Hourihane available

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

No, I meant that they both favour the same role centrally, using their left foot to dictate play from deep It’s a shame, but I don’t see us being able to incorporate the two, unless we abandon the idea of playing with wingers, and move Bannan to left, similar to the role he had under Carlos

If we play a three man central midfield they're both good enough players to fit in anywhere in that three I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Tony Pulis said:

Imagine a midfield three of Bannan, Luongo and Hourihane - with Liam Shaw as back-up... 

Hopefully we at least throw our hat into the ring

I think we need to keep Shaw in the starting line up. Our best midfielder at the moment. If we did get Hourihane, then he could take Luongo's spot as he's never fit for long.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

If we play a three man central midfield they're both good enough players to fit in anywhere in that three I'm sure.

Yes I think they are, alongside a Hutchinson type, but we’d still require sh@t hot centre forward if we wanted to play with wingers To have a pairing up front, it would have to be one winger, or reverting to three at the back, and using wing backs. I’m certainly not in favour of that Perhaps using the Carlos system could work, though there’d be no room for someone breaking into the box, the role that Lee did so well. However, you are right, they are both good enough players to play together, but it would mean some sacrifices to get them both into the same side

Guest wilyfox
5 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Barnsley wouldn't sell him to us after the Winnall deal

Hourihane himself said that Wednesday wanted him to run his contract down and sign on a free, whereas Villa stumped up so he went there. 

Guest FoxOwl12
1 hour ago, Tony Pulis said:

Imagine a midfield three of Bannan, Luongo and Hourihane - with Liam Shaw as back-up... 

Hopefully we at least throw our hat into the ring

Liam Shaw as back up!!! You are joking. He's one of our best players.

10 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Hourihane himself said that Wednesday wanted him to run his contract down and sign on a free, whereas Villa stumped up so he went there. 

Didn't we put a derisory bid in for him along the lines of the Winnall deal , Barnsley turned it down cos the 6 fingered lot got angry and then Villa blew us out of the water with their offer so he went there?

Either way, he never ended up coming 

16 minutes ago, FoxOwl12 said:

Liam Shaw as back up!!! You are joking. He's one of our best players.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, he’s a young lad who’s had a couple of good performances in the centre back role. He certainly has the attributes, and natural ability to operate in midfield, maybe even as a box to box player, but he will need to show more consistency Great prospect though

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves, he’s a young lad who’s had a couple of good performances in the centre back role. He certainly has the attributes, and natural ability to operate in midfield, maybe even as a box to box player, but he will need to show more consistency Great prospect though

He's currently outplaying the rest in midfield - persist with him he'll only get better. Yes, he will have bad games, but which of our midfield aren't consistently having bad games. Shaw would be first midfielder on the team sheet at the moment.

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI
39 minutes ago, Gob_Bluth said:

Didn't we put a derisory bid in for him along the lines of the Winnall deal , Barnsley turned it down cos the 6 fingered lot got angry and then Villa blew us out of the water with their offer so he went there?

Either way, he never ended up coming 

Yep. We were saving up for our star striker signing that window. Wonder how that turned out... :ph34r: