Sky Sports reporting Sam Hutchinson on his way back to SWFC

Just now, 83owl said:

What do you expect him to say?

"So Barry we are hearing reports of Sam Hutchinson rejoining you at SWFC"

BB - " I hope not,  he only managed to play 10 games in 3 months in the Cypriot league. I said if we didn't invest in the squad I would leave. See you later"

"thanks Barry"

Yes or no does Hutchinson improve our current midfield?

Answer - yes.

That’s it. Of course I’d rather we go and spend money on a younger and fitter player than Hutchinson. But they cost money, and the chairman is struggling to play the players on time and we don’t have a manager.

See the problem? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

If tomorrow we were starting an aging player with known long term injury issues, who has played half a dozen games in a year ( all of which were spent flailing around booting people in a tin pot league ) , we really would be snookered.

Not if you still had the players we've currently got here as well? 

We're talking about an addition not a replacement. To get rid of JP for Hutchinson for instance would be madness given the injury issues and lack of game time for Hutchinson, you wouldn't do that. 

But to just bring him in on top? That only strengthens the position of the squad.

1 minute ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Answer - yes.

That’s it. Of course I’d rather we go and spend money on a younger and fitter player than Hutchinson. But they cost money, and the chairman is struggling to play the players on time and we don’t have a manager.

See the problem? 

Presume Hutchinson is going to play for free then

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Answer - yes.

See the problem? 

I think the answer is no.

Hutchinson is a defensive midfield player who created and scored very little at his (admittedly excellent) peak.

Our defence has been generally good all season, even under the comedy period when Pulis was manager.  

We need more goals.

Answer - yes.

See the problem? 

And we're literally scrapping for our lives down there. Experience, key.

An 18yo on loan from a prem u23 is not where youd be looking in our predicament for instance. Hopefully, next season thats the direction we can look if we're fortunate to stay up 

What i dont understand, is some people would seemingly rather we brought in no one than Hutchinson. Which makes no sense, he gives us an extra body in midfield for starters. 

If we've got a 25 year old, better, fitter, free transfer available than Hutchinson im more than happy to go with that...great! But its also not FIFA21, its January, most decent players are tied up and we have no funds. 

Hence why Hutchinson coming in is surely a no brainer. 

2 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Presume Hutchinson is going to play for free then

Hutchinson on a free transfer is cheaper than anything else available. 

To get someone of Hutch’s quality would involve spending millions and trying to compete with other clubs for the signature (we aren’t an attractive proposition for anyone right now, not even Danny Cowley).

So if Hutch is willing to come here, it’s a no brainier. Free, will probably take a reduction in wages and we know what we’re getting. A good midfielder at this level with the qualities we lack in the squad.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I dont know if 'Hutch' was a bad egg but did come across as having a bit of an ego on him.

Of course he does, he's a footballer. Pretty much every decent footballer in the world has an ego on them - right up to the top - Neymar, Ronaldo, Messi, etc. Doesn't seem to hurt them.

And before people think I'm comparing him to Messi, bog-average holding midfield players (Robbie Savage, Vinnie Jones, Chris Kamara, etc.) all had egos on them as well. 

1 minute ago, mcmigo said:

Hutchinson is a defensive midfield player who created and scored very little at his (admittedly excellent) peak.

Our defence has been generally good all season, even under the comedy period when Pulis was manager.  

We need more goals.

If its a choice between a striker and Hutchinson, then yeah fair enough. 

But i've seen nothing from the club to suggest we can only bring in a striker or Hutchinson. Why cant we have both? 

We've been playing 19 year old Liam Shaw at Centre Back ffs, so don't tell me we don't need cover in midfield and CB. 

2 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

We need more goals.

Fair enough, I think he does. 

Luongo is terribly unreliable. Pelupessy has done ok this season but is not as good as Hutchinson. Shaw is very promising but let’s not expect the world from him after a couple of good performances. Bannan is a different type of player, as is Hunt. Brown is more a behind the striker type.

