BREAKING - Sheffield Wednesday under ANOTHER transfer embargo

Guest Grandad
4 minutes ago, Sheff74 said:

Aren't our accounts due in July though?  I thought the extension to the reporting period that was granted 2 seasons ago has become permanent?

So on that basis, would the EFL have seen a draft of ours yet?

No our accounts are due at the end of this month

image.png.cbc7889ab910de7b09cdf145dd34a196.png

4 minutes ago, Sheff74 said:

Aren't our accounts due in July though?  I thought the extension to the reporting period that was granted 2 seasons ago has become permanent?

So on that basis, would the EFL have seen a draft of ours yet?

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

People have said this for years, yet the only club who has gone under is Bury.

It actually works. The only issue I have with it is the unfair advantage it gives clubs with parachute payments.

Were loads of clubs going bust and going into admin before these rules were introduced? 

Guest Grandad
6 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You can choose when your accounting year end date is. Most companies choose either the end of March/April to align to the financial tax year or the end of the calendar year. Some choose just to have a year-end around the month they were incorporated, some choose other reasons. Many football clubs have accounting year ends in May to align with the end of the football season.  

^^ This

Our financial year always ended in May for years and years and years

It was only extended in 2019 to take in a financial year of July 31st

image.png.089ab1942c71357ef15a0e0e62a38304.png

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

Well, neither do I... but that's not the EFL's fault is more my point.

We have an embargo on a technicality, big whoop, I have zero concern because we should get out of it providing we maintain best practice. Any anger towards the EFL due to fear that we won't get out of it is misplaced... (as per)

There is justified anger towards the EFL because 10 clubs are apparently under sanction due to their rules but they don't confirm or clarify any of it to the people who are supposedly the most important - the fans. 

As you say, the embargo is seemingly a technicality if it is cleared before the transfer window opens - so what is the point in having a rule by which a club can be placed under a transfer embargo at a time when they cannot make transfers anyway?

Bit of a farce. 

Guest Grandad
4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

There is justified anger towards the EFL because 10 clubs are apparently under sanction due to their rules but they don't confirm or clarify any of it to the people who are supposedly the most important - the fans. 

As you say, the embargo is seemingly a technicality if it is cleared before the transfer window opens - so what is the point in having a rule by which a club can be placed under a transfer embargo at a time when they cannot make transfers anyway?

Bit of a farce. 

But the EFL didn't leak this

The Mail did

Just now, Grandad said:

But the EFL didn't leak this

The Mail did

I'm not concerned with who leaked it. The EFL have a website and they set the rules. They post news daily on their website. Once they have confirmed to a club that they are putting them under an embargo they should publish the details on their website.

I very much doubt that today is the first time that Coventry, Luton and any of the other clubs became aware that they were under an embargo but they have only put statements out to react to the news being leaked. The clubs should be more transparent but we don't expect this as many don't like to publish bad news and despite the 'stringent' tests that the EFL & FA carry out into 'fit and proper' owners, some will hide bad news. 

Ask the EFL who are the most important people in the game and they will say the fans - lifeblood, can't survive without them, blah blah, blah. Not important enough to be told about rules being applied that directly impact the running of their club and player recruitment though. 

5 minutes ago, nbupperthongowl said:

And who told the mail??? One of the 10 clubs?

Coventry put a statement out, bemoning the situation, imagine some digging then went on.

I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

Edited by Maddogbob

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

I'm not concerned with who leaked it. The EFL have a website and they set the rules. They post news daily on their website. Once they have confirmed to a club that they are putting them under an embargo they should publish the details on their website.

I very much doubt that today is the first time that Coventry, Luton and any of the other clubs became aware that they were under an embargo but they have only put statements out to react to the news being leaked. The clubs should be more transparent but we don't expect this as many don't like to publish bad news and despite the 'stringent' tests that the EFL & FA carry out into 'fit and proper' owners, some will hide bad news. 

Ask the EFL who are the most important people in the game and they will say the fans - lifeblood, can't survive without them, blah blah, blah. Not important enough to be told about rules being applied that directly impact the running of their club and player recruitment though. 

Who is most important to the EFL.....that would be the EFL!!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Who cares whether we’re under an embargo now, as long as it’s lifted before the window reopens. We weren’t going to be spending money anyway, so with plenty of big earners going, there will be funds to replace them with frees and loanees. 

As the article alludes to, some took the ban early so it will not impact on signings for next season.

Obviously headline is not good but, will still allow us players for next season.

With the amount of players leaving, we will probably be allowed to add freebies to make up our squad to the minimum level of senior players - is it 17?

That's in the unlikely event we stay in the champ and are subject to these rules next season. 

Tempting to think would we be better off going down and starting again without FFP restrictions in League 1. 

What's clear is that DC needs to take the rebuild away from Paxaio and give control to the manager. 

Guest Grandad
5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

But the rules around FFP are that the EFL arent allowed to make a statement to say who is under an embargo

And I'd be willing to bet a £ZILLION that the clubs won't vote to change that.

Look at Wednesday as a perfect example. As a club we sold a sh*tload of season tickets without telling the fans we were under an embargo severely restricting our capability to bring in the kind of players we were promised our exorbitant ST pricing would pay for. I can't see us ever voting to change that rule

1 minute ago, Grandad said:

But the rules around FFP are that the EFL arent allowed to make a statement to say who is under an embargo

And I'd be willing to bet a £ZILLION that the clubs won't vote to change that.

Look at Wednesday as a perfect example. As a club we sold a sh*tload of season tickets without telling the fans we were under an embargo severely restricting our capability to bring in the kind of players we were promised our exorbitant ST pricing would pay for. I can't see us ever voting to change that rule

Exactly!

Those are the kind of rules that shouldn't be put to a vote for clubs to decide upon. Not telling fans that your club is under an embargo so you can sell a picture that is never a reality. 

6 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

If this wasn't leaked, there is no way chansiri would have informed supporters. He would have kept it quiet. 

Seems likely to have been the same with all 10 clubs.