POST MATCH REACTION THREAD

39 minutes ago, Stevelknievel said:

The best managers and coaches in the world have the best players in the world to coach and manage.

I know that. How is that relevant? The previous poster stated that Klopp couldn’t do much better with our squad than Pulis. I absolutely disagree in that point. What do you think?

Monk had a run of games against bottom 8 opposition and lost them all. Pulis has taken over at an unbelievably difficult time. If he doesn’t get a win in the next two games, criticism will be more justified. I’d swap that fluky win against Bournemouth for a win against Rotherham any day, but under Monk they battered us. Anybody who can’t see the improved organisation and spirit under Pulis, simply doesn’t want to. 

• Like 2

Very mixed feelings right now.

Arguably our best performance of the season... unarguably in the top 20% of performances this season. Norwich are a good side, so to 'only' lose 2-1 to them is genuinely 'not bad'.

But a loss is a loss. And the manner of the loss irks me. A lot. Striker for a RB with half an hour left is an objectively diabolical change to make when you have an attacking midfielder, striker and generic forward player on the bench who could all come on instead. 

Too early to jump down the manager's throat IMO, I don't like to make a call until I've seen 10-or-so games. Especially when the run of matches he's had so far have been somewhat unfavourable. But yeah. On balance, this loss irks me. You can only see "good signs" for so long before time runs out and you're in the business end of the season with too much ground to make up. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

We've brought in a new manager who has picked up 0 wins in 5 games and we are bottom of the table. I wouldn't expect people to be jumping for joy. Didn't watch today  - can't be arsed on iFollow - but sounds like we played OK. But if you're going to allow the opposition 70% possession you better be prepared to concentrate for 90 minutes. 

I'm simply saying that everyone agrees that we haven't got the players we need for a balanced side.

The new manager has had no pre-season, no new players, injuries and suspensions and games in quick succession. Since his arrival we have played 4 of the top 5 sides.

It's not therefore reasonable to predict the rest of the season or judge his record.

Although why I'm expecting reasonable judgement I don't know. 😇

1 hour ago, Striggy said:

Picking up a bit of hate for Pessy this evening, mainly for not putting the chance away.  Just want to point out that he won the ball in our half, shrugged off a challenge, played a good ball to Harris, kept going, pulled of the defender towards the back stick to give Harris a pass, and got a shot on target, he’s not a striker but did his best. Overall did ok today I thought. Gutted with the result, and for the lads who worked hard. Small steps but improving as a team, if not results at the moment. 

He's the scapegoat

I thought we were excellent in the first half, especially the first 30 minutes. We were really well organised, full of energy and running and sharp as a needle. We created lots of chances and didn’t look like conceding.

Our goal was well deserved and was a great move. We well deserved to be a goal up.

What I can’t understand is why Iorfa was taken off very early in the second half. It changed the direction of the game. Also, why take Windass off and put Harris up front? Yes, Harris has great pace but Windass is the more natural striker and will hold the ball up better, get himself in better positions and is a better finisher. Both of these I couldn’t understand and I think cost us 3 points. Very frustrating to lose that game today.

If we can play like we did in those opening 30/45 minutes we will get to safety. But Pulis has to stop going defensively and holding on to a lead. Draws are no good. We need wins and 3 points. Win, lose, win, lose will easy get us to safety, draws won’t. Come on Pulis, let’s go for it now.

7 minutes ago, Rev Owl said:

I'm simply saying that everyone agrees that we haven't got the players we need for a balanced side.

The new manager has had no pre-season, no new players, injuries and suspensions and games in quick succession. Since his arrival we have played 4 of the top 5 sides.

It's not therefore reasonable to predict the rest of the season or judge his record.

Although why I'm expecting reasonable judgement I don't know. 😇

It's a football forum, we are bottom of the league and we are run by and managed by figures that are pretty divisive. Good luck.

23 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Just read we haven’t scored more than 1 goal in a game since the opening day. That is shocking. 

It’s appalling but shouldn’t shock you. This season we have had 2 managers, both who set up defensively, both who work in training on negating the oppositions strengths rather than exploiting their weaknesses, both who will make negative substitutions after scoring first to hold on to what we have rather than build upon it. Nothing surprising about that stat I’m afraid.