Sheffield Football Teams Branded "Despicable"...

1 hour ago, Binky Griptite said:

My work obviously has a code of conduct that we're expected to stick to. If i'd played football with a bunch of people i met riding a desk at work would work also be able to brand us "despicable"?

At the very least you should be getting an apology from the people that used that language.

The people who’ve decided to publicise their displeasure at you really need putting back in their box.

A kickabout doesn’t fall under their jurisdiction and so there were no rules of theirs to follow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, markg said:

If it bought negative PR and impacted on their reputation then potentially yes

It's only reflective of the league if the league display such a lack of humility as to think their importance stretches to matters outwith their sphere of influence... And to think we're the ones being accused of showing a lack of humility (as well as being despicable).

I also think their statement brings more negative PR to their league than anything s bunch of lads did on Saturday morning.

Their statement should have read "we have heard reports of two member clubs conducting a football match today. These reports will be investigated and if found to be in beach of the FA guidelines on football this weekend will be dealt with as appropriate."

Instead guilt has been assumed before full facts are known and before any due process and that's not acceptable.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

It's only reflective of the league if the league display such a lack of humility as to think their importance stretches to matters outwith their sphere of influence... And to think we're the ones being accused of showing a lack of humility (as well as being despicable).

I also think their statement brings more negative PR to their league than anything s bunch of lads did on Saturday morning.

Their statement should have read "we have heard reports of two member clubs conducting a football match today. These reports will be investigated and if found to be in beach of the FA guidelines on football this weekend will be dealt with as appropriate."

Instead guilt has been assumed before full facts are known and before any due process and that's not acceptable.

For what it’s worth. I agree with you.

i don’t think that technically you did anything wrong. But the tweeting around it of all was a bit classless and there was surely no need. Sometimes what is technically okay and morally okay aren’t the same thing 

By registering to play in a league players are agreeing to abide by FA and league rules.

Here there is a deliberate misinterpretation of the rules or a loophole has been found.

Either way it is a case it is a case of not knowing what the right thing to do is.

Blanket postponement on football matches. Clubs getting branded despicable for having a kick about.

Some bloke getting threatened with arrest yesterday because he had a blank sign and might write something offensive on it.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

The Times have now been in contact asking for us to go on record for an article. 

Where's Max Clifford when you need him?

Crazy, all this for akickabout.

Get the people that were tweeting about it and drawing the attention to it to deal with it 

4 hours ago, latemodelchild said:

As for the politics behind the pro games being cancelled, if its true they did it cos they were worried that certain fan bases would be disrespectful then that is a disgrace. 

Where did you read this?

Very sinister if true

55 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

Where's Max Clifford when you need him?

In a prison cemetery?

Just my own thoughts here, but I wonder if the wearing of the team kits was the tipping point. By turning up and playing in their kits it might give the impression of playing an organised game as representatives of those clubs, which are in turn governed by the FA. Had the teams played in non-matching random kit then I maybe nobody would've batted an eyelid.

18 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

In a prison cemetery?

Just my own thoughts here, but I wonder if the wearing of the team kits was the tipping point. By turning up and playing in their kits it might give the impression of playing an organised game as representatives of those clubs, which are in turn governed by the FA. Had the teams played in non-matching random kit then I maybe nobody would've batted an eyelid.

I don't disagree that that might be an issue but what if we'd worn matching Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United kits... SWFC and SUFC wouldn't be sanctioned.

We pay for our kits as individuals, they have the Sheffield International badge on them (which we own the rights to as as a club), no FA logo and no SDFPL logo... It stands to reason that if 11 lads want to play a game of football against another 11 lads they'd wear a kit they all had access to readily at their disposal.

The matching kits might gain some attention but if anyone had enquired we'd have told them it was a training session kickabout and they'd go on their way.

6 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

I don't disagree that that might be an issue but what if we'd worn matching Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield United kits... SWFC and SUFC wouldn't be sanctioned.

