Pulis deal could be a LONG TERM one

In the 80s under Howard Wilkinson we were known nationally as a hoof ball team. That's not how Owls fans remember it for one simple reason...it was successful. I enjoyed watching the game being played in the other teams half of the pitch in those days & I'm confident that I'll enjoy it again if that's how the Pulis era goes (should it be finalised). Welcome to Hillsborough Tony...I hope you do well.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

16 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Why give someone like Ryan Lowe a job like this,  you enjoy league one do ya ? 

Pulis will consolidate the club in this division, at the minute we look like an absolute car crash league one club , an experienced manager was absolutely the right call from the chairman who obviously sees the threat of relegation been very real 

so you give him a contract until the end of the season. What if Pulis doesn’t keep us up, what if we only just manage to stay up and we need to make another change in management. A 2.5 year contract makes that a bit more difficult. 

Just now, swfc-dan said:

To be fair, there is way too much fannying around at the back these days. Leads to a huge amount of goals from CBs and keepers who can't pass.

I don't mind a direct style if we have the players to do it, and we actually get players forward to feed off the target man. Still unconvinced we will do that, because Pulis main concern is always keeping enough men behind the ball. 

Just hoping the style will resemble Megson's time here. If so he could be a success. Talking of Meggo, he was his no2 at Baggies so why not now? Meggo has unfinished business here, does he think it would be too much focus on him if he came in as no2?

He has a long established reputation for playing borin, defensive football. It's not an accident and he's not apologetic about it. That's the way he sets teams up. He's the ultimate pragmatist. He's set himself up as a character to love or hate. The Teeside Live piece on him is eerily prescient looking at the views on here. 

"Most managers arrive box fresh. Most arrive with a clean slate. There are always hopes and expectations of course, and sometimes those can be steep and demanding, but most managers are given time and space to build a team, a style and a philosophy. Not Tony Pulis.

Pulis arrived with a lot of cultural baggage. Not that he had ever offended Boro fans. He wasn’t the architect of some past painful infamy.

But he was the focus for fully-formed philosophical objections, a media cypher for anti-football with a direct and regimented playing style guaranteed to annoy purists, hipsters and Arsene Wenger.

The urbane Frenchmen was cosmopolitan, slick, quick, attacking, passing football personified and he had personally and publicly cast Pulis as his polar opposite: the new Boro boss was attritional English long-ball writ large.

That is some image to shake off. Especially when you make no attempt to. Tony Pulis makes no concessions to public opinion whatsoever. He has never apologised for his style or methodology. He has always let his results speak for themselves."

3 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

To be fair, there is way too much fannying around at the back these days. Leads to a huge amount of goals from CBs and keepers who can't pass.

I don't mind a direct style if we have the players to do it, and we actually get players forward to feed off the target man. Still unconvinced we will do that, because Pulis main concern is always keeping enough men behind the ball. 

Just hoping the style will resemble Megson's time here. If so he could be a success. Talking of Meggo, he was his no2 at Baggies so why not now? Meggo has unfinished business here, does he think it would be too much focus on him if he came in as no2?

The playing from the back is done on purpose to create space further up the park.  You drag the opponent forwards assuming they come after the ball.  If you can then get out you have more space to attack.  As you note, you need good players back there to do it, not Joost Van Aken and Cameron Dawson.

1 minute ago, dan1980 said:

Not the biggest fan but i think he will have us challenging for play offs ncmxt season

JESUS CHRIST

The year 2020 and following a 12 point deduction and horrifically dull football not only is Sheffield Wednesday considering appointing Tony Pulis  but our  fans are now saying we're heading for the playoffs under him

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, marble said:

In the 80s under Howard Wilkinson we were known nationally as a hoof ball team. That's not how Owls fans remember it for one simple reason...it was successful. I enjoyed watching the game being played in the other teams half of the pitch in those days & I'm confident that I'll enjoy it again if that's how the Pulis era goes (should it be finalised). Welcome to Hillsborough Tony...I hope you do well.

It wasn't just that it was successful - it was exciting. It created chances and was a way of playing attacking football.  Pulis is about grinding out 1-0 wins - or 0-0 draws if not. It's not the same at all. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FoxOwl12 said:

Some on here are saying he gets results. He Does. Bad ones. His win rate is 1 in 3 for gods sake. 

Not in the Championship it isn’t. 

Its 41% - Equates to 19 wins.

Should get us a play-off.

Our recent seasons:-

15 wins

• Love 1

1 minute ago, mcmigo said:

The playing from the back is done on purpose to create space further up the park.  You drag the opponent forwards assuming they come after the ball.  If you can then get out you have more space to attack.  As you note, you need good players back there to do it, not Joost Van Aken and Cameron Dawson.

Or Barry Bannan

Or Odjubajo

Or Jack Marriott

Or Jordan Rhodes

etc etc etc

Owlstalk Shop

Just now, @owlstalk said:

JESUS CHRIST

The year 2020 and following a 12 point deduction and horrifically dull football not only is Sheffield Wednesday considering appointing Tony Pulis  but our  fans are now saying we're heading for the playoffs under him

Im not saying his football is pretty but he got a decent record cant deny that 

1 minute ago, WalthamOwl said:

so you give him a contract until the end of the season. What if Pulis doesn’t keep us up, what if we only just manage to stay up and we need to make another change in management. A 2.5 year contract makes that a bit more difficult. 

You have no idea what is in the contract though. I imagine it's not a flat 2.5 year contract without stipulations either way.  What if he massively outperforms expectations?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, FoxOwl12 said:

Some on here are saying he gets results. He Does. Bad ones. His win rate is 1 in 3 for gods sake. 

If you're gonna talk crap then put it in context please. Would that be 1 in 3 managing mid to lower table premier league teams over a 10 year span? Still a bad record ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rickygoo said:

It wasn't just that it was successful - it was exciting. It created chances and was a way of playing attacking football.  Pulis is about grinding out 1-0 wins - or 0-0 draws if not. It's not the same at all. 

Exactly

Anyone comparing Pulis to Wilkinson is grossly mistaken

It's a totally completely different kind of football altogether

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, wmb said:

Genuine question, if we are getting results and having relative success would you still not watch?

I can't afford to go now but when I did, I went for the entertainment NOT the result !

If we won that was a bonus.  And at £40+ now a game you would expect to get some entertainment. If you just want a result, buy a newspaper and look at the football results page, much cheaper.

Just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, wmb said:

Genuine question, if we are getting results and having relative success would you still not watch?

Should we drag up the comments from when Shawcross swatted Jeffers and see what Wednesday fans' opinion of him was then? I have a ST already for next season presumably - largely so I can still go with friends and family, that's the curse of all seater stadia. It's a massive step to give it up but being bored is a hell of an incentive to save me a lot of time and money. 

Just now, Captain Scarlett said:

I can't afford to go now but when I did, I went for the entertainment NOT the result !

If we won that was a bonus.  And at £40+ now a game you would expect to get some entertainment. If you just want a result, buy a newspaper and look at the football results page, much cheaper.

Just my opinion.

Are you happier if we lose an exciting game 1-3 than if we win a dull game 1-0?

• Like 6