Wadsley Bridge train station - where the old football trains used to run

Used to cause traffic chaos when there was a big away following, because there might be two or three trains. Police used to stop traffic going up the hill. 

Would often get the bus from Hillsborough Park to go toward High Green and be only going past the Kop an hour after the end of the game 

Just now, Mountain Owl said:

Was used all the time by me and quite a few others when coming to matches with the penistone owls. Many an escapade when the Mancs and Scouse were already on the same train.

i never knew it as regular station .....when did it  close ?

Remember in the dark days of the 74/75 season the joke going around of the away fans getting off the train there and asking a local the way to the ground. "Just follow the crowd" they were told and ended up in Fred Hartleys. (apologies to the younger generation who woyld have no idea what I'm on about) 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, mkowl said:

Used to cause traffic chaos when there was a big away following, because there might be two or three trains. Police used to stop traffic going up the hill. 

Would often get the bus from Hillsborough Park to go toward High Green and be only going past the Kop an hour after the end of the game 

Nowt much has changed with the road closures around the ground when fans are allowed back in

1 hour ago, soldierboyblue said:

Nowt much has changed with the road closures around the ground when fans are allowed back in

I will have forgot where the ground is 

Came by train to Wadsley Bridge the first time I came to Hillsborough in 1973. Living in London and travelled up on a Fulham supporters train, with a Fulham supporting mate from school. 

FA Cup game 13/1/73, won 2-0, Joicey and Prendergast scored

Strange cos my first time seeing Wednesday was also v Fulham, at Craven Cottage.

• Like 1

Late 1966 I started going to Hillsborough on the train from Penistone. I was only 10 years old but went with the big boys.....they were 12 🙂

We walked from Wadsley Bridge station to the ground, sometimes alongside away fans, which could be quite intimidating at that age.

I have fond memories of that station but the only downside was having to leave the ground early to make sure we got the last train back to Penistone. I missed a few late goals back then so never leave early now.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's been touted to reopen it so many times but never has been

3 of the biggest suburbs of Sheffield are not connected to public transport and that alone is scandalous. The station at Chap gets hammered and I'm of the same mind Wadsley Bridge would along with Deepcar , Wortley and Oughty Bridge lol

• Like 3