ROI though

35 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Their squad isn't significantly different to the one which Mick McCarthy managed to get to the Euro 2020 play-offs. He managed 10 games, won 5, lost 1.  They sacked him off, some considered him to be a dinosaur. They haven't won since. 

True and it was a great achievement but the warning signs were already there I reckon. They won 3 games in that group stage under McCarthy and 2 of those were against Gibraltar. The away fixture a tight 1-0 win and the home fixture was a nervy 2-0 win after a late injury time goal and the first was an own goal.

I agree I think they were wrong to get rid of McCarthy, he did a decent job, and they were especially daft to replace him with Kenny but they’ve been pish for a few years now IMO. I know what a pish team looks like as a Scotland fan lol

• Like 1

The big difference between Kenny and O'Neill 's football is Kenny's team TRIES to pass on the ground whereas O'Neill was 90% hoofball.  The squad has been ripped asunder by injuries ,covid ,players not in club's first teams,  disproportionally. Not an excuse just factual . It's no good either if possession football leads to only one or two shots at goal over 90 mins.(sound familiar?:ph34r:). Hopefully some of the younger players will develop together  and make the nucleus of a better team.

I'm not sure whether the shadow of the former CEO John Delaney , whose financial dealings were completely out of control and possibly criminal, filters down to the  senior squad and management at this juncture. There will be court proceedings at some stage. Investigations ongoing. By the way he is currently dressed up as a business consultant in London. Beware.

PS Luxembourg no longer butchers ,bakers etc .look up their clubs.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wexowl said:

The big difference between Kenny and O'Neill 's football is Kenny's team TRIES to pass on the ground whereas O'Neill was 90% hoofball.  The squad has been ripped asunder by injuries ,covid ,players not in club's first teams,  disproportionally. Not an excuse just factual . It's no good either if possession football leads to only one or two shots at goal over 90 mins.(sound familiar?:ph34r:). Hopefully some of the younger players will develop together  and make the nucleus of a better team.

I'm not sure whether the shadow of the former CEO John Delaney , whose financial dealings were completely out of control and possibly criminal, filters down to the  senior squad and management at this juncture. There will be court proceedings at some stage. Investigations ongoing. By the way he is currently dressed up as a business consultant in London. Beware.

PS Luxembourg no longer butchers ,bakers etc .look up their clubs.

Wow, I know it sounds patronising, but they are some decent teams that the Luxembourg teams play for. 

Dynamo Kyiv, Mainz, Standard Liege and a few from Bundesliga 2. Thought they would be lower French and German leagues. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, helmut_rooster said:

Qatar 1

Ireland 1

lol

Saw Keith Andrews got booked during the game last night. Guess he is finding coaching a tad more difficult than talking about tactics, I think he came across as a bit of a smug know all when covering the Championship on SKY. 

2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Saw Keith Andrews got booked during the game last night. Guess he is finding coaching a tad more difficult than talking about tactics, I think he came across as a bit of a smug know all when covering the Championship on SKY. 

Same on the Sky bit, I always got the impression he didn't like us too.

23 hours ago, wexowl said:

It's all very well and good wanting to play nice, passing football, but you're wasting your time if you've got a bunch of cloggers.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SiJ said:

It's all very well and good wanting to play nice, passing football, but you're wasting your time if you've got a bunch of cloggers.

Spot on. Their squad is average throughout. Other than Seamus Coleman at right back there isn’t a single player in their squad I would want in the Scotland XI and we’re not exactly a top team either. That’s telling and shows where they are at present.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Spot on. Their squad is average throughout. Other than Seamus Coleman at right back there isn’t a single player in their squad I would want in the Scotland XI and we’re not exactly a top team either. That’s telling and shows where they are at present.

Just had a look at their recent squads and I'd agree with you, not much to pick from at all. In saying that, it's not like they have had a full team retire in the past year, McCarthy got better results and more effective performances because he knew there would be no point trying to play like Man City and played to the strengths of what he had to work with.