Sheffield Wednesday Ladies FC

Just now, Grezus Bezzus said:

Was it your mum or an ex partner who hurt you?

I’m married pal, the wife agrees with me that it should be driven by commercial value rather than piggybacking if someone else.

The fair way to set pay is for mens and womens games to set up their own commercial deals and then get paid from that

1 minute ago, Grezus Bezzus said:

I don't know anyone who disagrees with that on the whole. Whose saying they should be paid equally?

Well I mean some of the other examples in the thread have been the US women’s team getting the same as the men’s and female tennis players getting the same. That’s already happened. I was kind of saying it shouldn’t have because they wouldn’t have been able to get those amounts based purely on the back of their own commercial value. For example, the women tennis players are taking some value from Djokovic/Nadal/Federer if they’re getting the same prize money as that’s money that would go into the men’s prize pot if they made their own deals. As I mentioned though, the male players don’t seem to have an issue with it, maybe because they’re all rich already.

Female footballers in general obviously don’t get paid the same as the men’s but would expect some of the pundits would be pushing for that with the way they talk about it. For example, Hayes saying a football league job would be a step down from Chelsea womens 

It seems very odd the way the Sheffield Wednesday women's team has no formal affiliation with the club. This should be addressed.

It seems for a smallish amount of money the club could change this - e.g. the issue around kit and more social media promotion of the team (video clips, advertising kick-off times/tickets). Perhaps there are other more creative ways too - e.g. if any of our players want to go into coaching they could have some role in their spare time coaching the players to get early experience.

People often say 'invest' rather than 'spend' when talking about the women's team. I'm not sure if there is much return on investment. Crowds are small and it appears the women's football operation is operating at a loss. The clubs that have spent heavily on women's football and have been successful like Chelsea and Man City can easily write off £5 million because they are funded by billionaires (who are often engaged in sportswashing anyway, so the club itself isn't their main concern).

But I can see an argument that this money brings in more long-term fans, creates greater links in the community and ultimately builds the brand of the club. So perhaps there is a longer-term value.

But the things I am suggesting (kit and the time of a social media manager, one or two coaches, access to facilities). I think we're talking about £50k rather £5 million. Would be an interesting project to see if they can take the team up from Division 6 to say Division 4 and then make a longer-term decision about whether to invest more money in the women's team after that.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Biggest thread on Owlstalk is one where  some men rant against women playing football or having equality 

Make of that what you will

Some, but not most. I think plenty on here are asking about the club's policy and role of the ladies club which seems like a legitimate topic.

On 02/08/2022 at 08:52, @owlstalk said:

It's not so much the financials of it but the fact the club don't even help with any publicity to help them grow.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the womens game explodes in popularity and becomes financially profitable (which it will - very quickly) and whether or not the club allows the current setup to continue or moves in with a hostile takeover after providing no real assistance in the growth to get to that point.

I don't agree that it will ever become financially profitable tbh. Not the smaller clubs anyway. 

This tournament win will be forgotten in a few weeks sadly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emerson Thome said:

It seems very odd the way the Sheffield Wednesday women's team has no formal affiliation with the club. This should be addressed.

It seems for a smallish amount of money the club could change this - e.g. the issue around kit and more social media promotion of the team (video clips, advertising kick-off times/tickets). Perhaps there are other more creative ways too - e.g. if any of our players want to go into coaching they could have some role in their spare time coaching the players to get early experience.

People often say 'invest' rather than 'spend' when talking about the women's team. I'm not sure if there is much return on investment. Crowds are small and it appears the women's football operation is operating at a loss. The clubs that have spent heavily on women's football and have been successful like Chelsea and Man City can easily write off £5 million because they are funded by billionaires (who are often engaged in sportswashing anyway, so the club itself isn't their main concern).

But I can see an argument that this money brings in more long-term fans, creates greater links in the community and ultimately builds the brand of the club. So perhaps there is a longer-term value.

