The European Superleague Plan highlights a problem at Sheffield Wednesday

4 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Its actually cheaper to fly to Borussia Dortmund and watch a game there (and you can have a drink and stand up on the terrace) than it is to travel to watch any of the "Big six games" in our own country ....

I'd mention Schalke.... but after last nights relegation...i can say nowt ! lol

• Haha 1

Football is easy assemble now 

Can watch it on your phone, tablet, pc, TV, streams, YouTube, ifollow 

Would a kid rather watch Messi, Ronaldo, mbappe for 30 quid a month or watch Barry Bannan, Sam Hutchinson, Tom Lees for 35 quid 

1 hour ago, Ray Von shabba said:

Totally agree.

Pogba being talked about demanding £800k a week and with all ad ons, nearing £1m a week.

Absolutely obscene.

It is but......

If the club are willing to pay vast amounts of money to a player they must think there is more money to be made from the success such a player can bring.

The Super League was about 1 thing above all else, MONEY. That's what motivates the owners at the highest level,  if they will pay £1m per week to a kid who is the best at what he does, they are only doing so to stay or become the top club and reap the rewards that brings. At the very top of every sport the dividing line between success and failure is very fine. You can only have 11 players on the pitch so they need to be the best. Just a tiny bit better might make all the difference so you pay massive wages to the very best guy and he's actually worth it to you from a financial point of view.

The trouble is the wages of the next guy down gets dragged up as well, and the next guy. It goes right down to our level where players who are ordinary get paid a fortune in our terms.

If the Superleague had gone ahead players wages would have taken another step upwards at the elite level.

I'm conflicted, I don't like the fantastic wages paid at the very top but I'd rather those players have it than some fat rich bloke who is scheming how to make his next few billion out of ruining our sport.

At the end of the day until owners stop chasing wages higher and fans stop egging them on, nothing will change. The rot started with Sky. While we pay them to watch their output things won't change. While we pay extortionate ticket prices things won't change.

Guest The Claw

owls in the park - how many other clubs do similar? this should have been built on, pre match entertainment etc. cheaper fikin beer than Hillsborough club, a club room for customers on the kop instead of standing outside in the fikin cold and rain, some decent beer in the wendy tap would help and queueing outside for hrs cos its bloody too small ffs

8 hours ago, vulva said:

Wage cap is the only thing that will save the game. Unless that gets dealt with, everything else is irrelevant. 

Agree, but also alonside lowering of ticket prices./TV deals etc - the general ridiculously high cost of football.  As Agnelli pointed out - football is dying for the younder generation.  It is nothign to do with games being too long and all other reasons he gave.  Yes there is more competition for youngerst time and attention that ever before from other sports/gaming etc, but more important than any of that is the cost.  Too many are priced out and don't fall in love with the game.   More games needed on free to air, match of day on much earlier so kids can watch it - there should be minimum requirements laid down when TV rights auctioned that serve the games best interests - not just the top clubs/top leagues.   I can't see any of that happening without legislation and regulation, there is far too much vested interest in positions of power.  Not sure even with government support its ever likely to happen.  It is would also be virtually impossible to implement change to a cheaper cost base with so many contacts in place across all different aspects of teh game, of lots of varying lengths.

I'd love to see a single cap per division, regardless of turnover, relegation allowances stc - so its a proper level playing field.  Bigger clubs with more turnover have advantage of large crowds, better facilities etc but everyone would have a fair chance to compete on sporting merit.  Pie in the sky though

5 minutes ago, AsioOtus said:

Agree, but also alonside lowering of ticket prices./TV deals etc - the general ridiculously high cost of football.  As Agnelli pointed out - football is dying for the younder generation.  It is nothign to do with games being too long and all other reasons he gave.  Yes there is more competition for youngerst time and attention that ever before from other sports/gaming etc, but more important than any of that is the cost.  Too many are priced out and don't fall in love with the game.   More games needed on free to air, match of day on much earlier so kids can watch it - there should be minimum requirements laid down when TV rights auctioned that serve the games best interests - not just the top clubs/top leagues.   I can't see any of that happening without legislation and regulation, there is far too much vested interest in positions of power.  Not sure even with government support its ever likely to happen.  It is would also be virtually impossible to implement change to a cheaper cost base with so many contacts in place across all different aspects of teh game, of lots of varying lengths.

I'd love to see a single cap per division, regardless of turnover, relegation allowances stc - so its a proper level playing field.  Bigger clubs with more turnover have advantage of large crowds, better facilities etc but everyone would have a fair chance to compete on sporting merit.  Pie in the sky though

I’ve never had a problem with the very top players earning the very top money. My issue is players at a lower level, earning 2m and 3m a year. It’s outrageous. People criticize and attack FFP, but it was brought in to semi regulate the financial side of the game and make it fairer. Ironic now that fans are screaming for this, yet still won’t back FFP. 

