Pulis deal could be a LONG TERM one

2 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

We've just lost at home to Luton, hammered away to Rotherham, gifted Wycombe their first ever Championship win, and drew at home to Millwall - all without scoring a goal.

We've scored 6 all season.

We've won 1 home game this year.

We've won 3 out of 11 so far.

We'd still only be 21st in the league if we didn't have 6 points deducted. That's below Rotherham and Barnsley.

We can't make squad changes until January.

You don't think we are in the mire?

Seriously, who do you think we could attract to manage us right now?

Chansiri says loads of people. 

Ideally I liked the idea of Pulis coming until the end of the season. Thought it was win win, he came in keeps us up and even a chance the support take to him. 

I think Pulis is a very good manager, but yes his football isn’t the best. But we will 100% get results. 

The only thing I would say, is NO manager so far has been given anything other than a rolling year to year deal. Chansiri is notoriously hard work and has made previous managers have to abide by his transfer policy and also had people accept the job without being able to bring in proper staff. Pulis will manage the football club top to bottom, every signing will be his and I doubt he comes in and has to work with Bullen and Thompson. 

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Really? I think this squad is perfect for Pulis.

Big lad in Patterson up top for the long ball and knocking defenders about. A bit of pace out wide to chase the said long balls/flick ons. We've got some aggression in midfield in Luongo and Pelupessi. Units at the back in Iorfa and Borner. I'm sure we have a long throw merchant too! lol

personally think Pulis is going to have to make a lot of signings in January to turn us in to a side that can play the way he does. 

7 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Chansiri was criticised for not giving Monk a longer deal. He was stung by losing Bruce. Not surprised he's giving Pulis a longer deal. Pulis will have sold thr idea of a medium to longer term vision for the club. Emphasising that he needs time and a few transfer windows. Chansiri will have liked what he saw and given him a longer deal. Someone like Pulis, who has been around the Prem for a long time, wouldn't be happy coming here on a short term deal with little time to succeed. That's the reality. But secondly who gives a **** how long the deal is? It doesn't matter. 

The chat yesterday involved lots of people saying Pulis was OK short term. The aim being to keep us up and pass the baton to a new younger, more forward thinking, progressive manager. A multi-year deal scuppers that thought. 

• Like 2

Just now, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

We've just lost at home to Luton, hammered away to Rotherham, gifted Wycombe their first ever Championship win, and drew at home to Millwall - all without scoring a goal.

We've scored 6 all season.

We've won 1 home game this year.

We've won 3 out of 11 so far.

We'd still only be 21st in the league if we didn't have 6 points deducted. That's below Rotherham and Barnsley.

We can't make squad changes until January.

You don't think we are in the mire?

Seriously, who do you think we could attract to manage us right now?

And Pulis is going to improve our goalscoring  😀

No, I dont think it's as desperate as has been described to justify Pulis. Monk needed to go, but we're about to replace his negative approach with the master of negative anti football. If we were all unanimous that Monks defensive mindset and the lack of goals you quote was the problem, this appointment then beggars belief. 

The 6 points back puts a different perspective on the season. There are several threads on credible candidates, DC also stated a high volume of interest. 

It will be nice if he can turn us into a team that’s hard to beat. I’m sick and tired of us rolling over for teams. As I’ve said I don’t think we have the players that can play his way, a big window coming up in January. It’s just crazy we have bought 9 players in on contracts that probably won’t all suit the way Pulis plays. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Not a fan then? 

I'm trying to glean any positive I can from this.

Perhaps I'm blinded by Monk getting sacked.

Monk had to go. There was nothing to show he could do anything with this team. He fell onto something in that BIrmingham match but Luongo getting injured meant we couldnt see if it was intentional or just luck, he was the only player we have capable of that role. Other than that i dont remember any other real positives. He got rid of people who were deemed bad apples but they werent properly replaced. Had to go.

Pulis doesnt bring a positive. Unless he has miraculously changed his complete philosophy on how football should be played we are now entering a period that could be the dullest in our history - on the back of 20 years where the majority of it has been pretty bad. We had that great year under Carlos, we had a year under Sturrock that was exciting if not beautiful and we had the promotion year with Megson/Jones which was built around solidity and X-factor loan signings.

I want a plan, someone who comes in and runs the club from the bottom up and creates a culture of attacking football. Monk apparently wanted to do it but his plan has brought in terrible results at all age groups. 

Given that i dont think we will go down this year anyway, now we've got those 6 points back, it could have been the ideal time to implement wholesale changes. get in a Lowe or a Cook or a Howe (if he could be persuaded) and change the club for the better.

Instead we'll get results but people will stop caring as much as no one will want to watch it. Results are obviously part of it but football should be entertaining. Pulis teams have never been entertaining. He's not changing now.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1