Team for Luton

21 hours ago, oldishowl said:

We have to become more consistent and settled in our formation and the way we play.

Without Luongo I expect this to be 3 at the back.

Players need to be given the chance to perform at their best by being played in a consistent position unless we are absolutely desperate.

Windass should be considered a striker, he didn’t do anything wherever he was playing Wednesday.

Tomorrow I would start Paterson and Marriott with Windass on the bench.

We have 4 possible wingbacks, play 2 , Harris and Reach tomorrow and don’t shoehorn any of the 4 elsewhere 

However I think Moses has done ok and really put the effort in so will be a bit unlucky to be left out.

It’s a tough ask playing wing back one game and centre back next against a top side. Especially when he used to play for them and they know his game so well.

Sounds like we might have enough fit centre backs so Flint, Van Aken and the fittest of Iorfa and Lees.

Midfield is a disaster area.

We have one consistent selection in Bannan and nobody else really.

Not good enough in a vital area of the team. I suppose the best we can hope for tomorrow is Joey,  Bannan and Brown.

To me that is too lightweight and the opposition know it and punish us for it.

You simply have to be physically up to it especially against the teams who base their game on physical presence.

We need to convert somebody into a defensive midfielder, out of Palmer, Iorfa or Moses 
I know it’s shoehorning but we need to try anything to strengthen that area or we will struggle.

Your right midfield is very weak

Brentford drove thro it time and again

Hopefully Luton wont be as quick,or we could be in trouble....

It feels like a very long time since we knew how to play, or had a team that knew how to play, at home.

We're almost completely set up as a very decent away side. Not a problem in itself.

But feels like we're going to be heavily reliant on someone like Brown to truly boss games at home and dominate teams, and someone like Marriott to be lethal with any chances created.

Edited by davey_wells
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Youd hope so, but then again if you watch Joey Pelupessy maybe they dont 

I know Pelupessy is not popular but he is capable of playing Def Mid against lower end opposition. He can break up play, he just offers nothing at all going forward. Luongo is much, much better x10 but he isn't available so Pelupessy  is the best we have for that position.

Personally I'd bring Palmer in as right sided CB, move Odubajo out to WB. Brown and Bannan in midfield with Joey and Reach at left WB. Marriott and Paterson up top.

11 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Don't see Rhodes starting personally.

Though if he is to play any part this season, I'd sooner he start than step from the bench where he has neither the pace nor physicality to trouble a tiring defence. 

Poaching is and always has been his game. Lurking. 

The chances of him coming good have dwindled to a little above zero.

From the bench....less than that. 

Interesting.

In his last 750 minutes he’s scored 4.

Compares favourably to Paterson, Marriot, Windass and Kachunga. Yet most fans would put Rhodes as 5th choice striker.

I think many are having their view coloured by 16/17 and 17/18, which are totally irrelevant.

My view - he’s a disappointment but I genuinely believe he and the team will score more goals with him playing than not. Have you spotted an obvious pairing from the other 4 yet? 

4 hours ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Whilst everything you say is true, since Pelupessy has been here every manager has had him in the matchday squad. Yet the majority of fans can see the lack of influence he has on a game. So your right they do see him as being more up to it that Waldock etc. But from my views of him as a player I honestly think its like playing with 10 men having Pelupessy in the side.

But he’s all we’ve got.

Isnt that the point?

18 hours ago, WalthamOwl said:

Hope Pelupessy doesn’t start, still see Harris as a bit of a weak link to be honest. Would Love Brown, Iorfa or Lees back. Hope to see Paterson and Marriott up top. 

Really? Harris?

I think he’s an excellent RWB.

Note - RIGHT wing-back. 

Never stops. Makes very few errors. Has now started putting over proper crosses. Pace. 

Really like him. Mr Reliable.

• Like 2

So if we continue with 3-5-2 it's either Palmer or Odubajo at right sided centre back.

Given that I'd be tempted to switch to 4-3-3.

Dawson

Odubajo       Flint      Van Aken     Penney

Palmer         Brown            Bannan

Harris                Paterson               Reach

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Whoever suits the formation best (and is available).

