

• Like 2