We pay for our kits as individuals, they have the Sheffield International badge on them (which we own the rights to as as a club), no FA logo and no SDFPL logo... It stands to reason that if 11 lads want to play a game of football against another 11 lads they'd wear a kit they all had access to readily at their disposal.

The matching kits might gain some attention but if anyone had enquired we'd have told them it was a training session kickabout and they'd go on their way.

I don’t get the issue.

whoever was running the social media wanted attention, now they’ve got it 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, markg said:

I don’t get the issue.

whoever was running the social media wanted attention, now they’ve got it 

Attention is great, we need a new keeper (and a striker).

The Twitter account is nothing other than an inside joke in response to other clubs in the league who announce new signings, generate fancy matchday graphics, etc... It most certainly doesn't court attention - if it did it'd have been '#queen', '#football', '@SDFPL' & '@FA'... There was none of that, just plain text... The tweet just caught the mood of the nation and exploded against our expectations whilst we were kicking the ball about.

37 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

Exactly my point: the players were wearing the kits of the teams they play for, therefore it looks like an organised/official game. The players don't represent SWFC or SUFC, so if they'd worn those kits instead it wouldn't have quite looked so 'official' - although the fact that the teams would've still been wearing matching kits it still wouldn't have looked particularly good because it still suggests a certain amount of preparation/organisation.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Exactly my point: the players were wearing the kits of the teams they play for, therefore it looks like an organised/official game. The players don't represent SWFC or SUFC, so if they'd worn those kits instead it wouldn't have quite looked so 'official' - although the fact that the teams would've still been wearing matching kits it still wouldn't have looked particularly good because it still suggests a certain amount of preparation/organisation.

It wasn't a pick-up game, made of teams chosen on the spot from those walking by, but it was never claimed to be.

It was an organized kickabout training session so common sense dictates you coordinate clothing, what better way than to all wear the same kit? We're not a fancy dan outfit, our training kit is also our match kit is also our warm up kit is also our pub after the game kit.

If that's part of the claim against us we're guilty of coordinating outfits whilst kicking a ball about... "Despicable"

In the thread in Matchday regarding the Plymouth game being postponed (which has now mysteriously disappeared) you were giving it the big un about how the game had been postponed so you'd organised a friendly against the same team. But they told you no dice so you'd deliberately got around the rules by organising a joint training session with the opposite team. 

Answer honestly - was there any 'training' or did you all just play a match?

I think the overiding smugness of getting round the ruling is what has wound people up. 

It was childish and disrespectful. 

Two teams have been rightly annoyed about a daft order to cancel their match, but they have basically gone ahead and played it anyway. You can dress it up and use as much ' not us, gov' language as you want, but that's what happened. 

Did it have to go on social media?, not convinced of the innocence of using it to be honest.

You should have been allowed to play the official game, but once you found a way round that then it all gotva bit messy. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Binky Griptite said:

It was an organized kickabout training session so common sense dictates you coordinate clothing, what better way than to all wear the same kit? 

Matching kits is a really great idea...except on a day when the whole country has been asked to not play any organised football.

Surely you can see how it looks, even if you didn't technically go against the guidance.

37 minutes ago, FattyOwl72 said:

In the thread in Matchday regarding the Plymouth game being postponed (which has now mysteriously disappeared) you were giving it the big un about how the game had been postponed so you'd organised a friendly against the same team. But they told you no dice so you'd deliberately got around the rules by organising a joint training session with the opposite team. 

Answer honestly - was there any 'training' or did you all just play a match?

I'm not aware of commenting in that thread, i did however comment in the QEII thread but hardly giving it large

"My teams match is cancelled so we arranged a friendly against the same team we were due to play in the league... then we were told that also couldn't be played, so now we're having a 'joint training session' with that other team, which involves a match simulation for 90 minutes."

We did some passing drills, some stretches, some running and then simulated a game. All perfectly normal things to do in a training session.