Sheffield Football Teams Branded "Despicable"...

8 minutes ago, punkskaphil said:

Matching kits is a really great idea...except on a day when the whole country has been asked to not play any organised football.

Surely you can see how it looks, even if you didn't technically go against the guidance.

I can see how it looks, but i can also see how the league have prejudged and described it as "despicable"... That's a really low bar to set for despicable actions.

Maybe it's my age, it maybe it's the (low) standard I've always played at but I've grown up with training sessions that are essentially simulations of games.

As I've said before misguided (by the league saying we could hold a training session), sure... Despicable, no.

23 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-football-teams-branded-despicable-by-league-after-arranging-friendly-following-queens-death-3839853

Thoughts?

No 'organised' football allowed so a bunch of mates who know each other from a football team arrange a training session against another bunch of lads who know each other from a football team.

They turn up in the kits of their respective teams as that's a convenient way of coordinating kits to distinguish sides.

League brands them "despicable" without any knowledge of how respect was shown before, during and after the session and having previously given the green light to training sessions.

(Yes, i was involved... No, I'm not happy to have been referred to in such incendiary language)

Wouldn't worry about it mate. it's still a free country for the time being. 

You did it you know you did it so stop the gonads hold you hands up and take the punishment then don't be so stupid if anything happens like this in the future.

No idea how anybody with half a brain thought you'd get away scot free it was 1 game just have a morning doing something else.

Also if you don't like the league/fa rules don't join a league just have a 22man training session every week.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Waddle93 said:

You did it you know you did it so stop the gonads hold you hands up and take the punishment then don't be so stupid if anything happens like this in the future.

No idea how anybody with half a brain thought you'd get away scot free it was 1 game just have a morning doing something else.

Also if you don't like the league/fa rules don't join a league just have a 22man training session every week.

We're guilty of having an uninsured, unofficial kick about, of playing a game of football outside the remit of the FA / League... and it might just come to that in terms of having non-league games only depending upon the outcome.

Edited by Binky Griptite
speeling
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, eddie1973 said:

Where did you read this?

Very sinister if true

There were screens it's of a tweet alleging it doing the rounds. Not sure I believe it tbh. Personally I'd have let all games go ahead and if a set of fans decide to bring shame on themselves then that's their problem and the FA can brand them despicable and fine them. 

I expect you will be fined etc but then it would be interesting to take them to court if you are… could a court say that you actually did enough wrong to be financially punished?   

You’ve mocked their ‘system’ by tweeting about it (and you can’t say you didn’t want attention - once you’ve put it on the internet it’s out of your hands - we can’t pretend it wasn’t posted for ‘likes’). 

4 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

I have to say that it is the Tory government that have taught people to think this way.

Rules? Pffft!. We'll find some way to justify our actions.

These ‘establishments’ seem to enjoy telling people what you can and can’t do…. and in this case branding them as ‘despicable’ because they did something they don’t agree with. It sounds like a power trip…. and emotional. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Binky Griptite said:

We're guilty of having an uninsured, unofficial kick about, of playing a game of football outside the remit of the FA / League... and it might just come to that in terms of having non-league games only depending upon the outcome.

That's probably best to just have a kickabouts as you don't want to be run under FA/League banner.

4 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

I expect you will be fined etc but then it would be interesting to take them to court if you are… could a court say that you actually did enough wrong to be financially punished?   

You’ve mocked their ‘system’ by tweeting about it (and you can’t say you didn’t want attention - once you’ve put it on the internet it’s out of your hands - we can’t pretend it wasn’t posted for ‘likes’). 

These ‘establishments’ seem to enjoy telling people what you can and can’t do…. and in this case branding them as ‘despicable’ because they did something they don’t agree with. It sounds like a power trip…. and emotional. 

These establishments are optional to join though nobody makes them so Don't want to follow there guidance then don't join them.

4 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

You sign up to play in a league and you agree to abide by their rules and the rules of the FA. 

It is emotional due to the circumstances surrounding this breach of the rules and it is not about telling people what they can and can't do it is about people flouting the rules in a very unsympathetic and inconsiderate way. 

• Like 1

On 12/09/2022 at 16:37, Ever the pessimist said:

If it’s the ones who did a running commentary on Twitter, then I think the way they joked about it probably didn’t help.

This 100%. I wouldn't have minded you playing, I was  against matches being cancelled anyway. However, the pure gloating at the fact you got around the rules and pretty much a f*** you to the SDFPL, the FA, and the Queen's death is what annoyed me and obviously others.

