Alex Neil

owls79

The Black Cats said they were "contractually obliged" to permit Neil to hold talks following an approach.

In their statement, the club said they were "committed to retaining Alex's services as head coach and will be making no further comment at this moment in time."

Guest I Love Coffee

This seems very surprising, not sure what Stoke can offer that Sunderland don't - other than a lot more money?

Did he play for them or support them maybe?

2 hours ago, BridportOwl said:

@Mackem1 What do you think of all this? You must be gutted.

Hello Pal, yeah the vast majority are livid (Myself included) without boring you with our "philosophy" but we seem to have this model in place for mainly buying / free transfers / loans young players with a view to developing them, like we have just signed an unknown 18 year old from Costa Rica......  the other way of looking at things is that they are "Cheap" signings even though yes we have paid for players as well.  Then Alex Neil was only ever on a 12-month rolling contact and the view was to offer him another one in due course.

In my opinion he hasn't really been backed with cold hard cash, more scrimping about in say Lidl as opposed to a Tescos so to speak. Well.  Its backfired as his gone to Stoke for talks citing not been properly backed as his reason.  really narked at our powers to be as most are!

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, 109Waddle said:

Would be annoyed if I was a Sunderland fan. Stoke???? Jeez.

Yeah is most peoples thoughts pal.  I am not one to be coming on here going on and on about crowds, etc, etc,  But how can we not compete with Stoke?

43 minutes ago, bradowl said:

Strange one this, I thought Stoke had massive debts and possibly become next Derby/SWFC getting points deducted. 

Exactly. I think Sunderlands transfer strategy makes sense on paper, to combat FFP. But you can do it more in L1. Need more of a blend in the championship and the squad is paper thin, especially if either striker gets injured so it seems the owner is quite frugal. Whereas Coates is similar to Chansiri in that he has the cash but might get in bother for spending. They have a pretty solid championship team. 

I saw Stoke in preseason they were rubbish at Tynecastle and according to their forum Oatcake they had a full strength team out that day. It was their final game the week before the season started. They looked like a team that will struggle and their early results suggest that too.

It’s a weird one Sunderland are much bigger club than them too. I don’t know why he would move other than for money.

He apparently wanted some former PNE players like that tramp who used to get FF sent off? Pearson? Sunderlands approach is to buy at a younger age which makes sense but unlike L1 where you can build it can put you under pressure. That’s not to say they couldn’t do well with a young side like Coventry did. Basically if Neil isn’t convinced he can do that job they’re better off with someone else in my view. Neil got them promoted at our expense so he could suggest job done.

He’s a solid manager at that level and his teams always hard to play against but he’s no different to Ainsworth at Wycombe with time wasting, targeted wind ups  and heavy challenges to key players. PNE we’re awful for it. He’s been on a great run at Sunderland and an extended honeymoon to a degree but fans at SOL want better than that and he’s better off at the Potteries who are in that Millwall and Blades bracket where it’s part of the culture. At least they will get a few quid from his poor behaviour.

Tony Mowbray linked 

Neil is a prat 

Rowett binned us off for that job as well (2018) and it was similar to this in that both our clubs were mid table until Lampard got those ridiculous loans in (Mount, Tomori and Wilson) which propelled us into the playoffs. 

It must be money driven and not for players but for himself same as Rowett at the time 

Judas move that . Imagine leaving a club as big as Sunderland (also after the back of a huge promotion), to join a shitheap like Stoke? The definition of a sideways move

Few factors must be at play here. Low salary at Sunderland. Was he supported in the market? A lot of their fans seem to think they’ll go straight back down 

12 hours ago, DCFCOwls said:

Neil is a prat 

Rowett binned us off for that job as well (2018) and it was similar to this in that both our clubs were mid table until Lampard got those ridiculous loans in (Mount, Tomori and Wilson) which propelled us into the playoffs. 

It must be money driven and not for players but for himself same as Rowett at the time 

Exactly. Has any manager gone to Stoke in the last 4 years and been successful? They seem to finish in the bottom half every season since they were relegated from the PL