Social Media Boycott Tomorrow

14 hours ago, McRightSide said:

I know, and I appreciate it.

Would love to see Owlstalk follow the lead of the clubs. 

I've seen plenty of questionable stuff around race on here. 

Might make Saturday afternoon a bit more uplifting too.

Do you? Very, very unfair comment to make. If you know and appreciate racism isn't tolerated on here then why post this nonsense in the first place?

Guest Hornsby
20 minutes ago, One De Bilde said:

Do you? Very, very unfair comment to make. If you know and appreciate racism isn't tolerated on here then why post this nonsense in the first place?

Not me. Seen the rare odd comment where poster is so dumb doesnt even know it is racist what he is saying.

About Nigerian fraudsters, for example, as though Enron, Libor 11, Maddoff and Parmalat were all hatched in Lagos.

Just now, whowantstoberich said:

Wish they would stick to focusing on football.

Think the argument would be it’s hard to ‘focus on football’ when you get home from a game to find you’ve been abused by some randomer, who won’t suffer any consequences, on social media. 

Guest whowantstoberich
2 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

Think the argument would be it’s hard to ‘focus on football’ when you get home from a game to find you’ve been abused by some randomer, who won’t suffer any consequences, on social media. 

You get what you focus on. Why after a match is the first thing you want to do login and look what a random person has wrote online?

They can block comments from anyone who isn't a friend online, its that simple. Failing that they can come off it or have a personal family & friends account only. 

Edited by whowantstoberich

To be honest, in recent times i've pretty much boycotted it anyway.

Once in a while i'll go look, then may post something even less frequently.

I just think I'm so out of alignment with social media that it's not in my best interests to spend much time on there anymore.

Might sign up for TikTok tomorrow though, I need to know what why my kid is saying "corvette corvette" all the time.   It's putting me about.

20 hours ago, One De Bilde said:

Because it doesn’t mean it doesn’t get posted.

In a nation whereby a sizeable portion of its people openly support the inflaming, divisive rhetoric of Nigel Farage and Tommy Robinson are we at all supposed to be surprised that racism is still abundant in this country?

Guest Therealrealist
47 minutes ago, owls66 said:

In a nation whereby a sizeable portion of its people openly support the inflaming, divisive rhetoric of Nigel Farage and Tommy Robinson are we at all supposed to be surprised that racism is still abundant in this country?

You still crying about brexit? 😂

17 hours ago, whowantstoberich said:

You get what you focus on. Why after a match is the first thing you want to do login and look what a random person has wrote online?

They can block comments from anyone who isn't a friend online, its that simple. Failing that they can come off it or have a personal family & friends account only. 

You’re missing the point.

People still post abuse whether the player is on it or not. 

The player (or person, it doesn’t have to be a footballer or even a celebrity — this affects normal people too) can still see, or be told of, or their family might see or be told of, the abuse. Or work colleagues, or anyone that knows that person. It comes round to you and can seriously affect your life whether you actively use it or not.

The root cause needs tackling, not the people who are targeted by it. Why should someone have to cease using something they might generally like and find useful (when the abuse isn’t happening) because other people are abusive of it? Saying ‘well just don’t read it then’ is a ridiculous and ignorant argument akin to ‘telling women don’t wear short dresses and you won’t get raped’. The abusers should be dealt with and the victims of the abuse shouldn’t be the ones who have to change their behaviour because of it.

Abuse is abuse and the platforms do nothing (or very little) about it currently — they are unmoderated and allow those kind of comments. I’ve seen it. I’ve seen the effects it has on players (there is at least one senior player I know of at Wednesday currently who suffers really badly with their mental health). It is mentally affecting and it is wrong.

The blackout is to highlight that and to try to make the platforms more responsible or properly moderated, or maybe even for governments to legislate on it.

I was on Facebook for over 10 years came off it a  bout last September.

Sadly i missed it for about 2/3 weeks.

But now i just laughto mi sen, at all the bitching and moaning about so n so on facebook Instagram, doing this n that when should be at work but he/she on holiday etc etc 

Bin it it if it winds you up.

Simple

UTO 

Guest Therealrealist

Anybody affected by it yet...missing all the none entities who are not posting owt?..nah dint think so

On 29/04/2021 at 20:02, sMacLean said:

The big platforms that silence conservative views wanting to champion equality and diversity. Not for me thanks. 

Exactly I'm not a conservative but I understand social media's answer to no racism is to ban "keywords", which actually prevents people being able to talk/debate about issues or topics, which would be fine if 99% of people didn't also use social media for educational information

On 01/05/2021 at 09:07, McRightSide said:

Because it doesn’t mean it doesn’t get posted.

Sorry but your posts in this thread have angered me

We don't have racism on the site

We don't tolerate it

We deal with it the very second we see anything or it's reported

It's EXTREMELY rare on here because people know we don't tolerate racists or racism in any way whatsoever

When it's reported or we see it we deal with it

So your continued posts that you see loads of racist stuff on here is just not accurate.

You dont.

Because it doesn't happen. 

But to keep posting about it (which insinuates there is loads of racism on here) even after you have admitted that we deal with anything the second we see it is just completely unacceptable and unfair

Owlstalk Shop