I still think we need two centre backs at Sheffield Wednesday F.C.

If we could get Dean back then it would strengthen us considerably at the back. That said I think Saturday was one of those games that you get when you’ve got new players in the back line not to mention a new keeper too.

• Like 1

Or some would say, switch to a conventional back 4 and bring in no more centre backs.

I say this as I looked at those 3 defenders on Saturday and I think all 3 would suit playing in a back 4 as they are all clunky in possession. It’s a pre-requisite that defenders are good on the ball by building attacks playing in our current system. They are certainly not as good as hutch, storey, Dean and Gibson in that regard. 

1 hour ago, Harrysgame said:

Can we play 6 at the back...might help.

Tbh it’d still be organised chaos. lol 

I’m not convinced by Iorfa since he was out doesn’t seem the same. Don’t know enough about Heneghan or Ihiekwe and we haven’t seen enough of them but in my eyes it’s all to do with the organisation of that back 3, rather than them suddenly turn into poor defenders. They’ve obviously not played much together either but neither had Dean and Storey when they came in. It’s early days yet I suppose. 

There’s no chance of us getting Storey back but I think he played a huge part in getting us back on track last season. 

Get Dawson back in net too…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Or some would say, switch to a conventional back 4 and bring in no more centre backs.

I say this as I looked at those 3 defenders on Saturday and I think all 3 would suit playing in a back 4 as they are all clunky in possession. It’s a pre-requisite that defenders are good on the ball by building attacks playing in our current system. They are certainly not as good as hutch, storey, Dean and Gibson in that regard. 

True, but to do that you need to strengthen other areas like defensive midfielders and wingers. 
Playing 3 centre backs proved effective with the available squad last season. I’d persevere with it and try and add one more left sided centre back.

It’s the first game for an entirely new defence. Plus, it’s not like Portsmouth we’re cutting us to shreds - they barely created anything. Iorfa lost his man twice from two pretty standard balls into the box - that’s what it boiled down to. Take that out the equation and we win the game comfortably.

And when it comes to being comfortable on the ball I don’t think Dean or Storey were any better than Iorfa or Ihiekwe are. Many would have said the same about Tom Lees too, but he played all last season in that position for a side the got 90 mins from the premier league. So I wouldn’t get too hung up on it.

• Haha 1

I've been saying it for ages

We lost 6 centre backs at the end of last season

We've brought 3 in

We're a minimum of two short

I expect we will bring two in on loan on the last day of the window

We need a wide player with pace to compete with Jack Hunt too

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Is there any chance Birmingham might want to take one of our players to make the Harlee Dean thing happen?

Much as I'd like to send them Jaden Brown or Sow, i'm thinking more mabye, Iorfa, who is is stagnating here, so might be best for both to do a swap. Or Paterson as an all-round utility player?

(Same question could go to Hull if we're still interested in Wilks)