Celtic

4 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

Agreed. It’s astonishing that Lennon hasn’t been emptied already and the inaction from your board is very odd. What are they waiting for? It’s clear that they’re not going to let him take charge of a rebuild, and it’s clear that you’ve lost the league. You need to be starting now and letting a new man assess the current squad.

🤣 £7m Milan want for Laxalt. I doubt you’ll be paying that for him. He looks incredibly ordinary and like you say he was totally at fault for the goal.

Regarding Laxalt, it's another case of a player living off the name of his parent club. Lee Naylor was a better all round full back, and he was nothing more than a steady 7/10 man every week.

2 minutes ago, g-owls said:

It's not crazy when you see the level that Lennon has taken them downwards.

If he's in charge at the start of next season then Rangers will win the league by 10 points minimum.

He was a fabulous player for the club and was a key member of the squad that came so close in Europe, but his managerial acumen leaves a lot to be desired.

It's a bit like Danny Wilson at Wednesday. Super player in a wonderfully exciting team but out of his depth as manager.

Danny Wilson didn't win multiple trophies at Wednesday though

he didn't even come close to being a competent manager here

2 minutes ago, scram said:

Gerrard has done a great job at Rangers

But i think he needs a couple of seasons consolidating that before he even hits the radar of those who be tasked with replacing Klopp

Totally agree.

He'd be wise to stay at Ibrox for now. Celtic are in turmoil and Gerrard has an opportunity to really put a stamp down at Rangers. 

I could see him ending up in the Premier League at some point, but at somewhere such as Southampton or Wolves. If that went well then there's the obvious step up..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

It’s hard to assess and I agree I don’t think he can achieve much more at Rangers. I don’t think he has done enough to warrant the Liverpool job (yet) but that’s clearly where he wants to be when Klopp eventually does leave. 

I agree, I can't see him being ready to step in at Anfield yet, be interesting to see what he does this summer. 

Gerrard should stay at Rangers, make them a force in the SPL - Basically win it a few more times.

In the process get a decent little European run going for them too. Winning it once, whilst Celtic have fallen apart is a little too early to tout him for that Liverpool job. Much like Lampard going to Chelsea was way too soon.

Has a chance to really make a name for himself and become a legend at Rangers. And right now is the perfect opportunity as Celtic need a full rebuild. I don't even know who their "star" players are? Maybe Eduoard. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, g-owls said:

It was abysmal defending for the goal. Laxalt was actually stood with his man the moment the free kick was taken, but for some reason just let get free between himself and Brown. 

They need more than lots of new players. Lennon should have already been shown the door but the board are just dithering along hoping it will be ok in the end. A new man should have been in place already in preparation for the next season. I can see Rangers winning the title for the next couple of years. 

I've just thought Vladimir Ivić (who was linked with us ) would be a good fit for them, maybe?

Gerrard should stick it out at Rangers and try to win a few more titles. No reason why he won't do that.

If he ends up at Liverpool too soon, you'll probably find yourself in another Lampard type situation.

I'd suggest he needs another job in the PL before he can be really considered for Anfield. Rangers are a huge club, but he's pretty much dealing with players who would operate in the lower reaches of the Prem or top half of the Championship. I'd think part of his success is that yes, he's shaping up to be a very capable manager, but I imagine all that team is buzzing off playing for a legend like Gerrard.

Not sure the latter point resonates quite so much when you are dealing with world class players and global superstars.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Incognito Owl said:

I've just thought Vladimir Ivić (who was linked with us ) would be a good fit for them, maybe?

Possibly, but I’ve got a scary feeling that Lennon will still be around when next season starts.

Ivic may well be a good man for the job. Personally I reckon he’d be too much of a risk at the current time, as something leads me to think of another Paul Le Guen situation like Rangers once discovered.

Whoever, and whenever someone else takes the role, one things for certain.. They’ll need the skin of an elephant to be able to handle the pressure. I accept it’s a two horse race every year, but that in itself only adds to the expectation. Finishing second with the Old Firm is never an option,, nor is it ever classed as an unfortunate near-miss, whether that be in the league or through the cups. 

• Like 1

Lennon is surely a dead man walking?

That team have so badly underperformed?

After the success under Rodgers, there was always going to be a drop off at some point, but the decline has been so rapid since.

What now? 

