Lewis Wing

6 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Its only a couple of months  back you were absolutely slating our Chairman for criticisng our fans

I'm not criticising our fans

I'm saying that our fans will start to blame players if they are played out of position and don't do as well as they can do as a result

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm saying that our fans will start to blame players if they are played out of position and don't do as well as they can do as a result

Youve pointed at people and said they are doing it already.

Don't criticise our fans for expressing frustration at our stuttering start. None of them (not even one) are responsible and given the positivity (some of it false) around the team and the incoming transfers they've every right to be frustrated

1 minute ago, Grandad said:

Youve pointed at people and said they are doing it already.

Don't criticise our fans for expressing frustration at our stuttering start.  

Owlstalk Shop

5 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Youre saying (some) of our fans have started blaming players.

1 hour ago, Ray Von shabba said:

Have to agree on current performances but still think Wing has a roll to play.

Going to be controversial here and say I'd like to see a different midfield set up not including Bannan for a couple of games.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Bannan knocker as I think he is a really good player but we seem to want to channel everything through him and yesterday was a prime example of it not working after 30 minutes.

We constantly get overrun in midfield and would like to see a different option just to see if it worked any better.

Just a thought and guess I'll get some incoming.

I understand what you are saying. Bannan brings a lot to the team but you give up a lot at the same time. He can be masterful and control a game, he is exceptional at what he does well. The trouble is he wants to do everything and some of those things he's less capable than he thinks.

He's not the best penalty taker

He can't tackle

He's useless in the air

His corners are hit and miss

He doesn't score enough

Free kicks leave something to be desired

He can get over run by a physical side.

You need to build a team around Bannan to get the best out of him. That's absolutely fine and you could do well if you did that. You need a big target man and a mobile striker. You need wingers who can find space and midfield enforcers who can win possession and pass the ball to Bannan.

What you don't need are players like Wing and Byers, players who themselves have ability on the ball, who can dominate a game in their own right given a chance.

We seem to have fallen into the trap of getting good players who can't play in the same team as Bannan.  I hoped they would share the load with Bannan and we would get the best out of all of them but it hasn't happened, they are too much of the same thing and not enough of the other.

Maybe it will click but it hasn't so far. It might be an idea to give Bannan a day off and see what happens.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, blueandwhitematt said:

He’s a 10. Windass when he’s back is a 10. Berahino, Paterson, all very good options in L1 for playing off a main physical striker (in either a 4231 or 442).  Instead we’re persevering with a system that isn’t getting the best out of anyone and nullifying some of our most potentially creative players. 

Agreed

Owlstalk Shop

2 hours ago, katie melua said:

Under Warne he was given the 8 or 10 role and was Rotherhams stand out player.

If he's going to be neither during his time at S6, he may as well ask Colin to terminate the loan if he can.

I said at start Colin knows something - if Wing was any good Colin would not have loaned him to us  - how many on here would trust Colin FFS ?! 

Colin would not do us any favours - look at last player he gave us from Cardiff - remember him ?

And the one player we wanted to pay good money for from Cardiff - well Colin talked him out of it saying don't go there - remember him ? 

2 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I based everything on Huddersfield in the league cup, I thought his range of passing was exceptional and could take the ball forward too

The league cup game is long passed, what about his performance in the league games, what did you think of those?

Judging by WhoScored he's barely played as a 10 in his whole career. Only 16 out of 108 games. When he played so well against us for Rotherham last year it was in a midfield 3 like we are playing now, as one of the two '8' midfielders with licence to get forward:

927246522_Screenshot2021-09-19at09_19_29.png.b2dd20b77a854d10e4a7be3b9825480e.png

It feels like a jigsaw at the moment - I like the idea of a Bannan, Wing, Adeniran midfield where the players can all interchange positions but it doesn't seem to have worked yet. Maybe it will gel. But if we need a Luongo/Byers/Hutchinson type player a bit deeper to make this work then Wing should have a big role to play.

From what I've seen for other teams he's a quality player, so we need to give him a bit more time.

• Thanks 1