Maybe it's harsh, but you've only got yourselves to blame for the tweets. I do wonder if an injury had occurred, whether your clubs insurance would have covered you as well....I highly doubt it would have with the match sanctioned and could easily be argued its not a training match when 2 teams due to play that day turn up in their colours. Thankfully that wasn't an issue though.

I do say the above in as nice as way possible. I do like your lads and you're a good bunch, but just think you was misguided at the weekend. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smhouston said:

This 100%. I wouldn't have minded you playing, I was  against matches being cancelled anyway. However, the pure gloating at the fact you got around the rules and pretty much a f*** you to the SDFPL, the FA, and the Queen's death is what annoyed me and obviously others.

Maybe it's harsh, but you've only got yourselves to blame for the tweets. I do wonder if an injury had occurred, whether your clubs insurance would have covered you as well....I highly doubt it would have with the match sanctioned and could easily be argued its not a training match when 2 teams due to play that day turn up in their colours. Thankfully that wasn't an issue though.

I do say the above in as nice as way possible. I do like your lads and you're a good bunch, but just think you was misguided at the weekend. 

As a fellow player and a decent lad i appreciate the comments; however it was clearly stated on the Friday night when we decided to hold the session that it would be uninsured as it was not an official game and was not played under the insurance of the club - there were no attempts to "have our cake and eat it" in terms of having the protections of an organized game whilst claiming it was unorganized... 

It most definitely was not a f*** you to the Queen... I personally walked 5km to the ground listening to the radio coverage and the wonderful stories about the queen, after the game i walked 10km back home, again listening to the radio coverage, I'm not going to say i was close to tears or an emotional wreck because i wasn't but when you work Thursday & Friday and have Teams meetings arranged for the uppers in the organization to declare how sorry they are at the loss, then can't turn the TV on for coverage, can't go on the internet without banners across every website declaring sympathy and condolences, can't go to Meadowhall without every single billboard being given over to images of the Queen... You need a break from it... I enjoy walking, it's something you can do whilst 'passively' listening to music, or the radio... I can pay my respects, show my sympathy, express my sadness MY WAY by listening to the radio whilst walking, because you can sure as eggs are eggs believe I'm not going to sit at home and watch rolling coverage and any indication that that is the only way to 'mourn' is preposterous... I played football in the lead up to, after her passing and before the funeral, and in the months following my Mum's death from a short illness... I didn't disrespect her in doing so, the league didn't disrespect her by not cancelling football... The world went on and playing football, walking and running was a way of coping, moreover it was a way of getting close to my Mum as she was my biggest fan, probably my only fan, and even as an adult would be stood on the sidelines more often than not watching me play, or stuff on a 10km course cheering me on, getting two buses to games and standing away from everyone so as to not embarrass me. The death of the Queen didn't remind me of my own lots because i haven't forgotten it in the last 11 years but it did draw comparisons to that time and i thought absolutely nothing to going and kicking a football around with mates on an informal basis outside of the league or FA remit 

I'm not going to go into any detail of what the team did as a whole as a mask of respect as that's private to each of the lads, plus I'm not one for virtue signaling at a time when the nation is mourning... That's something else that's got my goat about the league statement... It shows no knowledge of what happened around the game and labels us in an attempt to come across as virtuous as possible. It's point scoring, plain and simple.

Finally, just by way of an example of how downright weird things are right now here's the latest piece of advice dished out to people wanting to ride a bike...

Screenshot_2022-09-14-06-46-44-52_0b2fce7a16bf2b728d6ffa28c8d60efb.jpg.51b1f4705f5e6fe33cdb1281e6592bc5.jpg

So much for physical exercise being an outlet in times of stress, strain or sadness (or other times when you want to self-medicate with physical activity).

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

So...when does your sine die ban start ? lol

My understanding (as of late last night) is the County FA have very quickly and efficiently stated there is no case to answer.

So i guess it's just a case of whether the SDFPL want to enforce something, retract their despicable statement or something else. I don't believe they are a "total climbdown" type of organisation so we shall see.

4 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Absolutely ridiculous to describe people as despicable when there are literally thousands of people at the Oval on the same day. Sound like pompous arseholes.

SDFPL Email (Friday): "if it was up to us we wouldn't cancel games and we are understanding of your disappointment, but sadly it's a decision above us"

SDFPL Statement (Saturday): "DESPICABLE"