• Like 3

Guest Grandad
3 hours ago, The Claw said:

owls in the park - how many other clubs do similar? this should have been built on, pre match entertainment etc. cheaper fikin beer than Hillsborough club, a club room for customers on the kop instead of standing outside in the fikin cold and rain, some decent beer in the wendy tap would help and queueing outside for hrs cos its bloody too small ffs

You mean the metal railings into the old main stand car park with a portakabin at each end - and no roof - isn't enough for you?

You're everything thats wrong about SWFC. So demanding

15 minutes ago, BIG D said:

We were half decent at the time though and I’m guessing Utd were League 1?

no idea who their player is. 

When Chansiri took over, tickets were £9. I believe that pic would have been taken during Sheffield United's promotion campaign from League One. The 66% increase was a bit steep, but I guess it mirrored the POTG price increase so fair enough.

It was, however, chuffing embarrassing to see Dem Blades charge nine quid upon their promotion when we were charging £15. I believe at some point we also subsequently started charging £18, while they kept it at £9 throughout their two Championship campaigns. Subsequently, we stopped advertising these reduced tickets during United's promotion season. They were still available, but very very rarely, and any advertising sharing that fact was NOWHERE to be seen.

I'll keep saying what I've been saying for years when threads like this pop up: I completely understand why fans don't give two hoots if greasy students don't get farcically cheap tickets, and I'm not arguing either way on whether we should be doing it. But it reads exactly like every other symptom that's leaked out of the club over the last five years, and it was chuffing embarrassing seeing any advertisement for our double-priced student tickets fade away while Dem Blades only increased. Especially when you consider Uni of Sheffield is traditionally Wednesday.

Edited by StudentOwl

Guest Mcguigan
27 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I rest my case your honour

Do many students actually want to attend a Championship match that doesn’t even involve the club they probably support?

These will be 18 y/o + lads who will have their own clubs, if they’re into football at all, and will have little to no interest in attending games.

My eldest is at Nottingham, he’s a Leeds fan from his mother’s side, his mates are from all over the country. They’ve never attended a Forest game unless it happened to involve their team.

14 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Do many students actually want to attend a Championship match that doesn’t even involve the club they probably support?

These will be 18 y/o + lads who will have their own clubs, if they’re into football at all, and will have little to no interest in attending games.

My eldest is at Nottingham, he’s a Leeds fan from his mother’s side, his mates are from all over the country. They’ve never attended a Forest game unless it happened to involve their team.

It's a fair question

I'd ask back - why bother advertising and trying to attract them if that is the case. Surely there's a market there for students wanting live football in their lives?

Owlstalk Shop

26 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Hi, nice to meet ya

Far too many distractions for youngsters nowadays. Football doesn't do anything to encourage them into grounds. I remember when Sam Hamman was Wimbledon chairman every home game he used to send out 4000 free tickets to schools in the area. He figured that the majority of those  kids would buy drinks foods sweets etc giving revenue to the club they wouldn't otherwise have and that the law of averages dictated some would really take to it and become regular supporters. Apart from the odd kid for a quid game clubs really do sod all to attract the next generation.

I have two sons and they first went to a game in 2016 vs Hull. 

Youngest one not interested in football so has hardly been since. 

Took my eldest to many games since and have had seasons tickets even though we didn't go to all games, he's been very lucky he's never seen us lose a league game at Hillsborough unless it was on TV. 

The problem is I live near Cambridge most of the time due to work and then in Lincoln when I'm it not there over the last few years he's been to many games for them as enyoyed their success has a season ticket for them too so he can now go with his mates lock down lifted. 

The sheer cost of our season tickets plus travel etc makes it very expensive to justify paying the prices for league one football especially when compared with Lincoln prices. 

Football has killed itself with the amount of money paid out in wages. 

• Like 1

I’ve never seen the value in student tickets, and discounts. I went to Hull and watched Hull a few times when Wednesday were playing far away, but have no attachment to the place or club. Football fans with longevity in the game will always revert back to their own club, and Universities are now full of foreign students who support Man U or Liverpool. 

9 hours ago, Manwë said:

The cost to upgrade Hillsborough for the WC, which included removing all pillars on the Kop, increasing corporate hospitality, ridding Hillsborough of the disaster stand (which has numerous pillars), and increasing capacity to a genuine and safe 44000 (not relevant at the moment) was £23m.  The redevelopment would have lasted 25+ years at least.

I remember that but always thought £23m was a totally unrealistic figure to do the work listed in the plans.

To put it into context, part of United’s plans at the same time included extending the South Stand and that alone was costed at £20m.

I'm fighting like mad against it, but my young un is wavering more towards his granddad's team (L**ds) 

If it wasn't for them being L**ds I'd probably not be as bothered, but to be fair, apart from being universally known as scum, they play more attractive football in a higher league. 

Next door neighbour is a Wednesdayite with 3 lads who all used to go to Hillsborough. One of em now isn't bothered about anything if it isn't on his xbox, another has started going to Barnsley with his cousin, and another follows Man City, who by the way charge less for European games than Wednesday do for league games.