Jordan Rhodes

2 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

What does his wages have to do with anything? We have to pay them just the same if he's sat on the bench. Typically stupid comment I expect on here. As OP said. Scored, covered back well and drew fouls on the way forward giving us possession and relieving pressure. We had one attack after he had gone off where we actually put a good cross in but nobody was in there to meet it. All that matters is which players are most likely to keep us up. Him, Westwood and Hutch are key whether people like it or not. History is irrelevant the next 11 games aren't.

You're the third person I've seen mention that Rhodes 'drew fouls' in yesterday's game, as if it was a major aspect of his game.

How many times do you think he was fouled yesterday?

5 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

Proved his critics wrong again yesterday, played the lone front man well. Kept possession, drew fouls, SCORED.

I fear he will be dropped if he doesn’t score in the next game though.

"again"

I think that's pushing it somewhat. Plus he looked absolutely done in by half time and he was done within 10 minutes of the restart. 

Cracking touch and finish for the goal though. He's never been a lone striker though. And keeping him on for next season in league one would be utter madness considering his wages. One of the worst value signing's in the clubs history. Also, don't buy the if he'd played more games he'd have score more goals diatribe either. Not a single manager in the past 6 seasons has fully believed in him to be the key striker. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

Proved his critics wrong again yesterday, played the lone front man well. Kept possession, drew fouls, SCORED.

I fear he will be dropped if he doesn’t score in the next game though.

TBF  he did....but i dont see the one up front as either attractive football(didnt Chansiri say he wanted 2 up front?) Neither Patterson or Windass,are not a natural no 9,and simply dont have the instincts to score the goals we need.

Centre forwards need the three up front to get the service they need,and the crosses into the box they thrive on...

Guest T Hardy
2 hours ago, Lunny1968 said:

Ah the Jordan Rhodes fan club strikes again.  15 goals £8m fee £35k per week. What a magnificent return!

They all broke a bit yesterday, seeing as he scored playing as a lone striker. They’ve been banging on for months that he needs to play up front with someone, which explains the delay in “the look he just needs the service” thread that usually instantly follows every goal

5 minutes ago, 0742 said:

"again"

I think that's pushing it somewhat. Plus he looked absolutely done in by half time and he was done within 10 minutes of the restart. 

Cracking touch and finish for the goal though. He's never been a lone striker though. And keeping him on for next season in league one would be utter madness considering his wages. One of the worst value signing's in the clubs history. Also, don't buy the if he'd played more games he'd have score more goals diatribe either. Not a single manager in the past 6 seasons has fully believed in him to be the key striker. 

And all have failed but had brief success when starting Rhodes. Go figure.

And I wouldn’t sign him for next season unless on vastly reduced wages”

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

He has a lot more to do, before he could be said to proving his critics wrong. Did a decent job though yesterday, and as I posted before, maybe he’s starting to get to grips with what’s required of a modern day forward. It’s ironic that for the duration of his time here, he’s failed to adapt, but finally as the penny might be dropping, he will walk away for free and another club may benefit from his, finally seeing the light. It’s not going to happen, but he would be extremely useful to us next season in League One. The reality is, he owes us big time

Yes that's about the long and short of it.

Guest T Hardy
4 minutes ago, 0742 said:

"again"

Exactly. Stats about minutes per goal are so misleading too. Victor Anichebe has one of the best minutes per goal ratio in Premier League history.

I’ll just be so happy if we stay up. I’d love for Rhodes to play a key part in that. You get the feeling that some fans will be even happier about “been proven right” about Rhodes if that happens, but even if he was to do that, it wouldn’t take away that he’s been a massive disappointment as an Owl

Guest Jack the Hat
20 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

You're the third person I've seen mention that Rhodes 'drew fouls' in yesterday's game, as if it was a major aspect of his game.

How many times do you think he was fouled yesterday?

One million dollars!

46 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

And all have failed but had brief success when starting Rhodes. Go figure.

And I wouldn’t sign him for next season unless on vastly reduced wages”

Were Boro failing when he couldn't get a game? What about Norwich, where he only started 9 games?

4 hours ago, stompingowl said:

Didn't all these join the club whilst Monk was in charge. 

What relevence (even if correct)would that have on the decisions of the 'other' managers not to pick him?..plain ridiculous to still bring up GM...and without Windass & Pattersons goals where would we have been? They are attacking midfielders,not forwards..not their fault they have had to lead the line,sometimes as a lone striker....A striker wasnt brought in,either pre season,or in the Jan transfer window...GM again?

• Thanks 1

Guest LondonOwl313
4 hours ago, Lunny1968 said:

Ah the Jordan Rhodes fan club strikes again.  15 goals £8m fee £35k per week. What a magnificent return!

Sunk cost though.. bad signing but given we're stuck with him and he's better than the rest of the garbage we have he should be playing

2 hours ago, shandypants said:

He’s playing well because his contract is coming up for renewal. 

2 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

Okay , there is no chance of him getting a new contract. Everyone knows that.

1 hour ago, Ray Von shabba said:

Wondered how long that old egg would take to turn up :tango:

I'm being deliberately sarcastic and facetious because that was always the line thrown at Nuhiu by his haters and various Rhodes lovers whenever Nuhiu either hit a vein of form or kept St Jordan out of the team.  

For the record, I'm glad Rhodes has hit form; simply because he owes us some goals big time.  

Edited by shandypants
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lunny1968 said:

You are right. But his contract is signed and we're paying him. Why the hell isn't he starting.

You'll get no return from the stands.

13 minutes ago, Emilianenko said:

What’s that have to do with his time at Hillsboro, oh that’s right , nothing.

I said in the last 6 years not a single manager has believed in him, you said 'all had failed' which isn't true, it's not just here he's failed to be given the chance. 

But as said, he was absolutely shot within 10 minutes of the restart yesterday. Clinging on to the hope that he's the answer to our goals problems is futile. He's been a poor player and waste of money. 

• Like 2