Lewis Wing

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Quite simply we have one of the best players in the league here in Wing

If we don't play him in the position where he excels he will be wasted and even worse criticised and hated on by fans who don't understand he's not in his natural position doing what he can do best

Nah!   

“He’s sh*t innit”.

The experts have already decided.

• Like 1

I think he’s less confident than he comes across and completely in awe of Bannan. Was almost a bit weird the way he bigged Baz up in first couple of interviews.

Think he’ll settle and do well but badly needs a goal to boost his self-belief and could do with stepping out of BB’s pipe a bit, that pass Wing slotted for Palmer’s (?) pizza cup goal other week was a thing of genuine beauty.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

If we don't play him in the position where he excels he will be wasted and even worse criticised and hated on by fans who don't understand he's not in his natural position doing what he can do best

If he's one of the division's best players if he's played slightly out of position he should still be able to play well as that is what the best players can do. It's not like we have the leagues best striker and are playing him at left back, he has a slightly different role in midfield to what he's supposedly excelled at in the past because we have Bannan who probably is the best player in the division there. He needs to show what he can do out of position so we think "imagine what this guy can do if we played him in his best position" not "he's been rubbish so we need to make him the main man-then he will be good" you need to work your way there. He doesn't start for me at the moment. He needs to work into the team then work into that number 10 role. 

8 minutes ago, Animis said:

So you're saying it's Moore's fault he looked poor? I get players may struggle if asked to play our of their 'natural' and best position but the manager surely wouldn't risk the team performance by doing this - or would he?

Gary Monk did it every week & DM seems to have a similar stubborn insistence on certain positions & formations, even at the expense of getting the most out of certain players.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

This is a prime example of what I've been predicting in my posts above

I know but you can't justify building the team around him when he can't even do a reasonable job in a slightly different position. The fact is we have not seen anything from him to justify his place in the team bar a few nice touches v Hudds.

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm just saying if you have the league's best striker and play him at left back not only will he not be able to excel and do the job we know he's capable of, but the fans will probably see him struggling at left back and boo him and slate him saying 'he's not very good is he?' and before you know it you get calls for him to be dropped

I suppose it depends on whether they can adapt - Paterson was/is a striker and played that position at a high level, but also was asked to fill in at full back.

Moore clearly needs to ensure he doesn't expose players and the team to unnecessary risks, as the crowd will react poorly when it doesn't work - Wing lost the ball in dangerous positions yesterday, which as you say, may have resulted from him playing in an unnatural role. However, I don't buy that fans 'hate' players as you suggest. I don't think it's terminology you should should be using.

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Again this is exactly the sort of fan logic I've been talking about above in my earlier posts

What do you mean fan logic? this is exactly how DM is doing it as well. What was it about Wing's cameo yesterday such as losing the ball in the middle in the park you think would be different if he had the ball higher up the field? he played rubbish because he had a rubbish day, not his position or DM's fault. Why make excuses for him?

1 minute ago, Screen Door Slams said:

Said in another thread......................Paul Warne had him playing out of his skin..................he looks lost under our manager

Yeah he does

It's very strange and disappointing so far

We need him to be played in his proper position with the same brief that he used to get at Rotherham

Owlstalk Shop

17 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That’s the problem isn’t it ? 

We defo have the players. 

Wing can be outstanding at this level. 

Adeniran was excellent for Wycombe last season. 

Corbeanu/shodipo rated as very good players. 

Iorfa is a Championship player. 

Bannan is a class act in this league, comfortably a Championship player. 

Paterson/Windass were wanted by Championship clubs in the summer. 

Hutchinson easily good enough for this level. 

Peacock-Farrell easily good enough for this level. 

Gregory better than 90% of forwards in this league. 

I could go on….

So the manager has been backed. 

There are no more excuses. 

The only thing Moore needs is a bit of time. But if he doesn’t start getting a tune out of the players above by Christmas, we have a serious problem. 

It really is all down to Moore to motivate and get the results.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RichSheffWeds said:

That’s the problem isn’t it ? 

We defo have the players. 

Wing can be outstanding at this level. 

Adeniran was excellent for Wycombe last season. 

Corbeanu/shodipo rated as very good players. 

Iorfa is a Championship player. 

Bannan is a class act in this league, comfortably a Championship player. 

Paterson/Windass were wanted by Championship clubs in the summer. 

Hutchinson easily good enough for this level. 

Peacock-Farrell easily good enough for this level. 

Gregory better than 90% of forwards in this league. 

I could go on….

So the manager has been backed. 

There are no more excuses. 

The only thing Moore needs is a bit of time. But if he doesn’t start getting a tune out of the players above by Christmas, we have a serious problem. 

It really is all down to Moore to motivate and get the results.

As everyone who reads the site will know I'm fiercely protective of managers at our club as I think our fanbase like the hire and fire method that simply doesn't work

But you're right

It's up to Moore now to get 'Moore' out of this squad

And I have absolutely no idea how he's going to do it quickly enough. 

I don't know our best starting lineup any'moore' than Darren Moore does - nor does anyone else.
I don't know our best formation, our best strategy
It feels like we are right at the start of pre-season

I do really hope that Wing is put in his natural position though and unleashed - and same for the players you mentioned too

Having said that the first 20 minutes yesterday was thrilling and maybe Moore can just get the team doing that for 90?

• Like 2

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Yeah he does

It's very strange and disappointing so far

We need him to be played in his proper position with the same brief that he used to get at Rotherham

And then hope that he does some of the basics better than he's been exhibiting so far. Probably a mixture of being both out of form and position. He needs to evidence the former to the coaching team to justify ousting someone else though IMO.

I think like a few players he’s been stunned that these other teams are putting up a fight and his confidence has suffered for it. 

Plus Hillsborough had turned negative by the time he got on and that doesn’t help (Even though the players caused this) 

Plus Moore changes things on a day to day basis. 

• Like 1