Wadsley Bridge train station - where the old football trains used to run

23 hours ago, torryowl said:

i never knew it as regular station .....when did it  close ?

Very roughly mid 70's. We then had to run a coach instead. The trains were quite regular up to then as it was an easy route straight through to manchester piccadily via the woodhead tunnel. It was a crazy non sensickle decision when the powers that be decided to close the line.

7 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

Not correct. Exact year defeats me but I can remember going to home matches from Penistone station late 60's up to mid 70's. There was a passenger train at least every hour.

7 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

Not correct. Exact year defeats me but I can remember going to home matches from Penistone station late 60's up to mid 70's. There was a passenger train at least every hour.

Exact year the line was closed defeats me but I can remember going to home matches from Penistone station late 60's up to mid 70's. There was a passenger train at least every hour. 

I think permission was granted in that period of time that Wadlsey bridge station would only open when matches were played at Hillsborough. Mainly because of the home fans coming from the Penistone area and also to acomodate away fans special trains.

1 hour ago, Mountain Owl said:

Exact year the line was closed defeats me but I can remember going to home matches from Penistone station late 60's up to mid 70's. There was a passenger train at least every hour. 

I think permission was granted in that period of time that Wadlsey bridge station would only open when matches were played at Hillsborough. Mainly because of the home fans coming from the Penistone area and also to acomodate away fans special trains.

The station closed to regular passenger traffic on 15th June 1959. The same day as Oughtibridge, and Deepcar.

Summer weekend 'anglers' trains were run until October 1965 and the station was also reopened on an infrequent ad-hoc basis when severe weather closed the roads and buses couldn't run. The final time that happened was for 5 days in February 1979.

Football specials used the station frequently into the late 1980's but this stopped completely after the railways were privatised in 1996.

The whole of the Woodhead line was closed to passengers in 1970. 

Edited by Brammy
  • Like 1

Guest Therealrealist

It’s a good cycle route the old woodhead line..get on at Wortley then all way up to dunford bridge and back..always up there in the summer🚴‍♂️

Guest Therealrealist
20 minutes ago, torryowl said:

any good for a road bike or is dirt track ?

It’s a lot better than a dirt track but not a road bike route..hybrid is the call

3 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

Very roughly mid 70's. We then had to run a coach instead. The trains were quite regular up to then as it was an easy route straight through to manchester piccadily via the woodhead tunnel. It was a crazy non sensickle decision when the powers that be decided to close the line.

As mentioned by Brammy, the station closed for regular passenger services in 1959, though the Woodhead line continued in use for Sheffield Victoria to Manchester services and cross country services until 5th January 1970. 

It was odd to close the line and move passenger traffic to the Hope Valley line which was longer and slower.

3 hours ago, Mountain Owl said:

The Sheffield - Huddersfield line through Wadsley Bridge via Penistone was in operation until 1983 when it was changed to run through Barnsley. As you say football specials still called at Wadsley Bridge in the 80's and early 90's. The last one to call there brought Nottingham Forest fans when we played them in the F.A. cup 3rd round, 8th January 1994.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Brammy said:

The station closed to regular passenger traffic on 15th June 1959. The same day as Oughtibridge, and Deepcar.

Summer weekend 'anglers' trains were run until October 1965 and the station was also reopened on an infrequent ad-hoc basis when severe weather closed the roads and buses couldn't run. The final time that happened was for 5 days in February 1979.

Football specials used the station frequently into the late 1980's but this stopped completely after the railways were privatised in 1996.

The whole of the Woodhead line was closed to passengers in 1970. 

Thanks for that Brammy. The grey matter is a bit depleted so my memories are very vague on most things. Just been reminded of the Huddersfield to Sheffield line which kept running for a while after that before it was redirected via Barnsley. 

8 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

As mentioned by Brammy, the station closed for regular passenger services in 1959, though the Woodhead line continued in use for Sheffield Victoria to Manchester services and cross country services until 5th January 1970. 

It was odd to close the line and move passenger traffic to the Hope Valley line which was longer and slower.

The Sheffield - Huddersfield line through Wadsley Bridge via Penistone was in operation until 1983 when it was changed to run through Barnsley. As you say football specials still called at Wadsley Bridge in the 80's and early 90's. The last one to call there brought Nottingham Forest fans when we played them in the F.A. cup 3rd round, 8th January 1994.

Thanks for that. That fills in the time period in the early 70's when we were still travelling by train to home games.

Guest Hornsby

Lived in London for yonks and many years ago we played West Ham on a Friday night, due to Cup Final next day if I recall right.

Only train back was for mail  and took 6 hours to reach St. Pancras.

Cos so many Hammers came, half time announcement about special train Wadsley Bridge after match, direct to smoke.

We'll have soma that. 2 mins outta station, first housebrick smashes right through our window, quickly followed by more missiles.

Though Summer, frozen by time we got back to London and one of worst attacks I ever had.  From fellow Owls. 

On 07/12/2020 at 23:24, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Absolutely. The Woodhead line remained open for Freight Traffic till 1981 when finally it closed. Only the Spur to Deepcar remains now and that's for Steel Trains from Aldwarke Steel Works.

• Like 1

On 14/11/2021 at 16:44, mildatheart67 said:

Leak from the national rail review says the Stocksbridge line will be reopening for passenger services 

Against that no HS2 line to Yorkshire 

It was bound to happen. Though I can't see the point of running it to East Midlands parkway. That does seem a waste of money now.

They now say they'll electrify the Midland Main Line which is long overdue but that's been promised many times in the past.

The problem with the MML is it is a slow and meandering route. They shouldn't have pulled up the old Great Central Line.

• Like 1