Emiliano Sala, Cardiff and Embargo

Kevowls1

I've watched a few videos about the plane crash, so tragic for pilot and player, who both had concerns before flying.

28 years of age and probably looking forward to his career in the Prem! Really sad.

But the tragedy has created the bizarre situation on ownership of the player. I don't know if the player actually signed his contract? But FIFA have directed Cardiff to pay and appeals are on the way. (A Neil Warnock Signing!)

It leaves Cardiff in potentialy financial ruin through no fault of their own. Their position in the Championship is precarious and to have that amount of dept to pay with legal costs on top in L1 will be hard financially. I actually wonder if it could bankrupt the club? This could leave Cardiff in a real mess with them now having an embargo.

But how will it effect the Mcguiness situation?

Will the embargo make it more difficult to make a potential deal? Probably.

Will it make the recall of Mcguiness more likely? Possibly.

But with possible debts to pay will it make a offer for Mcguiness more likely to be accepted? Potentially!

Sad state of affairs all round which might complicate things with Mcguiness.

But RIP Sala.

Sounds like someone within the club made a mistake; such as not sorting out the insurance in time (maybe waiting until he was actually in country) and now the club are looking at getting out of paying the transfer fees in anyway they can 

• Like 1

I'm struggling to see why there is any sort of debate about this.  Sala was either a Cardiff player, or he wasn't.

As @Kopparbergsays the whole thing is just in poor taste and not reflecting well on the memory of the player.  

If he was a Cardiff player and they didn't have insurance, or they did but it was not valid for the type of travel he was undertaking, then that's on the club.  

The only thing I can think of is that Sala was a Cardiff player, and Cardiff had insurance, but if the player did something outside his contract by taking that flight, then maybe the insurance was invalid?  Normally, the club would discipline the player for breach of contract, but if he's died **shrugs** Even if this is what happened, it's still on Cardiff.

To be clear, all my post is speculation.  Happy to be corrected if I've got any facts wrong.

• Like 2

Sala was put on the plane and had no choice in the matter. He sent text messages/voice mails to his family/partner expressing concerns when he got on the plane and during the flight.

Cardiff arranged it, seemingly to save money

There's a doco here

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001c7qg/transfer-the-fate-of-emiliano-sala

3 hours ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I'm struggling to see why there is any sort of debate about this.  Sala was either a Cardiff player, or he wasn't.

As @Kopparbergsays the whole thing is just in poor taste and not reflecting well on the memory of the player.  

If he was a Cardiff player and they didn't have insurance, or they did but it was not valid for the type of travel he was undertaking, then that's on the club.  

The only thing I can think of is that Sala was a Cardiff player, and Cardiff had insurance, but if the player did something outside his contract by taking that flight, then maybe the insurance was invalid?  Normally, the club would discipline the player for breach of contract, but if he's died **shrugs** Even if this is what happened, it's still on Cardiff.

To be clear, all my post is speculation.  Happy to be corrected if I've got any facts wrong.

I think there's many black holes.

One is that the pilot (apparently) was not authorised to fly at night? Not sure if that was true or not.

But I believe Cardiff organised the plane.

On 18/12/2022 at 16:19, punkskaphil said:

From what I understood Cardiff announced publicly at the time that Sala had signed the contract, so it’s a bit strange that they later said they didn’t own him.

He was their player before he died, as you say they publicly confirmed that. But after the crash, in the knowledge that they'd lost a £15m asset, they've done everything to try and deny he was their responsibility. I suspect it's because they hadn't arranged adequate insurance in time before Sala's death so can't claim anything there (presumably football clubs normally have lots of insurance policies covering the possibility of death or career ending injury to expensive assets). 

They were found to be the owner of Sala by a tribunal earlier this year,  but have still refused to pay up hence the current embargo.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62687480

Obviously if it'd been the other way round and it was a player they'd sold, they'd be demanding payment in full.

Meanwhile Nantes are £15m down, Cardiff could've easily afforded to pay up with their PL riches and then their parachute payments, and the saga is overshadowing the fact that an innocent young man lost his life and a family was left grieving (his father died of a heart attack shortly afterwards, which could well have been a direct result of losing his son). 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Birstall Owl said:

All that money on an "asset" + wages and they fly him across on something from the ark.

I'm not the best flyer as it is but there's no way in this world I would have boarded that plane

The poor kid. 

This whole tragedy sums up football and much of society in general. All about money. 

I saw the boss of the plane company only got 18 months inside despite using a pilot without the relevant licence. How ******** idiotic can you be? 

And the ******** at Cardiff then had the cheek to put his name in the squad for the next game, all the while they are trying to make sure they aren’t out of pocket. It’s sickening. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kopparberg said:

Imagining some high ranking club official putting a poor secretary under pressure to call the insurance broker to get the insurance sorted; knowing that the plane had gone down. Rather than focusing on the search, answers, and comforting the Sala family.  

It’s the same decision making that also organised the their top “asset” to fly on a dodgy plane with an unsuitable pilot. 

Unreal isn’t it. Someone needs to be made accountable 

• Like 1