Celtic agree personal terms with Liam Shaw

There's no point us bothering with the youth team and U-23 set-up is there?

We have for produced so few players down the years that have convincingly made the step up to the first team anyway, and when we finally produce a few we prove to be so inept at getting them signed up before their potential becomes obvious to other clubs and we're either unable or unwilling to compete, and they then leave for next to nothing.

So all we've got to show for it is the paltry development compensation.

I'm not sure what money's involved in running both the youth and U-23s, but I doubt it provides any kind of profit for us.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, cowl said:

There's no point us bothering with the youth team and U-23 set-up is there?

We have for produced so few players down the years that have convincingly made the step up to the first team anyway, and when we finally produce a few we prove to be so inept at getting them signed up before their potential becomes obvious to other clubs and we're either unable or unwilling to compete, and they then leave for next to nothing.

So all we've got to show for it is the paltry development compensation.

I'm not sure what money's involved in running both the youth and U-23s, but I doubt it provides any kind of profit for us.

There must be some grants or tax breaks or summat 

Owlstalk Shop

10 minutes ago, OrlandoUnTrustful said:

If the rumours are true that he has signed for Celtic then we have no choice but to banish him until his contract is up. 

Attack me all you want but you’re either with us or you’re the enemy.

I’m 33 years old and I still have dreams about scoring the winning goal in the fa cup final. He is fulfilling everyone’s dreams by playing week in week out for his boyhood club. You pick a team and with it you accept a life sentence with no parole. 

We are in hell but we just have to keep going. Characters show their true colours and stand up and be counted. Cowards run when the going gets tough. 

If he’s got anything about him he confirms the rumours and disappears up to Glasgow and has 6/7 months without any competitive football. I’d sooner go down without him being 

anywhere near the club.

IF THE RUMOURS ARE TRUE....

I understand that he is trying to better himself and progress his career, good on him, his circumstances and decision and I wish him the best for the future. 

My question would be that as a fan of a club (as we all hopefully are on here!) What would you do? Times like these are hard but a talented young player could stick with the club go on to be a hero... and still gain a big move down the line. 

I understand that the opportunity of a move may only come once, he might get injured next week..

I honestly don't think as a life long fan I could just up and leave my club for a 'quick' better offer.  Essentially once you have done that the reputation with your club is tarnished forever, is it worth it? 

• Like 2

Guest OrlandoUnTrustful
1 minute ago, Daryl Catpiss said:

Him being crap is getting(contributing to) us relegated. 

He's stabbing you in the front.

If the recruitment had been better this year, he Shaw might not have even got any first team games, and left without a second thought in the summer. Would you have been complaining about Wednesday stabbing him in the back? 

Os is that football?

The whole squad is crap. We can’t pin it all on one player. It’s just one big pile of poor players.

1 minute ago, MASSIVE_WEDNESDAY said:

I understand that he is trying to better himself and progress his career, good on him, his circumstances and decision and I wish him the best for the future. 

My question would be that as a fan of a club (as we all hopefully are on here!) What would you do? Times like these are hard but a talented young player could stick with the club go on to be a hero... and still gain a big move down the line. 

I understand that the opportunity of a move may only come once, he might get injured next week..

I honestly don't think as a life long fan I could just up and leave my club for a 'quick' better offer.  Essentially once you have done that the reputation with your club is tarnished forever, is it worth it? 

Tarnished forever?!

If he does well at Celtic and we got promoted to the Premier League and bought him back nobody would bat an eyelid about this current move 

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, OrlandoUnTrustful said:

The whole squad is crap. We can’t pin it all on one player. It’s just one big pile of poor players.

It is  but you're knee jerking and wanting us to exclude one of our better ones because he's leaving. 

In a different season in a better position in the table, I would agree,  give someone else game time

But ostracising him now would be cutting your nose off to spite your face/weakening an already weak team.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, MASSIVE_WEDNESDAY said:

Being a Wednesday fan doesn't pay the bills.