But the things I am suggesting (kit and the time of a social media manager, one or two coaches, access to facilities). I think we're talking about £50k rather £5 million. Would be an interesting project to see if they can take the team up from Division 6 to say Division 4 and then make a longer-term decision about whether to invest more money in the women's team after that.

It all depends what the Women's team actually want. And its a genuine question because I honestly don't know, does anyone? Lots of people seem to be speaking on behalf of the Womens team without knowing what they are asking for.

If its just exposure, then it seems sensible enough, and surely no one can deny that this has to be a good thing,..... but if they want the same access to the clubs facilities as the mens/boys teams, (training ground, medical, rehabilitation, gyms, kits, coaches etc,...) then this would obviously be costly to the club. 

15 minutes ago, Miffed said:

It all depends what the Women's team actually want. And its a genuine question because I honestly don't know, does anyone? Lots of people seem to be speaking on behalf of the Womens team without knowing what they are asking for.

If its just exposure, then it seems sensible enough, and surely no one can deny that this has to be a good thing,..... but if they want the same access to the clubs facilities as the mens/boys teams, (training ground, medical, rehabilitation, gyms, kits, coaches etc,...) then this would obviously be costly to the club. 

It is a good question. Would be interesting to hear more if anyone involved in the club wanted to post on here.

The amount of money is key, because we are running the men's team at a huge loss every season and it is only sustainable under the current model if Chansiri continues to swallow the costs.

A small amount seems reasonable (and better than nothing, which is the current arrangement I think?). And some of the things you mention - access to training ground, gym, second-hand equipment etc. can be given at cost/free rather than commercial rates. But we definitely can't afford to finance a multi-million pound team at loss like Premier League clubs do right now.

• Like 1

If any of you want women's football to grow go watch it instead of the men's on a Saturday. When the swfc ladies play all go watch and the club will notice that there is demand for it, cause right now there isn't

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

If any of you want women's football to grow go watch it instead of the men's on a Saturday. When the swfc ladies play all go watch and the club will notice that there is demand for it, cause right now there isn't

Can you not watch both or is it not allowed in your world 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, bladeshater said:

Can you not watch both or is it not allowed in your world 

If they paly on saturdays at the same time youre gonna have to make a choice. Will you be going to any of the ladies games?

Just to say, Sheffield Wednesday Ladies is a Grassroots club and one of the best run clubs around. That’s all thanks to the hard work of the volunteers at the club.

I was there for just around 10 years and had fab times. The club do show interest, they could show more.

Key thing is, they offer a football platform for around 200 girls and Women, for that they should be applauded 👏👏 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 02/08/2022 at 08:48, @owlstalk said:

Because that's what they've named themselves and want to be known as

Which is good, although I would like to suggest something like "SWFC Get This Talon In Your Eye" as a possible alternative. I think "talon" sounds classier than "beak" and "eye"more painful than "*rs*" but I might be getting carried away by hearing constant repetitions of the word "lionesses" unti l have actually developed a facial tic in snticipation of hearing the word every time a female news presenter gets on the air. I never knew we had so many middle-class reality-disconnected bandwagon jumpers. It's like a film loop of  "The Belles of St Trinians".😁

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, VictoryBell said:

Which is good, although I would like to suggest something like "SWFC Get This Talon In Your Eye" as a possible alternative. I think "talon" sounds classier than "beak" and "eye"more painful than "*rs*" but I might be getting carried away by hearing constant repetitions of the word "lionesses" unti l have actually developed a facial tic in snticipation of hearing the word every time a female news presenter gets on the air. I never knew we had so many middle-class reality-disconnected bandwagon jumpers. It's like a film loop of  "The Belles of St Trinians".😁

Not a clue on the above 

1 hour ago, Grezus Bezzus said:

They play on Sundays. 

It's not a choice of men Vs women.

Good, that means more people can turn up to watch them. I expect everyone that is calling for an investment into the women's team to go to the games

• Thanks 1