It's absolute nonsense talking about different formations for home and away.

Completely.

Home attendance 0

Away attendance 0

No sense in changing set-up or approach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prowl said:

I know Pelupessy is not popular but he is capable of playing Def Mid against lower end opposition. He can break up play, he just offers nothing at all going forward. Luongo is much, much better x10 but he isn't available so Pelupessy  is the best we have for that position.

Personally I'd bring Palmer in as right sided CB, move Odubajo out to WB. Brown and Bannan in midfield with Joey and Reach at left WB. Marriott and Paterson up top.

So in summary, playing Pelupessy is largely a wasted shirt.

4 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

So if we continue with 3-5-2 it's either Palmer or Odubajo at right sided centre back.

Dawson

Brown won’t play today-week or so off a return.

1 minute ago, York_Owl said:

Dawson

Penney is a weaker LB than Moses/Palmer at CB in a 3.

The beauty of our 352 is Harris and Reach. They have unreal energy. Just watch this afternoon how much deep defensive work they get through.

They are ideal in our system. Wouldn’t change it for a second.

Remember, they’ve only played RWB and LWB for the last 3 games. 

QPR 1-1 with Reach assist.

Birmingham 1-0

Brentford 1-2 with Harris assist

Its looking really good. Forget those games where Palmer, Moses and Penney were WB and Harris was on the wrong side. 

9 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Interesting.

In his last 750 minutes he’s scored 4.

Compares favourably to Paterson, Marriot, Windass and Kachunga. Yet most fans would put Rhodes as 5th choice striker.

I think many are having their view coloured by 16/17 and 17/18, which are totally irrelevant.

My view - he’s a disappointment but I genuinely believe he and the team will score more goals with him playing than not. Have you spotted an obvious pairing from the other 4 yet? 

Not really. Though I suspect Marriot and Paterson have been earmarked as the pairing whose attributes the coaching team think will complement each other.

I've no problem with Rhodes. He is what he is. Some think he's a spent force, busted flush etc.

Personally I don't think he looks any different to how he ever has in his career. He's just someone who gets on things in the box.

As I said...if he's to play any part in match day squads they may aswell start him.

From the bench he won't giv you the injection of drive that windass does. Or the pace Kachunga does. Or the physicality that Paterson does.

He hangs about.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Really? Harris?

I think he’s an excellent RWB.

Note - RIGHT wing-back. 

Never stops. Makes very few errors. Has now started putting over proper crosses. Pace. 

Really like him. Mr Reliable.

Agreed, defensively especially he has been superb. Needs to deliver more early crosses though.

5 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

I'd play Palmer in midfield ahead of Pelupessy.

Decent option, but he won’t.

Assuming it’s Joey-Bannan-Other I’m very confident. Joey is a good foil for Bannan. Knows his limits.

1 minute ago, Emilianenko said:

Agreed, defensively especially he has been superb. Needs to deliver more early crosses though.

Problem was on the left. Impossible to deliver quality early balls off his weak foot.

Im very very optimistic. If a Monk has FINALLY fixed on Reach left and Harris right we’ll get some high quality balls over.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Penney is a weaker LB than Moses/Palmer at CB in a 3.

The beauty of our 352 is Harris and Reach. They have unreal energy. Just watch this afternoon how much deep defensive work they get through.

They are ideal in our system. Wouldn’t change it for a second.

Remember, they’ve only played RWB and LWB for the last 3 games. 

QPR 1-1 with Reach assist.

Birmingham 1-0

Brentford 1-2 with Harris assist

Its looking really good. Forget those games where Palmer, Moses and Penney were WB and Harris was on the wrong side. 

I'm a bit more positive about Penney at LB.  I think he's a decent player and looked OK in the first two games at wing back.  But when you pick a back four we don't really have a single natural full back.

I like the 3-5-2 (it gives us the numbers in midfield that 4-4-2 doesn't) but just concerned about the lack of a right sided centre back.  Shame we didn't bring that Sanderson in before the deadline.