Best tackler in the whole of League One is…

Impressive stuff from Palmer.

I'm not sure why they set the bar at 40+ attempted tackles, though.

If we broaden it out, some of our other players have very impressive tackle success rates, too:

Dele-Bashiru: 100%

Brown: 100%

Shodipo: 100%

Dunkley: 93%

Iorfa: 89%

Hutchinson: 89%

Corbeanu: 89%

Luongo: 88%

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

I always find it weird when people who are stuck in their outdated views simply dismiss facts and stats and then just trot out their outdated inaccurate view again 🤣🤣

I was just about to make a similar comment but il just put-here here.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, adamwestsleftear said:

they set it at 40+ because you need a decent sample size for the stat to mean anything 

well done Liam Palmer ..

the best in the league 

It seems a bit of a high bar in this instance, though - it limits the pool of players to just 27 of the almost 500 to have featured in the division so far this season.

One fewer attempted tackle from Palmer and he'd have missed the cut, too.

If we're discussing tackle success rates, then we've got a few players who've been very impressive at stopping the opposition getting past them so far this season.

As I say:

Dele-Bashiru: 100%

Brown: 100%

Shodipo: 100%

Dunkley: 93%

Iorfa: 89%

Hutchinson: 89%

Corbeanu: 89%

Luongo: 88%

Palmer: 85%

...are all very impressive, in my book.

49 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

One fewer attempted tackle from Palmer and he'd have missed the cut, too. 

FFS

Really?

Thats like saying if a striker hadn't scored the goal that made him the highest ever scorer for England then he'd not be the highest ever scorer for England

Owlstalk Shop

17 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

FFS

Really?

Thats like saying if a striker hadn't scored the goal that made him the highest ever scorer for England then he'd not be the highest ever scorer for England

Is there any need for such an over the top response? Leave the "FFS" at the door.

I'm simply pointing out that only including players with 40 or more tackles limits the sample size to around 5 or 6% of the players who've appeared in the division so far this season, and restricts the field of Wednesday players whose tackle success rate is being considered to one.

When we're dealing with success rates rather than totals, that seems a very restrictive condition to apply, when in reality we have several other players whose rate of success is pretty damn impressive, too.

1 minute ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Is there any need for such an over the top response? Leave the "FFS" at the door.

I'm simply pointing out that only including players with 40 or more tackles limits the sample size to around 5 or 6% of the players who've appeared in the division so far this season, and restricts the field of Wednesday players whose tackle success rate is being considered to one.

When we're dealing with success rates rather than totals, that seems a very restrictive condition to apply, when in reality we have several other players whose rate of success is pretty damn impressive, too.

Yeah fair points
Sorry about the FFS
I just read it as someone trying to find reasons Liam Palmer shouldn't get the recognition

lol

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Yeah fair points
Sorry about the FFS
I just read it as someone trying to find reasons Liam Palmer shouldn't get the recognition

lol

Thanks.

I know some look for any stick with which to bash certain players, but I literally gave Palmer the recognition, alongside our other players who deserve recognition for their tackle success rate, in my post above.

To repeat: all very impressive, in my book.

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Did I mention he was voted player of the season not that long ago 

Some people seem to forget about the good stuff Liam does and concentrate on the negative parts 

True this!

In April 2014, Palmer was named as Sheffield Wednesday's Player Of The Season, as well as winning the 'Wise Old Owls Award'. However, he suffered a groin injury that kept him out for the rest of the season. Palmer made forty–four appearances in all competitions in the 2013–14 season.

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

There may well be more up to date stats, but according to adrianbullock.com, and wiki (yeah, I know) Liam Palmer is at no.23 in the all time appearances for SWFC with 322 appearances.

The lack of respect he gets from some on here is staggering. He has arguably been our best player this season (I know it's a fairly low bar).

Liam Palmer rocks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Blatter said:

No. Buxton and Hunt were preferred by previous managers most of the time and Liam was back up.

That said it’s great that he stuck it out at Wednesday and his value to play different positions is now being appreciated (by some at least).

Liam palmer has been in the team most weeks for 6 years now. Lewis Buxton left in about 2014 didn't he? I remember in 2016 we even had palmer playing LB due to Pudil having bisucit legs. Then after Hunt left the position has been his.

On 23/11/2021 at 12:56, Miffed said:

Find it odd that our own supporters are quick to pour scorn over "one of our own" (and weve hardly had an abundance of those in recent times) and cant embrace the acheivement of a long serving player.

When he went out on loan, many of us, myself included, felt it was probably time for Palmer to move on. But he showed determination and loyalty and came back stronger.

Arguably the only player in the past 20 or so years who is deserving of a testimonal (procedes to a charity of his choice, of course)

On 23/11/2021 at 12:58, @owlstalk said:

A testimonial to raise money for his football academy he has would be amazing

If Liam Palmer had a testimonial, the haters would go fvvcking mental. They would accuse Palmer of fraud. 

Palmer's under-rated, he's still a decent dependable squad player for us. I'd think that Luongo would probably be top of that list for us, if only he'd stay fit and injury free all season. Same with the likes of Dunkley; Iorfa, Hutchinson and Windass, if we had them fit all season, we'd have a good chance of getting promoted. Despite that and taking time to gel, we're slowly hitting form and looking more balanced as a team, and we're recently looking more like a side capable of maintaining a top 6 spot.