Luton 3rd goal

2 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair play mate, plenty wouldn't revise their judgement even with the evidence staring them in the face. 

I agree in general the defensive side of his game isn't great, in 3rd goal he does lose his man who is left unmarked in the box and could easily have been the one on the end of the cross to score. 

I think he played well first half and created our only chance, a good chance in the second. He benefited in attacking sense from having Brown ahead of him but some of Thompson's choices baffled me.

He said Brown couldn't manage much more than the 15 minutes he often gets due to fitness but he makes his first start in months today and gets a full 90 minutes. Hutchinson was clearly blowing out of his backside second half but also didn't get subbed off, he has performed better when playing in defence lately rather than midfield too. I know we are short in that area without Shaw & Luongo but Pelupessy could have done a job and allowed Hutchinson to play at the back. Borner starts out of nowhere but also can't finish the game. Too many changes in defence doesn't make for a coherent display. 

Agree entirely with what you're saying. Hutch needs to play at the back, and I know Joey has his critics but he does do a good job of breaking up play and shielding the back three. I dont think Bannan is a bad player, I just think the way we set up, we cant afford to have him in the team if we're gonna move forwards long term. Modern midfielders need to be a bit more physical, and contribute with goals if not playing the holding role. Personally if I was in charge I'd have him much further up the pitch breaking down defences with through balls etc. We really miss Keiren Lee. Massively. 

1 hour ago, 0742 said:

That is pretty damning evidence of a team in disarray. 

You cannot tell me that this is chansiri's fault too. This is basic minimum requirements from a footballer. 

They should be disgusted with themselves.

I'm sure we've all seen too many occasions where we let players run past us time after time while we are like statues. 

We must be one of the laziest teams in the league as we fail to support the attack, fail to defend against runners and fail to close teams down and get in their faces to force mistakes.

Instead we sit deep off teams and allow them to play with freedom most of the time. I've seen more commitment in Sunday leagues. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, OwlBiSeeinThi said:

It's been a shambles for years. It's nowt to do with the current coaching staff.

If experienced players on the pitch cannot take responsibility for fundamentals of the game that have been drilled into them since they were chabs they have no business claiming  to be professional footballers. There are no excuses for that defending today. Frankly There are more focused Sunday league teams out there.

Let's be honest, if you rolled back the years and these same players played like that when they were at the academy or grass roots they'd have never been scouted and then we wouldn't have the misfortune of having to watch them now.

Good points, they should be ashamed, just easy money for them I guess, may be different if they were paid on results. 

12 hours ago, Steve Down South said:

Watch it again, goal scorer didn’t run past Bannan (he was already back in the box) and was Penney’s man to pick up.

Where was Bannan stood, ball watching?.

The whole midfield needs changing in my opinion, before we can even think about improving the team.

They have been together too long and lack the character needed.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Daz said:

I'm sure we've all seen too many occasions where we let players run past us time after time while we are like statues. 

We must be one of the laziest teams in the league as we fail to support the attack, fail to defend against runners and fail to close teams down and get in their faces to force mistakes.

Instead we sit deep off teams and allow them to play with freedom most of the time. I've seen more commitment in Sunday leagues. 

I've been saying that for the last 6 years.

When teams allow us to play we look good, but when teams close us down we disappear, hide.

Lack of character and moral fibre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, parajack said:

Windass body language and reaction to scoring his second goal spoke volumes............2-0 up,scores a brilliant 2nd goal,and doesnt celebrate.........

Think players who do this are still trying to emulate the Cantona "arrogant" pose but not quite pulling it off

• Like 2

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

1 minute ago, Striggy said:

Think players who do this are still trying to emulate the Cantona "arrogant" pose but not quite pulling it off

No mate,i think theres much more to it than that......Listening to the commentary it even seemed to have fooled Laws,who wasnt sure at first it had gone in....

11 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair play mate, plenty wouldn't revise their judgement even with the evidence staring them in the face. 

I agree in general the defensive side of his game isn't great, in 3rd goal he does lose his man who is left unmarked in the box and could easily have been the one on the end of the cross to score. 

I think he played well first half and created our only chance, a good chance in the second. He benefited in attacking sense from having Brown ahead of him but some of Thompson's choices baffled me.

He said Brown couldn't manage much more than the 15 minutes he often gets due to fitness but he makes his first start in months today and gets a full 90 minutes. Hutchinson was clearly blowing out of his backside second half but also didn't get subbed off, he has performed better when playing in defence lately rather than midfield too. I know we are short in that area without Shaw & Luongo but Pelupessy could have done a job and allowed Hutchinson to play at the back. Borner starts out of nowhere but also can't finish the game. Too many changes in defence doesn't make for a coherent display. 

It makes you wonder who is selecting the team?.

Not DC more like some of the players.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Kraschenbern said:

I stand corrected (said the man in the orthopaedic shoes). I'd not seen the replay until now. At the time I thought it was Bannan who'd lost his man. But you're correct, it was Penney.

I do stand by what I say in general tho. And even on that occasion, a quick look around might have led to him marking the space around the 6 yard line rather than the player at the back post.

So now you’re saying it’s Bannans fault because he was marking his man ?.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Shocking really,

Bannan lets a man wander past him - the number 4 unmarked near the penalty spot,

Hutchinson goes chasing the ball when there's no need,

Harris ambling back in with two men unmarked at the back post,

Dunkley doing nothing other than getting close to marking his own team mate.

Reach gets beat all too easily down the line and makes a pathetic unsuccessful attempt to block the cross,

Wildsmith doesn't cover himself in glory with the header,

only one seemingly doing his job to any degree is Lees who is left high and dry by all around him. 

Lees puts Wildsmith off completely...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, debram said:

A shambles then, no training ground procedures, just not drilled, no disrespect but Bullen and Thomson out of their depth, its a mickey mouse partnership in reality. 

Club culture has been poor for years, so you have to look at the long-term coaching staff and ask if they are part of the problem IMO.

You only have to see lack of fight once things go against them to ask why this really hasn't been tackled over the last three years or so.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Were all over the place.

This comes from poor coaching, poor attitude and no leadership!

20210227_203645.jpg

This actually would not look out of place on a parks pitch with the team defending being one of the worst in that league. 

Incredible and damning snapshot of a team playing Championship football.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, parajack said:

No mate,i think theres much more to it than that......Listening to the commentary it even seemed to have fooled Laws,who wasnt sure at first it had gone in....

He celebrated. Just gave it the old Cantona. 

Bit embarassing considering we went and conceded 3 in the second half.

Lads thought job was done 

34 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

This actually would not look out of place on a parks pitch with the team defending being one of the worst in that league. 

It's a comment that fans will often make when being critical but it certainly seems fair in this instance. So many players simply not doing the basics of what should be expected

8 hours ago, Beauchief Owl said:

If only the chairman new football. 

On 27/02/2021 at 21:26, Kraschenbern said:

100% this.  It wasn't Penney's man.  It was Bannan's.  He is shocking at tracking the runners around him.  Great at closing down the opposition keeper pointlessly from time to time tho, giving the impression he works hard.  I wish people would realise that he is vastly overrated.  He offers very little.  He looks "tidy", but considering what's around him, that's not hard.  All this nonsense about key passes too.  Makes me laugh.  He was a very average player when we had a decent side.  That's why he played on the left.  Plays too deep, never scores, can't tackle, can't head a ball, can't go past a man (spinning round in circles and playing a square ball is not beating a man), never finds pockets of space where he can do the other team damage.  I've been saying this for three seasons.  We will not develop into a good side while ever we are so reliant on him.  

I love this post. Spot on the money. 

• Like 1