Jordan Rhodes

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Started way too few games. Best we’ve got in that position by far.

Managers preferring Windass, Paterson, Kachunga and Marriott in a season where we don’t score enough is the main reason we are going down.

Points deduction, poor managerial appointments ( keeping Monk too long, appointing Pulis, 2 months to next appointment) , wages not paid, contracts being allowed to run down,  lack of investment in Janauary, poor recruitment policy since 2016, not replacing players and signing crockd, 23 points thrown away from winning positions, not coming from behind all season are the main reasons we are going down.

Not playing one player more who may or may not have scored goals when its a team game. And if he scored the.goals who is saying we would have won those gsmes  isnt a main reason

46 minutes ago, Lunny1968 said:

Ah the Jordan Rhodes fan club strikes again.  15 goals £8m fee £35k per week. What a magnificent return!

Nobody is arguing that he's been a resounding success over the last 4 years but the reality is that right now, he's clearly our best striker. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

In any Rhodes thread it’s worth updating the options we have.

Rhodes 4 goals 805 mins - goal per 201 mins

Paterson 6 goals 2203 mins - goal per 370 mins

Windass 5 goals 1949 mins - goal per 375 mins

Marriott 0 goals 387 mins

Kachunga 0 goals 896 mins

Mind-blowingly rank bad management this season to keep him in the stands.

You're comparing apples and oranges really, as they're very different players with very different attributes. Given that he's a penalty-box predator whose game is predominantly based around getting on the end of chances, you'd expect Rhodes to have a better goals per minute ratio than the likes of Paterson or Windass, who tend to be more involved in the build-up play.

Take yesterday's game for example: despite being one of Rhodes' best all-round performances of the season, he only touched the ball 19 times compared to Windass' 54 due to the different roles they were asked to play. Both performed their roles well for the most part, but whereas Rhodes was largely tasked with getting on the end of chances in the area, Windass was deployed deeper and towards the right flank.

Rhodes' contribution to the team can be more easily (though not entirely) measured in pure goalscoring terms because that's usually his primary contribution to a game, unlike our other players who tend to perform different roles.

Having said that, I wonder how Paterson and Windass compare when played purely as strikers rather than as attacking midfielders or out on the wing?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, kristmace said:

Nobody is arguing that he's been a resounding success over the last 4 years but the reality is that right now, he's clearly our best striker. 

Correct. Proved his critics wrong again also by playing the lone striker role better than anyone else we have

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

He has a lot more to do, before he could be said to proving his critics wrong. Did a decent job though yesterday, and as I posted before, maybe he’s starting to get to grips with what’s required of a modern day forward. It’s ironic that for the duration of his time here, he’s failed to adapt, but finally as the penny might be dropping, he will walk away for free and another club may benefit from his, finally seeing the light. It’s not going to happen, but he would be extremely useful to us next season in League One. The reality is, he owes us big time

The reality is he can’t pay us back say on his arris in Row F

• Like 2

I’ve been amongst Rhodes’ harshest critics. For the previous two seasons, to me, he’s barely resembled a professional footballer, so slow and weak.

But I must say from what I’ve seen of him this year it’s the best he’s performed since his first season. His all-round play has been decent and he’s started chipping in with goals again. Of course there’s a chance he’s looking better because we’re now comparing him to Windass, Marriott and Kachunga rather than Forestieri, Fletcher and Joao. But I do think he’s looked stronger, fitter and sharper.

So while I agree with those who say that overall he’s been a disastrous signing I do actually think, based on this season alone, he warrants a place in the team. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

We need to win games and obviously to win games we need to score goals.

Who are the players we have that are more likely to score goals? 

Answer Rhodes and Paterson, hardly anybody else is scoring. The last time we won games, Bournemouth and Wycombe, those two scored.

Due to lack of goals coming from anywhere else apart from Windass occasionally, we have to rely on Rhodes and Paterson and they should start.

• Love 1

The large fee is so far in the past it’s barely worth dwelling on at this stage. I am neither a fan nor critic of Rhodes. 
Based on yesterday I am scratching my head as to why he hasn’t stared more. He’s better up front than Paterson, Windass, Kachunga or Marriott. 
The defence he was playing against yesterday has conceded 26 goals this season. Only 2 teams have done better at the back (25). But he was an outlet, positioned himself well drew fouls worked hard and scored. 
If I didn’t know who he was I would be saying sign him up for next season. He’d be decent in L1. It won’t happen of course. 
UTO!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, paulrs said:

I’ve been amongst Rhodes’ harshest critics. For the previous two seasons, to me, he’s barely resembled a professional footballer, so slow and weak.

But I must say from what I’ve seen of him this year it’s the best he’s performed since his first season. His all-round play has been decent and he’s started chipping in with goals again. Of course there’s a chance he’s looking better because we’re now comparing him to Windass, Marriott and Kachunga rather than Forestieri, Fletcher and Joao. But I do think he’s looked stronger, fitter and sharper.

So while I agree with those who say that overall he’s been a disastrous signing I do actually think, based on this season alone, he warrants a place in the team. 

Yeah, he's looked a lot more physically 'up for it' in certain games this season compared to what we've seen in the past.

He's always been an effective penalty-box predator; it's just that we don't often play in a way that gets the ball to him in decent areas for the most part, hence his contribution to many games over the years being minimal. Watching us hoof the ball up and expecting Rhodes or Windass to outjump / outmuscle opposition centre-backs has been one of the worst aspects of this season for me. It's braindead football.

Thankfully, we avoided that 'style' yesterday, and I thought he played really well, leading the line and closing down from the front alongside Windass and Reach. I'm sure he'd rather have a traditional target man alongside him, but we don't have one of those!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

Proved his critics wrong again yesterday, played the lone front man well. Kept possession, drew fouls, SCORED.

I fear he will be dropped if he doesn’t score in the next game though.

He’s playing well because his contract is coming up for renewal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Here comes Mr Stats with his latest pile of crap. Are you Andy Rhodes? 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

How does Patterson rank when you take his games out he played in centre mid under pulis 

not criticising the facts more looking at how that compares 

Guest Jack the Hat
2 hours ago, Lunny1968 said:

Ah the Jordan Rhodes fan club strikes again.  15 goals £8m fee £35k per week. What a magnificent return!

What does his wages have to do with anything? We have to pay them just the same if he's sat on the bench. Typically stupid comment I expect on here. As OP said. Scored, covered back well and drew fouls on the way forward giving us possession and relieving pressure. We had one attack after he had gone off where we actually put a good cross in but nobody was in there to meet it. All that matters is which players are most likely to keep us up. Him, Westwood and Hutch are key whether people like it or not. History is irrelevant the next 11 games aren't.