Interesting test for the EFL

6 minutes ago, BridportOwl said:

IMO needs clamping down on.  I understand that it was a joyous night for Crawley, but after the incidents at the end of last season you just can't have people pouring onto the pitch at the end of matches.

I agree.

But the new rules seem pretty rigid - identified as a pitch invader = prosecuted and automatic club ban. But in this instance I just can't see all those fans getting banned and if not all, is it fair to just pick one or two?

Think it's all a bit of a mess.

• Like 1

Am I missing something here?  The games ended,  it's a famous victory for them.  Fans on pitch after the game celebrating is a tradition for massive wins or achievements. 

During the game is a different matter and should be dealt with accordingly.  As should anyone who throws things at players,  but common sense must prevail here. 

• Like 1

I saw this on Sky the night of the match. As @Lime Tree Heros said, it's a bit of a mess. I can't see all the Crawley fans being banned. That would really really hurt Crawley financially. And yet the EFL have put new measures in place, so if they don't act, they will be seen as weaker than they already are.

Personally, I would fine Crawley, and give them a points deduction (as this is an EFL cup competition, that might not be legally possible). Both suspended. If any evidence of fans not enjoying the occasion on the pitch in a respectful manner came to light, i.e. attacking or goading of the opposition players, I would give them 12 month bans, which should limit the financial impact to the club yet send out a message.

I'm not sure what else can be done.

2 hours ago, ChapSmurf said:

I saw this on Sky the night of the match. As @Lime Tree Heros said, it's a bit of a mess. I can't see all the Crawley fans being banned. That would really really hurt Crawley financially. And yet the EFL have put new measures in place, so if they don't act, they will be seen as weaker than they already are.

Personally, I would fine Crawley, and give them a points deduction (as this is an EFL cup competition, that might not be legally possible). Both suspended. If any evidence of fans not enjoying the occasion on the pitch in a respectful manner came to light, i.e. attacking or goading of the opposition players, I would give them 12 month bans, which should limit the financial impact to the club yet send out a message.

I'm not sure what else can be done.

Points deduction seems harsh.

A club can literally do nothing to stop fans getting on the pitch, other than to install fencing.

You can increase security and make it harder, but if fans really want to get n the pith, they'll get on.

How can 20 stewards stop 200 people trying to get access? They'd struggle 200 v 200 to stop them all.

1 hour ago, Skyline said:

Points deduction seems harsh.

A club can literally do nothing to stop fans getting on the pitch, other than to install fencing.

You can increase security and make it harder, but if fans really want to get n the pith, they'll get on.

How can 20 stewards stop 200 people trying to get access? They'd struggle 200 v 200 to stop them all.

A points deduction might not even be possible, but I did suggest suspended. It is a harsh penalty, but maybe it will show others that this will not be tolerated. It was just suggesting a way of laying down the law without impacting the club at this stage.

I did originally write in my post, and then delete, that no club can afford to employ 1,000 stewards or police for matches, but you've echoed that statement yourself. Bar fencing, which we know all too well can cause other issues, what is a club supposed to do? Yet, who do the EFL crack down on? It's easier for the EFL to get one club in order than 100s/1000s of its fans.

It's a tough one.

Edited by ChapSmurf

26 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

A points deduction might not even be possible, but I did suggest suspended. It is a harsh penalty, but maybe it will show others that this will not be tolerated. It was just suggesting a way of laying down the law without impacting the club at this stage.

I did originally write in my post, and then delete, that no club can afford to employ 1,000 stewards or police for matches, but you've echoed that statement yourself. Bar fencing, which we know all too well can cause other issues, what is a club supposed to do? Yet, who do the EFL crack down on? It's easier for the EFL to get one club in order than 100s/1000s of its fans.

It's a tough one.

I totally agree they need to do something to crack down on it. But it is tough to decide how/what.

Either way, the club is going to be impacted. Be it financial or points deduction. Clubs should have rules to follow and proof they did to try and stop it. 

The minority can really spoil it for the majority.

And let be honest, the minority will start the invasion and the rest follow. 

2 minutes ago, Skyline said:

I totally agree they need to do something to crack down on it. But it is tough to decide how/what.

Either way, the club is going to be impacted. Be it financial or points deduction. Clubs should have rules to follow and proof they did to try and stop it. 

The minority can really spoil it for the majority.

And let be honest, the minority will start the invasion and the rest follow. 

It's very tough. Without wanting to pick out Crawley, an example must be made now. It has to impact the fans too, to either stop them in their tracks, or to polarise those who are opposed to pitch invasions and those that aren't. Maybe the former can get through to the latter.

It is a herd mentallity though. Fortunately the vast majority just want to celebrate, cause no harm and be tribal. But that does still put players, officials and staff in a potentially dangerous situation, whilst surrounded by emotionally hyped-up supporters.

We've all read about people getting killed at big religious festivals around the world, due to a stampede. It would only take one person to fall and others to follow to cause something catastrophic during a pitch invasion, under the wrong circumstances.

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

If wednesday get promoted at Hillsborough everyone will be on the pitch like in 2012. Great memories what football is all about. One day it'll be seat belts and silence but until then the last bastions of passion and spontaneous joy exist.

Morons have ruined it unfortunately and a strict stance is needed. The fact is a pitch invasion can lead to players getting attacked or stuff getting trashed. Player safety has to come first.

You don't need to be on the pitch with a smartphone to celebrate with spontaneous joy. You can do that in the stands.

The seatbelts and silence remark shows you up a bit though. Grow up ffs.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

If wednesday get promoted at Hillsborough everyone will be on the pitch like in 2012. Great memories what football is all about. One day it'll be seat belts and silence but until then the last bastions of passion and spontaneous joy exist.

Did you see this? I'm a short bloke and yes it can be frustrating but they are sucking the life from the game. Burnley banned a couple of fans for "persistent standing" seems a bit OTT. 

Burnley-Introduce-Anti-Standing-Law-at-Turf-Moor-And-Fans-Arent-Happy.jpg

58 minutes ago, Quickly Kevin said:

Morons have ruined it unfortunately and a strict stance is needed. The fact is a pitch invasion can lead to players getting attacked or stuff getting trashed. Player safety has to come first.

You don't need to be on the pitch with a smartphone to celebrate with spontaneous joy. You can do that in the stands.

The seatbelts and silence remark shows you up a bit though. Grow up ffs.

I'm completely comfortable with being shown up a bit. You're taking me completely literally. It's a throwaway remark at the fact that football is becoming increasingly sanitised in the stands for better or for worse. It's worth a debate, there are still plenty of people around that want to improve the atmosphere. Safe standing, standing sections but the continual response is 'grow up'. 

Ok, the pitch invasions are a seperate matter but for me it's something iconic and synonymous with partizan football atmospheres at the end of the season or for a big cup win. 

• Like 1