Quite literally, this season, 

It wouldn't surprise me if other first teamers are encouraging him to go based on how this place is currently being run 

• Like 4

Guest OrlandoUnTrustful
Just now, Daryl Catpiss said:

It is  but you're knee jerking and wanting us to exclude one of our better ones because he's leaving. 

In a different season in a better position in the table, I would agree,  give someone else game time

But ostracising him now would be cutting your nose off to spite your face/weakening an already weak team.

We would be developing a player for another club. We are down regardless of shaw playing. I have no interest in helping his career. Let him have 6 months off and enjoy his new adventure. 

7 minutes ago, OrlandoUnTrustful said:

Probably because 99.99% of football fans are morons who let their emotions take over. 

8 of our players out there tonight will probably be leaving the club very soon mate. We’re all incredibly naive if we think they haven’t been on to there agents to get them sorted for next season. 

There’s absolutely no loyalty in football. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OrlandoUnTrustful said:

We would be developing a player for another club. We are down regardless of shaw playing. I have no interest in helping his career. Let him have 6 months off and enjoy his new adventure. 

as Sally had mentioned,  should we not be playing the 7 other players that will be leaving?  Using the same logic?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OrlandoUnTrustful said:

Do you think the current side are staying at SWFC?

Owlstalk Shop

Guest OrlandoUnTrustful
Just now, SallyCinnamon said:

8 of our players out there tonight will probably be leaving the club very soon mate. We’re all incredibly naive if we think they haven’t been on to there agents to get them sorted for next season. 

There’s absolutely no loyalty in football. 

I understand the point you’re making. However they don’t pretend to be one of us.

I take it too personally and it hurts when we struggle. Some people feel the same and others just revel in the misery and patronise and belittle other supporters. 

Guest OrlandoUnTrustful
Just now, @owlstalk said:

Do you think the current side are staying at SWFC?

I wouldn’t want any of them to stay apart from Shaw and Urhoghide.

We're in 22nd and 3 points off Cov in 20th. We're not down yet. If we were, I can see the point of dropping some of the players who'll be gone next season (drop all them and you're playing the U20s in  some cases) ...

...but dropping Shaw in a strop because he's signed with a different club for next season, whilst we have a half-decent chance of staying up is ChansiriBall at its worst and I'm not falling for it.

• Like 1

I understand the point you’re making. However they don’t pretend to be one of us.

I take it too personally and it hurts when we struggle. Some people feel the same and others just revel in the misery and patronise and belittle other supporters. 

Liam Shaw is a Wednesdayite. Doesn’t mean he has to put his career at risk because he supports the club.

Thats like telling Jamie Vardy to pack up what he’s doing at Leicester and join us for nowt to help us out.

Life doesn’t work like that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Daryl Catpiss said:

Being a Wednesday fan doesn't pay the bills.

Quite literally, this season, 

It wouldn't surprise me if other first teamers are encouraging him to go based on how this place is currently being run 

This. If I were a journeyman pro here, I'd be telling Shaw and Urhoghide to run away from S6 as fast as they possibly can, as long as DC's in charge.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Liam Shaw is a Wednesdayite. Doesn’t mean he has to put his career at risk because he supports the club.

Thats like telling Jamie Vardy to pack up what he’s doing at Leicester and join us for nowt to help us out.

Life doesn’t work like that.

Also I don't know if orlando is a season ticket holder, or a potd bod, but I'd be interested to know (pre pandemic) whether he had ever stopped attending cos of us playing poo or tickets being too expensive?

Thats the fan equivalent of his argument? Right 

• Like 1

There’s only one direction with Chansiriin charge.

I believe his original intentions were well founded, but he admitted a lack of football knowledge.

But he’s learnt nothing.  Recruitment since the 2016 play-off final has been a disaster, managerial appointments worse, supporter relationship virtually non- existent and he just won’t admit being wrong.  And now, for whatever reason, we’ve allowed the one  young talent,in I don’t know how many years,to get established at first team level, to leave for a pittance.

Its about time the support seriously demonstrate its total dissatisfaction, hopefully in the ground if we’re allowed in before the end of the season.

• Like 2