Alex Neil

owls79

Wish this was last season and not now!

But a very sideways if not backwards step for him. Can only think he has been offered a massive pay cheque and decent sized budget... Although there's not long left of the window to use such budget. Without rummaging in the bargain bin. 

51 minutes ago, BridportOwl said:

Strange move if you ask me. Have Stoke got loads of cash, because I would have thought a club the size of Sunderland would have more potential than Stoke?

They've got loads of money behind them in the Coates family but it doesn't mean they can spend it.

They have been 'sailing close to the wind' of breaching FFP in the last few seasons. They have been having to reduce operating costs drastically over the last 2 years, of which supposedly included a £55M wage bill in 2020.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Dyche would've been a good fit for Stoke imo. Hopefully if Neil goes there then Sunderland poach Warne from Rotherham.

That's a good shout. Surprised more clubs haven't been linked with Warne as he's done a decent job at Rotherham on a limited budget 

• Like 1

Stoke have a solid squad he probably thinks he can get more from. Sunderland a bigger club but their squad is thin and operating on momentum. Seems he’s spat his dummy out a bit and taken a chance to leave whilst his record there is red hot. I can understand that from his pov in the short term but it doesn’t reflect well on Sunderland or him. I’m sure Stoke  made some huge losses and might have FFP issues?

2 hours ago, Jim said:

I can see Sunderland taking a look at Moore TBH.

I thought that too, or Ian Evatt but maybe they go back for Keane again. Both him and Dyche would want backing though so it seems as though they need a shoe string manager which both DM and Evatt/Warne have done (less so DM here) 

1 hour ago, IWEDFM said:

That's a good shout. Surprised more clubs haven't been linked with Warne as he's done a decent job at Rotherham on a limited budget 

Warne would deserve it but I wonder how he would do away from Rotherham. He’s very self depreciating 

Just now, Bluesteel. said:

Warne would deserve it but I wonder how he would do away from Rotherham. He’s very self depreciating 

Yeah, I do get the feeling that he wouldn't have the same effect at another club. He seems like the perfect fit for Rotherham a bit like Nathan Jones at Luton

• Like 2