Izzy Brown

2 hours ago, Bluesteel said:

Was pleased we signed him under the -12 circumstances. But the warning signs were there given a lack of starts at Luton. The balance between having clear ability and getting him playing regularly the puzzle to be solved.

I could see likenesses to him and Mcgugan when he first played here. But I didn’t mean the strolling about!

I think mcgugan was one of those that needed to feel special, the main man playing in his preferred position as it were.

When we got him on loan under SG, he was he was our main central midfield creative outlet. He was running box to box, getting some goals and most good thing we did came through him. 

Then we unceremoniously dump SG when he signs permanent. Carlos gets given better creative players than we had including Nando and wants him to play wide right or as a number 10 behind the forward. He probably just spat his dummy out, as he found himself in a similar situation as he'd been at Watford. 

11 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

I think mcgugan was one of those that needed to feel special, the main man playing in his preferred position as it were.

When we got him on loan under SG, he was he was our main central midfield creative outlet. He was running box to box, getting some goals and most good thing we did came through him. 

Then we unceremoniously dump SG when he signs permanent. Carlos gets given better creative players than we had including Nando and wants him to play wide right or as a number 10 behind the forward. He probably just spat his dummy out, as he found himself in a similar situation as he'd been at Watford. 

I spoke to one of McGugan's close friends a few years ago and he basically said that his heart's not really in it and he's always had a problem with those in authority. He reckoned he'd fallen out with pretty much every coach he'd ever had, dating back to his days as a kid in Long Eaton.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I spoke to one of McGugan's close friends a few years ago and he basically said that his heart's not really in it and he's always had a problem with those in authority. He reckoned he'd fallen out with pretty much every coach he'd ever had, dating back to his days as a kid in Long Eaton.

It would make sense as to how his career kept nose diving at clubs. 

Though he must have got on well with old Stu becouse he managed to get him firing. I still remember that cracking 45 yard lob over I think it was pickford while at Preston.

Then again SGs main skill was man managing players,he never had a problem with the so called trouble makers hutch and Westwood unlike almost every manager we've had since Carlos. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Philb125 said:

I’ll not judge any attacking player on what they’ve achieved or not achieved with us this season. They’ve hardly been given a platform to shine have they? I’m sure like many of this group, he’ll do just fine next season. 

It's not our fault that he has never made more than 17 starts in a season for anyone in his career to date.

Getting sent off in an academy game after getting too wound-up by a 17 year old shows where he is at.  

22 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

It's not our fault that he has never made more than 17 starts in a season for anyone in his career to date.

Getting sent off in an academy game after getting too wound-up by a 17 year old shows where he is at.  

I don’t know much about him getting sent off but what I will say is once the fan base have made your mind up you’re damned of you do or damned if you don’t. Show no passion, emotion or care and you’ve sacked it off, just going through motions etc etc. 

Get sent off after letting emotions get best of you, caring too much etc etc and you get this. 

I’d hamper a guess that next season he finds another club in championship. Plays a good chunk of games and we’re sat scratching our heads wondering why we didn’t get the best out of another player. 

2 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

I don’t know much about him getting sent off but what I will say is once the fan base have made your mind up you’re damned of you do or damned if you don’t. Show no passion, emotion or care and you’ve sacked it off, just going through motions etc etc. 

Get sent off after letting emotions get best of you, caring too much etc etc and you get this. 

I’d hamper a guess that next season he finds another club in championship. Plays a good chunk of games and we’re sat scratching our heads wondering why we didn’t get the best out of another player. 

Getting sent off with 6 minutes to go of an under 23 game when already 3-0 down is probably not the best way to show you care too much or manage your emotions.

If he plays 'a chunk of games' IE, more than 17 in the same season, it will be the first time in his career. 

Far better ways of spending £25K per week. 

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Getting sent off with 6 minutes to go of an under 23 game when already 3-0 down is probably not the best way to show you care too much or manage your emotions.

If he plays 'a chunk of games' IE, more than 17 in the same season, it will be the first time in his career. 

Far better ways of spending £25K per week. 

I’d be very shocked if we’re paying anywhere near that for him. I’m not here to support him, just feel many on here just keep banging same drum once they’ve heard the tune a few times. 

Anyhow, I’m sure he’ll be around after us and we’ll be around after him. Hopefully both are doing better than this season. 

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

You’re right on fans making their minds up....however, until that corner against Rotherham, fans were crying out for Brown to play and he was getting waaay more support than the average player who’s done sweet FA here. 

So I’m not sure this applies to Brown. Fans have NOW made their minds up based on some utter stupidity from him & realising that he’s had four managers this season and none of them fancied him much. 

Of course he’s talented. Otherwise he wouldn’t have been signed by Chelsea at 16. And I’m sure he’ll get another championship club next season. And I hope it works out for him. But to fulfil even close to his potential he’ll need an attitude change & some luck with injuries.

• Like 1

Guest wilyfox

Still waiting for Izzy to turn up. Maybe he’s stuck in a D-taxi.

When you bring a player in from Chelsea in his 20s, you expect his quality to show - like Hector.

My disappointment in Brown is on a par with Onomah when he came from Spurs.

Guest whowantstoberich

Worst player in years signed by monk - worst manager in years. Both have contributed hugely to our upcoming relegation 

8 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

I think there is a bit of that, but Mcgugan signed after Gray left and scored in that friendly at York and on his debut at home to Bristol C. In fact he scored a few that season. Including a great one away at Newcastle and some at Shrewsbury and wolves.

But as you say he did need to play as an individual whereas CC wanted the team to play high intensity possession football and then close down in packs and with discipline. Mcgugan preferred to play the game at his own pace and was good enough to do it but it wasn’t what that team was about. 

There was something else though as when he left here he didn’t get a deal at Northampton either and he was clearly good enough 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

Though he must have got on well with old Stu becouse he managed to get him firing. I still remember that cracking 45 yard lob over I think it was pickford while at Preston.

Then again SGs main skill was man managing players,he never had a problem with the so called trouble makers hutch and Westwood unlike almost every manager we've had since Carlos. 

He was brilliant at getting the best out of players SG. Remember Drenthe coming here, overweight and not bothered at Reading yet came here lost weight and put in a real shift every time he played. That was down to Gray. Think it was Kirkland who said he was better than the top coaches hed worked with at man management. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Still waiting for Izzy to turn up. Maybe he’s stuck in a D-taxi.

When you bring a player in from Chelsea in his 20s, you expect his quality to show - like Hector.

My disappointment in Brown is on a par with Onomah when he came from Spurs.

Onomah was better than Brown. And thats saying something !

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

He was brilliant at getting the best out of players SG. Remember Drenthe coming here, overweight and not bothered at Reading yet came here lost weight and put in a real shift every time he played. That was down to Gray. Think it was Kirkland who said he was better than the top coaches hed worked with at man management. 

Stuart Gray painfully underrated coach. The brains behind Parker’s relative success at Fulham. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

I totally agree, he was very good at getting a tune out of players others struggled to. 

Just take a minute to imagine where we might be now... If when we originally decided on a director of football which was originally going to be Carlos job and head coach, we chased that guy Cooper who wouldn't join us. If instead we'd have persuaded SG to stay as head coach with Carlos in the model Dc wanted when he first came in. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
20 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

You do realize that it was Carlos who was in charge for the Preston game right?

4 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

You do realize that it was Carlos who was in charge for the Preston game right?

Yes, but it was also whilst Carlos was in charge he lost interest. We were talking about how good a man manager SG was, and how he managed to get a full season of effort out of the lad.