Breach of Player Contracts

If reports that the players haven’t been in full for the last two months are true, is there a point whereby the players can leave the club for free due to their contracts being breached?

I seem to remember Chris O’Grady leaving Rotherham under similar circumstances ages ago. Maybe after 3 months of non-payment? 

Guest LondonOwl313

Should just pay Bannan, Iorfa and Windass. The rest can all leave for free anyway as they’re either out of contract or useless 

4 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Should just pay Bannan, Iorfa and Windass. The rest can all leave for free anyway as they’re either out of contract or useless 

I was wondering whether DC has been selective about which players he had been paying. It would be a total shambles if the players you have names could walk for free.

14 minutes ago, WUGGAMONKEY1 said:

If reports that the players haven’t been in full for the last two months are true, is there a point whereby the players can leave the club for free due to their contracts being breached?

I seem to remember Chris O’Grady leaving Rotherham under similar circumstances ages ago. Maybe after 3 months of non-payment? 

We can only hope....

The impact of late wages to players is still significant, however, as one former Wednesday player recalls: “I know people sit there and say these players are earning thousands of pounds every week, but everything’s relative.

They’ll have £1 million houses, because they can, and their mortgages will be high. So they still risk defaulting.

There were five or six of us who were paid on time. Anyone paid over a certain level didn’t get paid on time. That affected people. It really did.

“I was walking into the training ground complex, through the car park and one of the staff members turned around to me and asked if I’d checked my bank account that morning, ‘Have you been paid?’ I checked and I had, but loads hadn’t.

We were due to travel down to London for a game, so you had players that morning, a Friday, saying they weren’t going to travel until they were told what was going on with the money they were owed. It was a shambles.”

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

From what’s now coming out, lower paid players were getting paid, high earners partly paid, with the balance following on later, but no proper communications with the players about when they would get the balance, or notification in advance that they wouldn’t get paid in full.

It's bad not to pay peoples wages, worse not to tell them in advance. People get frustrated if they don't know what's going on.

Having said that, the standard of performance has been below the minimum expected of players. I can accept they might lose their edge against top sides and even middle of the table teams but the absolutely shocking performances we have seen against bottom of the table teams is not excusable.

Just one win instead of a loss against the dregs of the league and we would have stayed up. It almost makes you think they deliberately wanted to send us down to make a point.

• Like 1

To be fair the way our players played this season they really don't deserve to get paid.  If I did my job as badly as they did theirs then they would not get paid...

Imagine a roofer who had missed a load of tiles and at the end of the day the roof leaked...  Would you pay that roofer for your new roof?

• Haha 1

Just can’t believe that things can get worse........then you here more and more? No wonder half of players ain’t really looked bothered? Now I fully understand the argument for them giving their all and do they should for the amounts they get paid but let’s be honest how many of us if going into work and not getting paid correctly would give 100% ? If you know the firms going under and your likely to be out of your job you wouldn’t be bothered would you? Every season the car crash gets worse . Just hope dc decides to sell up cus unfortunately we’ve probably not bottomed out yet .

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

To be fair the way our players played this season they really don't deserve to get paid.  If I did my job as badly as they did theirs then they would not get paid...

Imagine a roofer who had missed a load of tiles and at the end of the day the roof leaked...  Would you pay that roofer for your new roof?

You would be sacked the problem is you can’t with these mercenaries 

11 minutes ago, catdog1121 said:

what if the way they played what due to the fact that they hadn’t been paid?

Would you give your all laying a load of roof tiles knowing you weren’t getting paid for it? Or would you give minimum effort, not rush into work, take extended breaks, leave a bit early? 

• Thanks 1

Guest Hornsby

Those not fully paid can leave anytime they want.

Joshs Dad touting for a new club last week for his son.

11 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Those not fully paid can leave anytime they want.

Joshs Dad touting for a new club last week for his son.

He may well have been touting for a new club, and hopefully so , because truth be told he’s not very good 

But I doubt they can leave as easily as you suggest 

Guest Hornsby
7 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

He may well have been touting for a new club, and hopefully so , because truth be told he’s not very good 

But I doubt they can leave as easily as you suggest 

Wanna bet, if he s not fully paid.

1 hour ago, WUGGAMONKEY1 said:

Quite possibly. It's down to the player whether he wants to remain or leave. It's Swexit.