A clear out? One undertaken by a manager who has bombed this season and is such a hot head. He's the type of guy to make a situation worse when things are going wrong imo.

Looks to me like they need a reset, starting with the manager.

12 hours ago, SiJ said:

Gerrard should stick it out at Rangers and try to win a few more titles. No reason why he won't do that.

If he ends up at Liverpool too soon, you'll probably find yourself in another Lampard type situation.

I'd suggest he needs another job in the PL before he can be really considered for Anfield. Rangers are a huge club, but he's pretty much dealing with players who would operate in the lower reaches of the Prem or top half of the Championship. I'd think part of his success is that yes, he's shaping up to be a very capable manager, but I imagine all that team is buzzing off playing for a legend like Gerrard.

Not sure the latter point resonates quite so much when you are dealing with world class players and global superstars.

Completely agree he is not ready for the Liverpool job right now. Just feel that there might be only one way to go at Rangers after this season and a Premier League job might be a better alternative if a chance becomes available. 

Celtic still have a better squad and a better financial set up than Rangers and their next choice of manager will set the direction they will try to go in. It is unlikely that Rangers will dominate the next decade like Celtic have the last and it hasn't been easy for the SPL winners to even get to the group stage in the Champions League - get knocked out in the early qualifying and it puts a downer on the season at a very early stage. 

1 hour ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Completely agree he is not ready for the Liverpool job right now. Just feel that there might be only one way to go at Rangers after this season and a Premier League job might be a better alternative if a chance becomes available. 

Celtic still have a better squad and a better financial set up than Rangers and their next choice of manager will set the direction they will try to go in. It is unlikely that Rangers will dominate the next decade like Celtic have the last and it hasn't been easy for the SPL winners to even get to the group stage in the Champions League - get knocked out in the early qualifying and it puts a downer on the season at a very early stage. 

I think he might be better having a crack abroad at another big club and proving himself again. Win some more trophies and then maybe he could go to Liverpool. Clubs like Liverpool want managers that win things and if he went to a Milan, Lyon, Ajax, or something and won things then I think that would be a good move. Leaving Rangers to join rubbish like Palace or Southampton or someone like that in the Premier wouldn’t be good for him in my opinion. Realistically what can he achieve at a club like that?  

Whilst Gerrard has done exceptionally well this season, at the moment he has only had one good season at Rangers, and he has only won 1 trophy out of 12 on offer with a very large budget. If he can have another 1-2 good seasons there and win some more trophies and continue his progress in European competitions then his stock will rise further. 

Interesting that Steve Clarke is being strongly linked to the gig at Celtic Park. I hope he stays at Scotland and tells Celtic to ram it!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

I think he might be better having a crack abroad at another big club and proving himself again. Win some more trophies and then maybe he could go to Liverpool. Clubs like Liverpool want managers that win things and if he went to a Milan, Lyon, Ajax, or something and won things then I think that would be a good move. Leaving Rangers to join rubbish like Palace or Southampton or someone like that in the Premier wouldn’t be good for him in my opinion. Realistically what can he achieve at a club like that?  

Whilst Gerrard has done exceptionally well this season, at the moment he has only had one good season at Rangers, and he has only won 1 trophy out of 12 on offer with a very large budget. If he can have another 1-2 good seasons there and win some more trophies and continue his progress in European competitions then his stock will rise further. 

Interesting that Steve Clarke is being strongly linked to the gig at Celtic Park. I hope he stays at Scotland and tells Celtic to ram it!

I agree with the gist of what you are saying but I can't see him getting a gig at someone like Milan at this stage and can't see him in France or Holland either. 

Liverpool will want a manager who wins things but I think they would also gage Gerrard's performance on what he was working with. Brendan Rodgers got the Liverpool job without winning things but was judged more on style, approach and improving players and teams, I think Gerrard with be afforded similar given his connections to the club but it is difficult to pinpoint what would be an ideal Premier League club to make that kind of impression at right now.

I'd dispute him only having one good season at Rangers. He has made progress year on year. While he will have been disappointed not to have done better in the cups, Rangers haven't won any major trophy in a decade so to say he has only won one competition in 12 is a bit of a harsh parameter seeing as he is about to bring home the main one. Are you counting European trophies in the 12 he has had a crack at in 3 seasons? When was the last time a Scottish club won a European trophy? Be realistic.