Potential record breaker

11 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

I wonder what's the highest combined crowd for a Championship play-off over two legs? Could be in with a shout of breaking that too.

Off the top of my head I thought Leeds v Derby a couple of years ago but that was under 70k combined.

Then I remembered Newcastle playing Sunderland in the play offs back in the early 90s so thought that must surely be a record but I looked it up and no, only 32k at Newcastle and 26k at Sunderland. Pfft, tinpot. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

Leeds won’t be happy about this.

They’ll be wanting to get relegated again to try and win there title back.

They should be content with their seat smashing record. Wonder how many they are on this season?

27 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

I wonder what's the highest combined crowd for a Championship play-off over two legs? Could be in with a shout of breaking that too.

I’ve just had a look through quite a few years and the highest two leg attendance I can find for a play off semi in any division is Villa v Middlesbrough is 2018.

There was 40,505 for Villa’s home leg and 29,233 for Boro’s home leg so a combined crowd over the two legs of 69,738.

The Wednesday v Sunderland crowd over two legs is going to beat that so looks like it’ll be a record crowd over the two legs for a play off semi in any division 

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Off the top of my head I thought Leeds v Derby a couple of years ago but that was under 70k combined.

Then I remembered Newcastle playing Sunderland in the play offs back in the early 90s so thought that must surely be a record but I looked it up and no, only 32k at Newcastle and 26k at Sunderland. Pfft, tinpot. 

Sunderland would still have been at Roker Park in the early 90s?

The grunters played Sunderland in the play off semi in 1998, I thought that could have been up there.

There was 40,092 at Sunderland but only 23,800 for the leg at bramall lane

incredibly sales are poor for home game . sold only appx 18000 . sunderland have sold 40000 its almost like that fans wont buy tickets until saturday . i attend home and away win lose draw sleet snow rain sun i dont wait to see if we get hammered before i buy.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

I’ve just had a look through quite a few years and the highest two leg attendance I can find for a play off semi in any division is Villa v Middlesbrough is 2018.

There was 40,505 for Villa’s home leg and 29,233 for Boro’s home leg so a combined crowd over the two legs of 69,738.

The Wednesday v Sunderland crowd over two legs is going to beat that so looks like it’ll be a record crowd over the two legs for a play off semi in any division 

we will need a big upturn in sales to beat that ,im quite shocked how slow our sales are . 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, morganowl said:

incredibly sales are poor for home game . sold only appx 18000 . sunderland have sold 40000 its almost like that fans wont buy tickets until saturday . i attend home and away win lose draw sleet snow rain sun i dont wait to see if we get hammered before i buy.

18000 is nearly everyone who can buy one before tomorrow?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

If sunderland win first leg 5-0 then only 2060 will be at Hillsborough.

2000 mackems and 60 stewards.

2061, i'm going whatever. We'll win 6-0 at Hillsborough anyway.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

18000 is nearly everyone who can buy one before tomorrow?

yer thats the reason then , quite strange , usually season ticket holders get 2/3 days to claim own seat but rest of tickets usually free to buy to anyone with an id at the same time . sunderland aint messing about like we are they have sold 40000 . 

57 minutes ago, morganowl said:

Only season ticket holders can buy one!

it’ll be sold out before Friday night.

Just now, JemmoJemoJemmo said:

Only season ticket holders can buy one!

it’ll be sold out before Friday night.

yes ive realised that now. dont understand why we are selling tickets this way . all seats not owned by a season ticket holder should have gone on sale saturday night with 100 points ,sunday 50 points then general sale monday . the quicker its sold the better . sunderland supporters could sell 46000 which i find incredible because they only once managed this in last 25 years and that was in the top flight against liverpool , the only sellout that ground has ever had.  hope our players get some decent ear buds thats seriously intimidating .