POST MATCH REACTION THREAD

People talk about having a ‘football brain’. The speed of thought of our players is awful. We can’t see things that are likely to happen. Both goals today guilt of ball watching, slow reactions, switching off.

Players have to have these skills. They should be ingrained rather than taught like specific ball skills or tactics. We are a very, very average set of lads who as it stands will be relegated without any doubt.

Its going to take a big January transfer window and some great management by Pullis to keep us up. Question is ‘will it be too late’?

People today worried about the Derby and Wycombe results, maybe, but for me it’s the Rotherham, Coventry, Forest, QPR results that are key. The gap is increasingly widening. 

56 minutes ago, Stevelknievel said:

I’m the original poster. 

lol

Klopp is the type of manager you need if you have a team of superstars and want to win the premier league and champions league. Tony Pulis (Colin is the same type as well) is the type of manager you want to grind out scrappy wins and draws using shithousey methods, because you have a weak squad. A manager like Klopp wouldn’t revert to that type of football.

Pulis is the what we need right now. My worry is that even with his experience it’s not enough. 

Klopp would have this squad organised but in a different way. Pressing high up the pitch. Attacking in a direct fashion but on the floor. Probably in his preferred 4-3-3 formation whereby the opposition have to keep 4 defenders back or face being taken apart on the break. He would definitely, absolutely improve performances from our current squad. 

Looking further back to the Monk reign, the performances even when we reached 3rd in the league at Christmas looked poor and unconvincing.  We won games that performances did not deserve.  Then we all know what happened after Christmas. Results were more reflective of performances and we slid down the table.

In the Pulis reign so far, to me there are signs of better organisation and teamwork, even though results haven't improved.  In general I would expect results to improve over time with this better organisation, especially if TP can bring in a few quality additions in the transfer window.

Taking into account the teams at the top of the table that we have played since TP arrived, there is hope that results will improve if the type of performance and organisation we have seen so far are maintained.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

That's the point

We were told Monk should be able to do much much better with what he had to work with

He didn't even have the players Pulis has to choose from due to injury etc

So TP should be doing better with what he has to work with surely?

with a bit of luck and a decent ref we would have won today. If you cant see the significant improvement in tactics attitude and effort today compared with wycombe, luton and rotherham i would keep your opinions to yourself as its as obvious as could possibly be after the inept performances seen under monks reign

1 minute ago, hirstys_achilles said:

with a bit of luck and a decent ref we would have won today. If you cant see the significant improvement in tactics attitude and effort today compared with wycombe, luton and rotherham i would keep your opinions to yourself as its as obvious as could possibly be after the inept performances seen under monks reign

100% agree but if you can't see we've not won a single game yet under Pulis you should keep your opinions to yourself as it's as obvious as could be

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

100% agree but if you can't see we've not won a single game yet under Pulis you should keep your opinions to yourself as it's as obvious as could be

how many players has TP signed ??? Only certain gains can be made in a short time with no new personnel. I would be pretty sure if we played luton wycombe or rotherham today we would have done a dam sight better than we did under monk

Just now, hirstys_achilles said:

how many players has TP signed ??? Only certain gains can be made in a short time with no new personnel. I would be pretty sure if we played luton wycombe or rotherham today we would have done a dam sight better than we did under monk

What has Garry monk got to do with us winning matches under Tony Pulis ?

weird people keep bringing up Garry monk .

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Kevan said:

Looking further back to the Monk reign, the performances even when we reached 3rd in the league at Christmas looked poor and unconvincing.  We won games that performances did not deserve.  Then we all know what happened after Christmas. Results were more reflective of performances and we slid down the table.

In the Pulis reign so far, to me there are signs of better organisation and teamwork, even though results haven't improved.  In general I would expect results to improve over time with this better organisation, especially if TP can bring in a few quality additions in the transfer window.

Taking into account the teams at the top of the table that we have played since TP arrived, there is hope that results will improve if the type of performance and organisation we have seen so far are maintained.

Just about nailed it for me Kevan

1 minute ago, Kendo Nagasaki said:

Just about nailed it for me Kevan

To be fair, I would rather be lucky not deserving, yet 3rd in the league as we were under monk ( and finished safely in mid table ), than be unlucky with no wins and rock bottom of the league as we are under Tony Pulis.

• Haha 1

Just now, mcmigo said:

To be fair, I would rather be lucky not deserving, yet 3rd in the league as we were under monk ( and finished safely in mid table ), than be unlucky with no wins and rock bottom of the league as we are under Tony Pulis.

It was never going to work with gm. To be fair its far too early to be making those type of assumptions

1 minute ago, mcmigo said:

I hope so because wins are very much a distant memory for me at the moment.

For the amount of time TP been here and the transfer window closed the change in the same players is quite big. With iorfa, flint, luongo properly match fit and no suspensions we would have buried norwich today. That first win no matter how is badly needed to get some confidence in the team. Bad refereeing rash tackles and silly individual errors have cost us in every game TP been in charge so far. What I saw today was a big step in the right direction. Even the games we won i never saw players teamwork or any cohesion. GMs stats speak for themselves. How many games under monk did we actually play well. Very few

4 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Very mixed feelings right now.

Arguably our best performance of the season... unarguably in the top 20% of performances this season. Norwich are a good side, so to 'only' lose 2-1 to them is genuinely 'not bad'.

But a loss is a loss. And the manner of the loss irks me. A lot. Striker for a RB with half an hour left is an objectively diabolical change to make when you have an attacking midfielder, striker and generic forward player on the bench who could all come on instead. 

Too early to jump down the manager's throat IMO, I don't like to make a call until I've seen 10-or-so games. Especially when the run of matches he's had so far have been somewhat unfavourable. But yeah. On balance, this loss irks me. You can only see "good signs" for so long before time runs out and you're in the business end of the season with too much ground to make up. 

Norwich got spanked at home by Luton midweek and literally had to fill their bench with u23 players. I believe they had 8-9 first team players out injured so let’s not pretend we were away at Man City. 

Apart from that I agree with the rest. 

43 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Finished mid table with a squad including Fletcher, Murphy, Fox, Hutchinson, Nuhiu, Lee, Nando etc. If only this manager had anywhere near that quality

• Like 1