Lewis Wing

25 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Oh god

The Bannan haters are peddling their muck in every thread now aren't they?

lol

No not at all Neil, I actually said I like Bannan as a player.

All I said was it's not working and may be time to change and try something different as we're constantly overrun in midfield.

So that makes me a Bannan hater ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, adamwestsleftear said:

The bannan haters remind me of the apprentice.

Do you blame the mistakes of the team leader who has taken responsibility and made him self vulnerable..or invisible ones?

I'm certainly not a Bannan hater. He's as good a player as we have got but he does come at a cost. I suppose all players do at this level. If they didn't they would be in the Premier League.  It's all about working out which players can work together to get the best from the team unit. Blending the various strengths and weaknesses to get the best overall result.

We aren't there yet, it's not clicked. You can persevere with this system with Bannan as the Quarterback controlling the game and see if it comes good or you can change something.  Whichever you do there's a chance it won't work. Bannans most influential period was under CC when he played in a wide left role with a licence to roam rather than to hug the line. If we do that now we would have to lose one of the wingers and we've got loads of them. That's one aspect of Bannan coming at a cost.

I don't consider being able to see the strengths and weaknesses of players in any way 'hate'. I can't remember any player that I've hated,  I didn't hate Pelupessy, Palmer, Fox, Nuhiu or any of the others.

• Like 2

I would argue that bannan isn't playing deep ..he's been asked to play further up field but seems to drift deeper late in games.

I appreciate the fact he loves this club and the massive output he has had year on year..

I don't think we have played badly in anygame but Plymouth..

I'm not panicking...we just need to play like we did for the first 30mins this game for a whole game..

I want us playing front foot attacking football.

I want us building from the back.

I don't want us to freak out a few games into the season and go four four two , start hoofing it .

Drop out best player etc...

• Like 1

Interesting to see that the Bannan & Wing experiment isn’t working out so far, makes me wonder if Wing will be set for a spell on the bench whilst we look for our strongest XI.

Wing needs to get used to not being the best player in the side, it’s different to Rotherham here we have multiple players who can score & create. He isn’t going to be the first option every attack, so he needs to improve his game off the ball to fit into the side. As we all know playing a 3 man midfield with Bannan alongside another midfielder who also isn’t great defensively will cause us problems…as we saw vs Plymouth! 

I have a feeling we’ll see Bannan playing further up the pitch like he should do, whilst we leave 2 of Adeniran/Byers/Luongo or possibly Hutchinson to sit in the middle. Not how I want to see us play but I feel like that’s the safe option for DM, with Bannan pulling the strings for Oladipo/Gregory/Berahino ahead. 

Annoying that with Luongo injured again we’re almost totally reliant upon Adeniran already to be that ‘ball winner’ in the middle which is ridiculous 7 games into the season.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, flash said:

Played as a number 10 at rovrum, deep CM for us. Played under a manager with a plan at rovrum, you’d argue right now we don’t have a clue what our plan is! 

There’s a good player in there, too good for this league if we can use him right which is in that 8 / 10 position. Might mean that Bannan has to drop deeper. 

6 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

But Bannan isn't as effective when he's deep so it's about what is best for the team deep wing forward Bannan or the reverse of that. Probably worth the try playing Wing further forward.

Totally disagree, though I’m pretty much a lone voice on this matter.

Bannan is far better starting deeper. Hutch played that role yesterday and he slowed us down and played too deep.

Bannan is one of the most intelligent players we’ve had for decades. He takes up the best position for the stage of the game. For me he’s too high up right now. If we are genuinely going to be playing out from the back this season Bannan needs to start deeper.

• Love 1

9 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Urgh he did one thing yesterday just after he came on. Had the ball in the centre circle with acres of space, but passed it back to our centre back. I lost my sh*t 

He’s been cack, but then again most have 

Par for the course that a player who’s done well elsewhere suddenly turns into a pub player (or crock) at S6.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Par for the course that a player who’s done well elsewhere suddenly turns into a pub player (or crock) at S6.  

I honestly don’t get it. Different group, different management team. We’ve only had fans back for 2 mins. Why do players choke here? 

18 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

I honestly don’t get it. Different group, different management team. We’ve only had fans back for 2 mins. Why do players choke here? 

They choked last year too when the fans weren't there. OK it was largely different players but it often happens.

It's nothing to do with the fans.

So far he looks lazy and unfit. When he came on yesterday I expected him to really want to be involved in the game however it was the complete oposite, he hid from the ball whenever possible and when he did receive it passed it back. He can't tackle either and runs like he's papped his pants (Rhodes-esqe)

I have been very disappointed with him so far. 

54 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Bannan is far better starting deeper. Hutch played that role yesterday and he slowed us down and played too deep.

Bannan is one of the most intelligent players we’ve had for decades. He takes up the best position for the stage of the game. For me he’s too high up right now. If we are genuinely going to be playing out from the back this season Bannan needs to start deeper.

You've framed a solution looking for a problem.

There's no way... absolutely NO way you can make playing out from the back viable by jigging the system around one player.

I'm surprised at you.

8 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

You've framed a solution looking for a problem.

There's no way... absolutely NO way you can make playing out from the back viable by jigging the system around one player.

I'm surprised at you.

I’m no fan of playing out from the back with our current back 4, but if Moore wants to persist with it he needs Bannan as the out ball, not Hutch. 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

As has already been pointed out in numerous threads Bannan played the ball through for the penalty and the disallowed goal. That’s where we need him on the ball to be able to play those passes.

Any old CM plodder should be able to pass it between the centre backs for 10 minutes he is wasted there.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, 83owl said:

As has already been pointed out in numerous threads Bannan played the ball through for the penalty and the disallowed goal. That’s where we need him on the ball to be able to play those passes.

Any old CM plodder should be able to pass it between the centre backs for 10 minutes he is wasted there.

Playing out from the back is a tactic that involves the whole team.

You can't just have one out ball.

• Like 1