Last Season Transfer Business

What do people think, on reflection, of lasts seasons permanent contract dealings? 

I think Paterson & Windass were decent enough  signings. I think the club have (seemingly) done well to sign them without having to agree to a low release clause in the event of relegation. Being able hold out for decent money for Windass, for example, has given us a strong bargaining position now wages have been paid.  Same to a lesser degree in extending Bannan’s contract although, if reports of a £20k a week contract are true, it’s an excessive amount for a League One player.

I was a bit disappointed with Dele-Bashiru’s impact as I thought he looked decent in the early cup matches. He’s clearly got some talent (IMO) so hopefully he will press on this year. I think we signed him on a 3.5 year contract so a good season next year may see him become a high value asset. 

The only other perm signing (I think) was Andre Green. He’s probably a bit similar to FDB and has plenty still to prove. 

I think it was our loan signings that really let us down last season. We ‘swapped’ the creativity and goals of Josh Murphy for pretty much the opposite in Marriott and Brown. It could have been a different season altogether if just one of our loan players had come off in the way that Murphy & Hector did in previous seasons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WUGGAMONKEY1 said:

What do people think, on reflection, of lasts seasons permanent contract dealings? 

I think Paterson & Windass were decent enough  signings. I think the club have (seemingly) done well to sign them without having to agree to a low release clause in the event of relegation. Being able hold out for decent money for Windass, for example, has given us a strong bargaining position now wages have been paid.  Same to a lesser degree in extending Bannan’s contract although, if reports of a £20k a week contract are true, it’s an excessive amount for a League One player.

I was a bit disappointed with Dele-Bashiru’s impact as I thought he looked decent in the early cup matches. He’s clearly got some talent (IMO) so hopefully he will press on this year. I think we signed him on a 3.5 year contract so a good season next year may see him become a high value asset. 

The only other perm signing (I think) was Andre Green. He’s probably a bit similar to FDB and has plenty still to prove. 

I think it was our loan signings that really let us down last season. We ‘swapped’ the creativity and goals of Josh Murphy for pretty much the opposite in Marriott and Brown. It could have been a different season altogether if just one of our loan players had come off in the way that Murphy & Hector did in previous seasons.

For clarity, I mean the contract we were able to agree. Not the ones the couldn’t!

1 minute ago, WUGGAMONKEY1 said:

It was awful and along with the points deduction contributed massively to our relegation

The likes of Kachunga, Brown, Dunkley, Marriott, Flint, Dele-Bashiru offered virtually nothing to the season

We never addressed the issue of not having a proper strike force. This was crystal clear in the summer and became more evident in January. 

The issues are still the same this window. We need a proper strike force and we need a left back

• Like 4

We could have had the best ever transfer window ever last season and it wouldn't have mattered one bit with DC ******** around with the background stuff.

Same goes for this season really, if DC undermines everything then it doesn't matter who we bring in

10 minutes ago, WUGGAMONKEY1 said:

I like Paterson a LOT
Windass - he's ok but what IS his position? 
Dele Bashiru - need to see more of him
Green - need to see more

Be interesting to see how they do now they've been paid IF they're paid properly and supported this season by the club properly

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, BIG D said:

Kachunga

:tango:

Thing is though we mock and laugh at how had some of the signings have been but we've dropped a league since then so this season's could be way way way WAY worse

We just need to pray for some upcoming bright diamonds to come and play for us - ideally young, rapid, exciting 

Owlstalk Shop

31 minutes ago, WUGGAMONKEY1 said:

Very poor loan signings cost us big time last year.

10 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Thing is though we mock and laugh at how had some of the signings have been but we've dropped a league since then so this season's could be way way way WAY worse

We just need to pray for some upcoming bright diamonds to come and play for us - ideally young, rapid, exciting 

If you build a side around players who struggled to get into a relegation-bound side then I am sure we are all in agreement we are in a race to the bottom.

1 hour ago, fpowl said:

You think they were decent signings despite us  having playoff campaigns and then getting relegated? 

easily pleased some 

I didn’t really state whether I thought they were decent signings, or that I was pleased. I actually think Paterson and Windass weren’t bad signings at all. In the context of a 12 point deduction I think we’d have struggled to do much better. 

Also, we have two player contracted to us that are arguably worth more than what we paid for them. From that perspective I don’t think that’s OK business. I also think they performed as well as anybody last year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yeadonowl said:

It was awful and along with the points deduction contributed massively to our relegation

The likes of Kachunga, Brown, Dunkley, Marriott, Flint, Dele-Bashiru offered virtually nothing to the season

We never addressed the issue of not having a proper strike force. This was crystal clear in the summer and became more evident in January. 

The issues are still the same this window. We need a proper strike force and we need a left back

If forgotten about Dunkley & Kachunga! I think we need a proper strike force. We never replaced Fletcher with someone of a similar style - someone that could hold the ball up and play with their back to goal. 

1 minute ago, WUGGAMONKEY1 said:

If forgotten about Dunkley & Kachunga! I think we need a proper strike force. We never replaced Fletcher with someone of a similar style - someone that could hold the ball up and play with their back to goal. 

This. We got rid of Fletcher and Nuhiu and failed to replace them. We lacked someone who could hold the ball up and link play.

Paterson is ok but we didn’t have a clue where his best position was. Same for Windass who only really kicked on under Moore. And then Kachunga. Christ. We signed three strikers but none are what we needed.

Awful recruitment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I like Paterson a LOT
Green - need to see more

Be interesting to see how they do now they've been paid IF they're paid properly and supported this season by the club properly

Hopefully with a settled manager, no worries about late wages and a bit of confidence we will see a better side. 

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I like Paterson a LOT
Green - need to see more

I like Paterson, but more as an attacking midfield. Windass is either a wide player in a 3 or maybe a CF if he has target man next to him IMO.