Sheffield Football Teams Branded "Despicable"...

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-football-teams-branded-despicable-by-league-after-arranging-friendly-following-queens-death-3839853

Thoughts?

No 'organised' football allowed so a bunch of mates who know each other from a football team arrange a training session against another bunch of lads who know each other from a football team.

They turn up in the kits of their respective teams as that's a convenient way of coordinating kits to distinguish sides.

League brands them "despicable" without any knowledge of how respect was shown before, during and after the session and having previously given the green light to training sessions.

(Yes, i was involved... No, I'm not happy to have been referred to in such incendiary language)

Personally I think it's an over the top reaction. I don't think tweeting about helps your club though mate. 

I wouldn't have stopped grassroots in the first place. For adults or kids. I can see the issue as to why the pro game was stopped, but grassroots is for fun and fitness.

Morale of the story, don't be plastering it all over social media, that's probably where the issue was.

Edited by Maddogbob

13 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

If it’s the ones who did a running commentary on Twitter, then I think the way they joked about it probably didn’t help.

A few tweets in the lead up to our 20 odd followers (players and ex players)... Have a run around... Come off to 40k likes despite not '@ing' or '#ing' anyone or anything at all... Totally organic and out of our control and makes it look far worse than it was.

If we thought anyone actually read our tweets maybe we wouldn't have tweeted all about it, but having ok'd a training session with the league and in the full knowledge it was just a kickabout we genuinely didn't expect to be pulled up for doing anything wrong.

Misguided... Yes; Despicable... Gi' orr

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Personally I think it's an over the top reaction. I don't think tweeting about helps your club though mate. 

I wouldn't have stopped grassroots in the first place. For adults or kids. I can see the issue as to why the pro game was stopped, but grassroots is for fun and fitness.

Morale of the story, don't be plastering it all over social media, that's probably where the issue was.

My issue with the issue is that we weren't playing a league game, we weren't playing an official friendly... It was 22 lads doing the same as a Dad and his son could do, albeit with nets and more people.

Our league has gone in two footed as if they own us and own football. I'm off for a kickabout tonight... Do they expect me to declare that too?!

Have i got to bear in mind i represent an organised football club within an organised league if i dare try and fart in a lift and someone smells it? Is that bringing the league into disrepute by my association with them?

Are people not free to do what they want within the bounds of the law and common decency?

Is playing football really that bad?

Is there one prescribed way that people should behave in any given scenario or should people be free to use personal judgment as long as their intent is not to offend?

• Like 3

Not saying it’s despicable, but the tweets I saw were laughing about it being a tremendous coincidence that an opponent arrived in their kits ready to play.

I used to play in that league (often against International) and know they take things quite seriously, for instance Remebrance day. When I saw the tweets (I’m obviously one of your 20 followers, or at least know some of them) I thought it would not end well.

2 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Not saying it’s despicable, but the tweets I saw were laughing about it being a tremendous coincidence that an opponent arrived in their kits ready to play.

I used to play in that league (often against International) and know they take things quite seriously, for instance Remebrance day. When I saw the tweets (I’m obviously one of your 20 followers, or at least know some of them) I thought it would not end well.

They do take things very seriously... Too serious.

11 years ago i was threatened with expulsion from playing in the league and reported to the FA for accidentally emailing a football based charity fundraising competition in memory of my Mum to some email addresses which the chairman of the league claimed to be their league mailing list... They just looked like personal email addresses to me and i got hold of them through a mate who told me they might be interested.

I got both batteries then to and basically called a heathen for encouraging gambling.

Very strong moral principles that they like to impress on others at every opportunity.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

My issue with the issue is that we weren't playing a league game, we weren't playing an official friendly... It was 22 lads doing the same as a Dad and his son could do, albeit with nets and more people.

Our league has gone in two footed as if they own us and own football. I'm off for a kickabout tonight... Do they expect me to declare that too?!

Have i got to bear in mind i represent an organised football club within an organised league if i dare try and fart in a lift and someone smells it? Is that bringing the league into disrepute by my association with them?

Are people not free to do what they want within the bounds of the law and common decency?

Is playing football really that bad?

Is there one prescribed way that people should behave in any given scenario or should people be free to use personal judgment as long as their intent is not to offend?

Hay, I totally agree with your points. No I don't think playing was bad, but putting it out there on social media, you are going to get that reaction.

You've opened yourself to the critical reaction, with the social media posts. That is where the issue lies.

I've plenty of experience with that awful nightmare of a local FA. Expect fines incoming I'd imagine, seems to be there favourite pastime.

Edited by Maddogbob
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

That's another thing... All the incriminating tweets were before the training session happened... The tweet inviting the opposition to our training session was sent the night before... They have our contact details but made no effort to contact us and say "hold on, when you asked if you could hold a training session and we said yes this doesn't fall under that remit... You can't do this"...

They still haven't contacted us... Yet they had a statement up on the website within an hour of us leaving the field.

1 minute ago, Maddogbob said:

Hay, I totally agree with your points. No I don't think playing was bad, but putting it out there on social media, you are going to get that reaction.

You've opened yourself to the critical reaction, with the social media posts. That were the issue lies.

I've plenty of experience with that awful nightmare of a local FA. Expect fines incoming I'd imagine, seems to be there favourite pastime.

A fine would be ok.

We've a few people say they'd chuck in for that anyway... A fundraiser with any extra going to a bereavment charity / men's mental health charity (considering they've posted an inflammatory, aggressive and quite scary statement then left 22+ lads in limbo without so much as a single attempt at contact) would go down well.

10 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

That's another thing... All the incriminating tweets were before the training session happened... The tweet inviting the opposition to our training session was sent the night before... They have our contact details but made no effort to contact us and say "hold on, when you asked if you could hold a training session and we said yes this doesn't fall under that remit... You can't do this"...

They still haven't contacted us... Yet they had a statement up on the website within an hour of us leaving the field.

The ones I refer to had photos of players (I think from both sides) before kick off.

25 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

The ones I refer to had photos of players (I think from both sides) before kick off.

Yep, 30 minutes before the training match started... cutting it tight for telling us 'no' but that was only confirmation of what we had signalled as our intention the night before, after we were told we could train.

Should have said it was a game of rugby. Or cricket. Or any other sport that was allowed to be played at the weekend. 

I'm a staunch supporter of the royal family but was miffed that football was cancelled. My lad plays Sundays and it was the first game of the season for em so they were well up for it. I'm not sure cancelling their game made a blind bit of difference to anyone but them, but he missed out on spending time with his mates doing the thing he loves the most. They could have had a minutes silence followed by a minutes applause before the game, black armbands, the works. Let them show respect and teach them. Instead they went to meadowhall and had fast food and looked at expensive trainers. It's what she would have wanted I reckon. 

As for the politics behind the pro games being cancelled, if its true they did it cos they were worried that certain fan bases would be disrespectful then that is a disgrace. 

• Like 1