Would be a decent addition in the circumstances. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

We need more goals.

Have we had a midfield this season? Most games it has been a massed defence.

If we had a midfield who could get hold of the ball and get us playing further up the pitch we might actually score a few goals.

• Like 2

Just now, Emerson Thome said:

Of course he does, he's a footballer. Pretty much every decent footballer in the world has an ego on them - right up to the top - Neymar, Ronaldo, Messi, etc. Doesn't seem to hurt them.

And before people think I'm comparing him to Messi, bog-average holding midfield players (Robbie Savage, Vinnie Jones, Chris Kamara, etc.) all had egos on them as well. 

Yep. Makes me mad when people go on about egos. Of course there are egos. Christ go and watch a game of NFL in the states and it'll make our football 'ego'  lot look like timid mice.  

Even games at Sheffield FCs standard (and below!), theres players act round there like they're Ronaldo themselves! 

All about managing them. 

Hutchinson on a free transfer is cheaper than anything else available. 

To get someone of Hutch’s quality would involve spending millions and trying to compete with other clubs for the signature (we aren’t an attractive proposition for anyone right now, not even Danny Cowley).

So if Hutch is willing to come here, it’s a no brainier. Free, will probably take a reduction in wages and we know what we’re getting. A good midfielder at this level with the qualities we lack in the squad.

We signed him on a free, released him on a free and Paphos released him on a free. The notion that we have to spend millions to get another limited second tier central midfielder is ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, 83owl said:

We signed him on a free, released him on a free and Paphos released him on a free. The notion that we have to spend millions to get another limited second tier central midfielder is ridiculous. 

Huddersfield have literally just paid money to sign a 34 year old (who completely blew his knee in an accident) Richard Keogh. 

SHows the free agent market is sparse.

29 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

I still can’t get my head around the whole situation. I don’t think I have ever heard of a scenario where a club has let a player go once out of contract only to re-sign them half a year later. 
Prior to him leaving he was frozen out for reasons no one seems to understand.

How does this series of events happen?

Come on, you've been a Wednesday fan long enough to understand this is the norm.

Only boring teams do things the 'proper' way.

1 minute ago, 83owl said:

Please put forward your suggestions. A proven Championship midfielder with the qualities the whole squad currently lack who is available on the cheap and is willing to join a club without a manager and is not guaranteed their pay packet at the end of the month.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions. 

We are an embarrassment if he's signed again, an absolute embarrassment.

Why not go all out and get the whole gang back together? Wallace, Loovens, Pudil, Lee? I don't see why not, because apparently if you're good for a season or two at SWFC, you'll still be just as good five seasons later.

Anyone happy with this needs their head checking.

16 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Paul Scholes at Man Utd, Carlton Cole at West Ham, Stuart Downing at Blackburn?

Scholes came out of retirement to help with an injury crisis. Cole re-signed after a few weeks once West Ham couldn’t sign a replacement. Downing is the most similar but he certainly hadn’t been frozen out before he left and hadn’t started playing for a new club. 
Maybe it’s not strange at all and Hutchinson’s return is the most natural thing in the world but it still seems an oddity to me. I think it’s the letting him go after him being frozen out bit that makes it seem more odd. 
I’m not even anti it in any particular way. Suspect it won’t be a massive success as I think it’s better to move forward not backwards but time will tell I suppose.

2 minutes ago, Emerson Thome said:

Have we had a midfield this season? Most games it has been a massed defence.

If we had a midfield who could get hold of the ball and get us playing further up the pitch we might actually score a few goals.

So the answer is bring in another midfielder who drops as deep as the centre backs?

2 minutes ago, 83owl said:

I thought Krystian Bielik was excellent against us for Derby in a similar role. So I looked into him a bit more. Turns out Derby spent £8 million plus add-ons on him.

• Like 1